Do BETTER martial artists train ONE art or MANY arts?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Isn't there supposed to be a flow?

Yes and no. If you stick to a pattern it is easier to predict. Left hand,right hand,left kick and so on. Everything at the same speed and the same power.

But you can mix all of that up and keep the opponent guessing.
a flick out right round kick a hard left hook a hard right hand a hard right round kick.
so you are not always hitting like you are expected to.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes and no. If you stick to a pattern it is easier to predict. Left hand,right hand,left kick and so on. Everything at the same speed and the same power.

a flick out right round kick a hard left hook a hard right hand a hard right round kick.
None of that was kenpo, but yeah,,, keep 'em guessing is cool. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

But seriously, intead of a hook I would throw the same move from the same spot, but drop the foot back so it becomes a straight shot, making it kenpo-ish, but it opens you up to use a big TKD or Muay Thai round house, if you so desire, but we don't do a lot of hooks. :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But seriously, intead of a hook I would throw the same move from the same spot, but drop the foot back so it becomes a straight shot, making it kenpo-ish, but it opens you up to use a big TKD or Muay Thai round house, if you so desire, but we don't do a lot of hooks. :)

But everything at the same speed and power seems quite protracted, surely that kick would be the end game. Sorry, don't understand non variable pace?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But everything at the same speed and power seems quite protracted, surely that kick would be the end game. Sorry, don't understand non variable pace?
Or he easily puts at least three point of contact on your kick and violently pushes you off, if you are lucky. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How would that be in play if you have shaped for the ankle? Back fist would likely be countered by the opponent dropping. Maybe forearm smash. That is of course you could use the back fist at speed.
Right cross, return to opposite shoulder, drop the back knuckle low, just before you counter grab at the shoulder, with you opposite hand. Like in Lone Kimono.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jab works too, but Drop Bear may be referring to the Benny the Jet foot work stuff I was telling him about before. Check it out if you haven't already. I helped me. :)

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To become a better martial artist do you train SEVERAL arts simultaneously (or change arts over the course of your MA lifespan) or do you train ONE art to the exclusion of all others? Thank you. Jx
IMNSHO, it's kinda like college. One martial art should be your "major", and you spend the majority of your time training in it. However, some cross-training in other martial arts could be "electives" that support the major. You're not trying to become expert in those arts, you're simply becoming a more well-rounded martial artist in your own right.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMNSHO, it's kinda like college. One martial art should be your "major", and you spend the majority of your time training in it. However, some cross-training in other martial arts could be "electives" that support the major. You're not trying to become expert in those arts, you're simply becoming a more well-rounded martial artist in your own right.

We'd don't do the 'majoring' thing in UK education. You go to university to do a degree course so we'd be the one martial arts only ones. :)

toddfletcher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One martial art should be your "major"
I'll second that. Not sure if anyone else is like me, but I have a passion/addiction for my core style. I teach my students that 'black belt' means 'true student'. In other words, only after years of dedication to your first art are you even capable of really understanding and learning. So I will always be open to learning from any style or artist I meet, but I will continually return to my core style for the majority of my training.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
in regards to the OP I am not saying I am "A better martial artiest" but I kept my core style and practiced it no matter where I traveled. I also took the time to learn other styles/systems as I traveled around the country. Each new style I learned only added to my knowledge of the arts and helped me understand what I was doing better.
I added what I found useful to what I did and kept in mind what was not useful for me but might be to a student in the future. I still tell other instructors that I know and meet that I will "steal" any technique that is useful or that fills a gap in what I do.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like that removal of the barriers idea that you suggest.. I wonder can well-rounded, learning as much as possible and making an art your own to be as you say "great".. can these things happen through the study of one art / style / school of thought or system exclusively do you think? Jx

For some people perhaps, but not for me and the way I approach things.

Latest Discussions