Do BETTER martial artists train ONE art or MANY arts?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I give this example all the time,

Most of the best UFC fighters throughout its lifespan ahold multiple high ranks in multiple arts. They're usually BB's, even many even choose to study new arts while training in MMA, even at the UFC level. Anthony Pettis started capoeira after his debut I believe

bjj is moving towards that idea as well. Generally cross training in judo.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you choose in a fight? Kenpo Kicking or Tkd Kicking. If you choose TKD kicking, when were you planning on using kenpo? :)

The same way I choose any other technique in a fight. By deciding what is most likely to be the most effective under the specific circumstances at the time.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Better" is kind of a fuzzy word here... Better by what criteria? If by better you mean a world champion Judo player, well you should probably stick to Judo. Champion Boxer? stick to boxing. Unless better means "well-rounded" and able to work in any situation (on the ground, striking, range of weapons, etc.) then you will probably be cross-training a fair bit. Or maybe better just means it has the strongest effect on your health and well being? Then maybe it changes as your body changes, maybe you start in wrestling as a kid and are doing Tai-Chi at 75 years old.

I think as long as you are still having fun, learning, improving and staying healthy you are on the right path and the rest doesn't really matter much. If it's just staying where you are to grind out another belt and not really getting anywhere it's time to switch things up.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your TKD kick worked, wouldn't you naturally follow with more TKD? :)

Have I ever given the impression that I think there is only one valid solution to any particular situation?

Sometimes a kick to the head is the best solution. Sometimes a twist to the wrist is.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Better" is kind of a fuzzy word here... Better by what criteria? If by better you mean a world champion Judo player, well you should probably stick to Judo. Champion Boxer? stick to boxing. Unless better means "well-rounded" and able to work in any situation (on the ground, striking, range of weapons, etc.) then you will probably be cross-training a fair bit. Or maybe better just means it has the strongest effect on your health and well being? Then maybe it changes as your body changes, maybe you start in wrestling as a kid and are doing Tai-Chi at 75 years old.

I think as long as you are still having fun, learning, improving and staying healthy you are on the right path and the rest doesn't really matter much. If it's just staying where you are to grind out another belt and not really getting anywhere it's time to switch things up.
what would you yourself regard as a better / best kind of martial artist can I ask? Jx

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have I ever given the impression that I think there is only one valid solution to any particular situation?

Sometimes a kick to the head is the best solution. Sometimes a twist to the wrist is.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.
I don't speak for all Kenpo, but kenpo is about limiting yourself to the ideas taught in the first twenty or thirty tech ideas, which means you should look like you are doing a technique, even if you aren't. So, my kenpo is a lot like Wing Chun, in that respect. Now, add TKD to that, and it becomes unlimited. That sounds like what you want; so, we both win!!!!! :)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
what would you yourself regard as a better / best kind of martial artist can I ask? Jx

For me, being well rounded and learning as much as possible, not seeing things as separate "styles", it's all martial arts, take the parts that fit with what you do from anywhere you can and make it your own. Regardless of how you define "art" in the sense of martial arts it's not about imitation only, but creativity. Whether it is for aesthetic value, or as a skill (like woodworking) it should not be about doing your best to do things like someone else. That's a good place to start, just as it is in painting and woodworking, but if you stop at imitation without making your own you'll never be "great".

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your TKD kick worked, wouldn't you naturally follow with more TKD? :)
Why would you think that? If your first technique was effective, then the situation has now changed. Your opponent may now be at a different distance, moving in a different direction, attempting a different tactic, and reacting differently. There may be other tactical factors which have changed as well. Use the technique which is most appropriate for the moment at hand, not the moment that is past.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For me, being well rounded and learning as much as possible, not seeing things as separate "styles", it's all martial arts, take the parts that fit with what you do from anywhere you can and make it your own. Regardless of how you define "art" in the sense of martial arts it's not about imitation only, but creativity. Whether it is for aesthetic value, or as a skill (like woodworking) it should not be about doing your best to do things like someone else. That's a good place to start, just as it is in painting and woodworking, but if you stop at imitation without making your own you'll never be "great".
I like that removal of the barriers idea that you suggest.. I wonder can well-rounded, learning as much as possible and making an art your own to be as you say "great".. can these things happen through the study of one art / style / school of thought or system exclusively do you think? Jx

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why would you think that? If your first technique was effective, then the situation has now changed. Your opponent may now be at a different distance, moving in a different direction, attempting a different tactic, and reacting differently. There may be other tactical factors which have changed as well. Use the technique which is most appropriate for the moment at hand, not the moment that is past.
Isn't there supposed to be a flow?

toddfletcher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'll throw this out there.
I understand and have discussed the flow of fighting countless times over the years. Often each stage of the 'flow' is assigned certain styles. However, I would pose the question, if one planned on having to move through this flow during a fight, does that mean one plans to fail at all stages until the end? I realize that is a safer bet, but I have seen incredible kickers who would put you down with incredible deftness. I spoke with some younger guys (20's) that talk about needing to focus on BJJ "since all fights eventually go to the ground". But then I see their kicks and strikes and they suck (and obvious lack of sufficient training).. so of course they fail and have to fall into a clinch/throw/ground path. NOTE: I hold no disrespect for BJJ or any ground styles. I am studying Judo ATM to improve my own - as the majority of my training has been TKD & Kenpo. However I hold to the fact that if I could use my kicks to their fullest, their would be blown out knees, broken ribs, and head trauma before I 'fell' into the later half of said flow.

I am curious if anyone agrees, and not and why. TIA.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll throw this out there.
I understand and have discussed the flow of fighting countless times over the years. Often each stage of the 'flow' is assigned certain styles. However, I would pose the question, if one planned on having to move through this flow during a fight, does that mean one plans to fail at all stages until the end? I realize that is a safer bet, but I have seen incredible kickers who would put you down with incredible deftness. I spoke with some younger guys (20's) that talk about needing to focus on BJJ "since all fights eventually go to the ground". But then I see their kicks and strikes and they suck (and obvious lack of sufficient training).. so of course they fail and have to fall into a clinch/throw/ground path. NOTE: I hold no disrespect for BJJ or any ground styles. I am studying Judo ATM to improve my own - as the majority of my training has been TKD & Kenpo. However I hold to the fact that if I could use my kicks to their fullest, their would be blown out knees, broken ribs, and head trauma before I 'fell' into the later half of said flow.

I am curious if anyone agrees, and not and why. TIA.
I agree you can use TKD to avoid using Kenpo. :)

Latest Discussions