Difference Between Hitting Too Hard, and Being Too Experienced

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Recently I have noticed that while others in the club I occasion will mess with each other, they do not as much with me, as often. I am the most experienced, timewise, of those who frequent the club, but we hold a very clear, and upheld epistemology that regardless of rank, because we all hail from different styles, and have so many coming together, we are all equals, and learning from each other.

For several years I have coasted in my training, and lately have found my warrior spirit to renew the vigor in my training, and as such it has quickly brought me back to my skill level which I had regressed from.

I am only 22, and have over 7 punches in a second, and am currently at 30 kicks per leg, without having the urge to lower it. This is not to say I am great- having practiced 20 years, I know I am but at the first 1,000 feet of a mountain with literally no end, and 20 years, to the beginner seems so long, but it has been so short.

I no longer get to spar with people, and when I do, they often have to stop after fifteen minutes. I've seen people grow considerably in skill level through practicing with me, but of late, I must approach others, and almost force them into the ring. An individual who used to spar with me, months ago stopped, and it is only looking back and realizing there are few who want to spar with me I am forced to ask the question- am I going too hard? Or is it a matter of I am just beyond them, and I say that humbly.

I recall a master I had, who pointed out the importance of having decency when sparring. When practicing with another, hitting too hard makes others not desire to work with you, going too rough on people of lower skill level makes them fearful of participating. No one wants to get hurt, even if it's through something they enjoy doing.

However, I go to pains not to fight like that. To spar at the skill level, or slightly above where the other is at, that I can observe readily. When sparring in a style I share with the other, depending on their level I will constrain my range of techniques to what I know they know. I will not throw a crescent in to out kick, transition into a sliding axe-kick followed by side kick to a blue belt, but I will happily a 1st dan.

It is not a matter of being better- there is always someone faster, who hits harder, with better technique, but it is a matter of improving.

What do you guys think? Am I hitting too hard, or is it just I'm noticing the difference in skill level?

I don't think you're hitting too hard, and I don't think that you're "surpassing the others". There is a third option....

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looking at your page, I saw a pretty impressive list of rankings in many styles. I am curious, though, how you managed to train in ITF, WTF, Chung Do Kwan, and Moo Duk Kwan all at relatively the same time? That also doesn't include the Oh Do Kwan, Okinawan Karate, Jiu Jitsu, Kendo, Kickboxing, Boxing, Krav Maga, and so forth.

If you do really hold all of those 1st, 2nd, and 3rd dan rankings from those organizations, then your control should be quite impeccable, and your ability to deliver a clean, controlled shot with decent vigor should be unquestioned. If that is the case, then it shouldn't be due to your hitting too hard. As a result, one would conclude that they have probably surpassed you. That must be a very fearsome club, indeed!

I'm not going to kid you here. Throwing 7 punches in one second is pretty meaningless, especially when you consider that a properly thrown punch must have the lower body driving it as well. It is physically impossible to get that many hip twists done in one second. I would actually wager, that someone would rather absorb 7 of your punches, than to absorb one properly thrown punch with the lower body driving it.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I checked out your video and will say that you have some training but you are by no means good let alone great. Keep training and keep your mouth closed and some day you will be good. Be humble. Go back and read your posts and you will see that they are not humble ones at all.

This is you in the blue pants correct? You still have a long way to go.
[yt]EkiKjJ4ybu4[/yt]

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the editting to make the video look like a comic strip was appropriate....

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Zenjael, I am going to give you some advice and I will be as nice as possible, but you still might not like some of the things I have to say.

1. If you are a Head Instructor, you really shouldn't be looking at sparring with your students as a source of good sparring partners. You should be getting that from your peer group, order the supervision of YOUR instructor.

2. As the head instructor, you should be focused on TEACHING, not sparring, your students. You provide more benefit to them that way.

3. You're going to like this the least, but right now, I don't really think you SHOULD be a head instructor. Reasons:
A. You are still in the process of reaching maturity: physically, psychologically, and physiologically. That causes problems when trying to deal with interpersonal issues or discipline for students your that are your age or those any less than twelve years younger than you, for a variety of reasons.
B. From the way you write, it seems you are still developing the ability to clearly communicate your thoughts.
C. Even if you were adept at communicating your thought, it sounds like you have some gross misconceptions about what makes for good martial arts. For instance, throwing seven punches in a second isn't really a feat of skill. My wife can do that untrained. In any event, if there isn't any kinetic energy transferred in the punch, all seven punches are useless.
D. This thread is about you not getting something you want for yourself in a class you are supposedly TEACHING. That shows that your focus is on yourself, not your students. That is perfectly fine for a 22 year old student. It's even expected in an assistant instructor. It is unacceptable for a head instructor.
E. It doesn't sound like you have a mentor when it comes to teaching. You might be a fantastic martial artist. That doesn't make you a good teacher. Doesn't even make you a DECENT teacher. Teaching is a separate skill. And that also means you need someone to guide through the pitfalls of teaching, and can see hazards you wouldn't be able to see on your own.

4. I wouldn't really focus on the fact you've trained for 20 years. You, quite literally, don't have the body you trained in. You are just now STARTING to grow into your adult body. I don't know if you can possibly understand the importance of that statement, but you need to hear it.

5. You still have a long way to go in humility. I am certain you THINK you are being humble with your posts, and you likely ARE more humble than when you are in high school. But if you want to see real humility ask some of these guys making fun of you how they would estimate their own expertise. You would be surprised how many people on here have been training longer than you have been alive. Hell I have been training since I was five and I've only scratched the surface of the martial arts. Barely.

Some things to think about. I mean you no disrespect, and I don't want to turn you off of the martial arts. But you would do yourself a HUGE favor to be trained under some one with experience, and find people that are better than you to spar with.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

OP
Z

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I actually received something of an answer to this post, from within the group.

Today we practiced, as usual, 5 on 5 drill. Essentially one person attacks 5 times, while the other defends, then the defender switches to five offenses, and so on and so forth.

We had a guest, who was unaware of what the drill was. After it was explained, the president of our MA club added the remark (pardon me for not quoting it exactly, but this is essentially what was said) It's also a good drill for getting used to working with Alex, instead of just being thrown in the ring with him.

I specifically strive to remove aggression from contact sparring, so I know it is not the case in my heart that I am striking too hard. I think, unfortunately, I am being given a reputation, which whether due or undue, is the reason behind the lack of fellow practitioners approaching me to spar.

"1. If you are a Head Instructor, you really shouldn't be looking at sparring with your students as a source of good sparring partners. You should be getting that from your peer group, order the supervision of YOUR instructor."

I concur. However, when operating within a group where there is structure for one to advance in certified ranking ( as we all hail from different styles) and most do not attend schools, as they are college students who cannot afford it. So we meet together, and work out together in a space which has been allotted to us on campus. The president of our club, is a brown belt preparing for his shodan in Shotokan. He hardly ever spars, because he can be lethargic at times. We all can be. This is the reason I would like to spar with the people in the club, to help them grow.

2. As the head instructor, you should be focused on TEACHING, not sparring, your students. You provide more benefit to them that way.

Improvements in other's abilities will allow them to have practical insight to my own shortcomings, so that I may grow too. A teacher teaches not because they're better, but so they can learn, and improve as well. At least I try to.

3. You're going to like this the least, but right now, I don't really think you SHOULD be a head instructor.

I assure you, I take no offense from this statement. We have never met, and the exchange we have had, is limited through text. At four of the schools I have attended, within a year I was promoted to head instructor. To each their own, but I have never had a complaint as to my methos. Recall the subject of this is that I have been noting a recent, ongoing trend. Not that something was brought to my attention by someone else, or by a specific incident.

A. You are still in the process of reaching maturity: physically, psychologically, and physiologically. That causes problems when trying to deal with interpersonal issues or discipline for students your that are your age or those any less than twelve years younger than you, for a variety of reasons.

In many ways, who I am in the dojo is very different from who I am outside, at least when teachings. I will not tell jokes as often, nor try to humor the students. I put on my business face, so to speak, though I carry the spirit of my martial arts with me everywhere.

When I teach martial arts, or do any martial arts, I choose to interact with those who are mature enough to be taught. If someone who is 60 will not take what I have to offer because of my age, that is their choice, but you will find, in person, that age is probably the least of a factor to worry about concerning me.

Yes, I am 22, and in certain aspects, many, I act that way. But when it comes to martial arts... it's something important enough to me that I do check my emotions, my baggage... me, at the door, to the extent I can.

I'd like to say I completely do, but at the club I teach at we are a mature enough group that we can jest with each other about our backgrounds, or cultural differences. I think the seriousness and severity of martial arts must be tempered by humor. Hence why I enjoy Rus button so much.

B. From the way you write, it seems you are still developing the ability to clearly communicate your thoughts.

Give it a month and you'll find the eloquence much more appealing. Unfortunantely I am not used to communicating with martial artists in such numbers, so it has caused a bit of consternation for me in choosing what I would like to say. But I will never not admit when I am wrong, or when I have erred in communicating, and will always do my best to rectify that err.

C. Even if you were adept at communicating your thought, it sounds like you have some gross misconceptions about what makes for good martial arts. For instance, throwing seven punches in a second isn't really a feat of skill. My wife can do that untrained. In any event, if there isn't any kinetic energy transferred in the punch, all seven punches are useless.

I would not call it a punch, if there was not reason to. My own standard is that each strike must fully strike from hip, to full extension (for the sake of the exercise) with enough force to break a one-inch cinderblock. For example, if my hands collide (rarely happen) I'll restart the set from the beginning. The same for if I do not execute a punch properly.

D. This thread is about you not getting something you want for yourself in a class you are supposedly TEACHING. That shows that your focus is on yourself, not your students. That is perfectly fine for a 22 year old student. It's even expected in an assistant instructor. It is unacceptable for a head instructor.

For me, when I posted the thread, it is about how I have noticed a trend, two theories behind that trend, and what other martial artists think. The biggest point behind this thread, in all the conversation, was for the advanced readers to ask if this has ever happened, if they have ever seen it, and how they would handle the situation.

This thread is a lot less about me than one thinks, and moreso about us all growing. That was my intent, we don't always get what we want, though.

And I disagree with you. If teaching, from helping, to master of the dojang, it should be about who you are being taught, and if about you, how you can better teach. Always.

E. It doesn't sound like you have a mentor when it comes to teaching. You might be a fantastic martial artist. That doesn't make you a good teacher. Doesn't even make you a DECENT teacher. Teaching is a separate skill. And that also means you need someone to guide through the pitfalls of teaching, and can see hazards you wouldn't be able to see on your own.

The orginization I am contracter for where I teach martial arts has a nice pay incentive, where for every hour you shadow the head master for teaching, you receive a .05 pay raise, without limit.

I have had many good teachers. I feel I am a decent one, there is always room to grow. I've had multiple children I've taught, recalcitrant when starting, telling me they love martial arts because of the classes they have taken under me. This makes me happy. I am content with my teaching ability if my student enjoys the class, and is learning the techniques and agenda.

4. I wouldn't really focus on the fact you've trained for 20 years. You, quite literally, don't have the body you trained in. You are just now STARTING to grow into your adult body. I don't know if you can possibly understand the importance of that statement, but you need to hear it.

When I mention the length of time I have trained, it is as a reference, not out of pride. I consider 20 years on the low end of training, when in baguazhang some teachers were repudiated to live for centuries, and train for that long. I have not grown in the last 6 years, at least height-wise, and I don't believe I will. If I am like my father at all, my metabolism will begin to slow down considerable between 35-40.

Trust me, I am grateful for being this age, and am aware that I do not have forever with it. It is in part why I train extensively, especially now, while I still have the stamina to do so. I am also lucky I have a body which has more or less adapted for martial arts, in much the same way a gymnasts or avid horse-back riders will. Oddly enough, martial artists do carry their own physical appearance, is just doesn't show as much as others.

5. You still have a long way to go in humility. I am certain you THINK you are being humble with your posts, and you likely ARE more humble than when you are in high school. But if you want to see real humility ask some of these guys making fun of you how they would estimate their own expertise. You would be surprised how many people on here have been training longer than you have been alive. Hell I have been training since I was five and I've only scratched the surface of the martial arts. Barely.

I can see the prudence in this. I have known many people who have trained longer than I have- time is not something I choose to focus on when it comes to martial arts, save that concerning life, there just isn't enough of it to learn everything one desires to.

It is not time, or degree I respect. But ability, and nowhere near as much as one's philosophical insights into the art. Depth of understand, and ability to communicate it is what I value most in people I train with, and learn from.

Some things to think about. I mean you no disrespect, and I don't want to turn you off of the martial arts. But you would do yourself a HUGE favor to be trained under some one with experience, and find people that are better than you to spar with.

Outside of the club there are individuals I train with from past schools, who are on likewise ability level. They are who push me to become better, but then again, when I teach, the desire to communicate correctly what they seek to learn, also is a great incentive to improve, and do well.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Alrighty.

I actually received something of an answer to this post, from within the group.

Today we practiced, as usual, 5 on 5 drill. Essentially one person attacks 5 times, while the other defends, then the defender switches to five offenses, and so on and so forth.

We had a guest, who was unaware of what the drill was. After it was explained, the president of our MA club added the remark (pardon me for not quoting it exactly, but this is essentially what was said) It's also a good drill for getting used to working with Alex, instead of just being thrown in the ring with him.

I specifically strive to remove aggression from contact sparring, so I know it is not the case in my heart that I am striking too hard. I think, unfortunately, I am being given a reputation, which whether due or undue, is the reason behind the lack of fellow practitioners approaching me to spar.

Instructing is about Leadership. If They are deciding when and if and with who They Spar, well, thats 'interesting'. And Contact Sparring is not an exercise in Neutrality - Alot of People attribute Contact Sparring to fighting, even if it isnt as close as You can get to it; And may be lead to believe what Theyre practicing is how They would fight, which is a falsehood from what You have shown Us.

"1. If you are a Head Instructor, you really shouldn't be looking at sparring with your students as a source of good sparring partners. You should be getting that from your peer group, order the supervision of YOUR instructor."

I concur. However, when operating within a group where there is structure for one to advance in certified ranking ( as we all hail from different styles) and most do not attend schools, as they are college students who cannot afford it. So we meet together, and work out together in a space which has been allotted to us on campus. The president of our club, is a brown belt preparing for his shodan in Shotokan. He hardly ever spars, because he can be lethargic at times. We all can be. This is the reason I would like to spar with the people in the club, to help them grow.

I dont see the relevance to Josh's statement. It doesnt need to be Your Instructor, just people around Your apparent level.

Improvements in other's abilities will allow them to have practical insight to my own shortcomings, so that I may grow too. A teacher teaches not because they're better, but so they can learn, and improve as well. At least I try to.

So if I sparred someone I could plough to pieces, Theyd apparently learn from My Shortcomings, despite the fact many of them would be the biproduct of Self Restraint.

I assure you, I take no offense from this statement. We have never met, and the exchange we have had, is limited through text. At four of the schools I have attended, within a year I was promoted to head instructor. To each their own, but I have never had a complaint as to my methos. Recall the subject of this is that I have been noting a recent, ongoing trend. Not that something was brought to my attention by someone else, or by a specific incident.

Most people get complacent under Instruction, or assume that You know better than They do. Or They get caught up in the flash of it all, and bury their heads in the sand. If You want to find out for sure if what Youre doing is sound, find someone who has never had anything to do with You or Your Group or Your Affiliates, and ask Them to watch for a Class.

In many ways, who I am in the dojo is very different from who I am outside, at least when teachings. I will not tell jokes as often, nor try to humor the students. I put on my business face, so to speak, though I carry the spirit of my martial arts with me everywhere.

The relevance is again questionable.

When I teach martial arts, or do any martial arts, I choose to interact with those who are mature enough to be taught. If someone who is 60 will not take what I have to offer because of my age, that is their choice, but you will find, in person, that age is probably the least of a factor to worry about concerning me.

Yes, I am 22, and in certain aspects, many, I act that way. But when it comes to martial arts... it's something important enough to me that I do check my emotions, my baggage... me, at the door, to the extent I can.

It isnt so much emotional. Its Experience. You will have no idea how inexperienced You really are, until Youre more experienced, and look back on it.

I'd like to say I completely do, but at the club I teach at we are a mature enough group that we can jest with each other about our backgrounds, or cultural differences. I think the seriousness and severity of martial arts must be tempered by humor. Hence why I enjoy Rus button so much.

Relevance.

Give it a month and you'll find the eloquence much more appealing. Unfortunantely I am not used to communicating with martial artists in such numbers, so it has caused a bit of consternation for me in choosing what I would like to say. But I will never not admit when I am wrong, or when I have erred in communicating, and will always do my best to rectify that err.

We shall see.

I would not call it a punch, if there was not reason to. My own standard is that each strike must fully strike from hip, to full extension (for the sake of the exercise) with enough force to break a one-inch cinderblock. For example, if my hands collide (rarely happen) I'll restart the set from the beginning. The same for if I do not execute a punch properly.

But this does not seem to be being reflected in the Application of Punches shown. Perhaps You should look into that.

For me, when I posted the thread, it is about how I have noticed a trend, two theories behind that trend, and what other martial artists think. The biggest point behind this thread, in all the conversation, was for the advanced readers to ask if this has ever happened, if they have ever seen it, and how they would handle the situation.

Hehe. Something to keep in mind: Youre not going to get the replies You want out of things like this - Consider that to a degree, You inevitably expected a certain answer from them. They have disagreed, and pushed right into a contrary point, which is hard to refute, if not impossible. So far, You at least havent ran away when the going didnt go how You wanted it to.

This thread is a lot less about me than one thinks, and moreso about us all growing. That was my intent, we don't always get what we want, though.

You made it about You. About You thinking that You were hitting too hard, or You thinking that You were too experienced. Were not going to turn that into a metaphysical growth.

And I disagree with you. If teaching, from helping, to master of the dojang, it should be about who you are being taught, and if about you, how you can better teach. Always.

Youre on the right track there - But Theory is different to Execution. In theory, we are all unstoppable fighting machines.

The orginization I am contracter for where I teach martial arts has a nice pay incentive, where for every hour you shadow the head master for teaching, you receive a .05 pay raise, without limit.

No Comment.

I have had many good teachers. I feel I am a decent one, there is always room to grow. I've had multiple children I've taught, recalcitrant when starting, telling me they love martial arts because of the classes they have taken under me. This makes me happy. I am content with my teaching ability if my student enjoys the class, and is learning the techniques and agenda.

The correct reply would have been, "I have had many good Teachers. I try to do My best, but there are alot of areas I need to work on." Kids are even more privy to flash than others, and are even more likely to become complacent in a head-buried-in-sand Martial Arts Ninja Fun House. Its cool that They enjoy it, but enjoying and ultimately standing to gain are separable.

When I mention the length of time I have trained, it is as a reference, not out of pride. I consider 20 years on the low end of training, when in baguazhang some teachers were repudiated to live for centuries, and train for that long. I have not grown in the last 6 years, at least height-wise, and I don't believe I will. If I am like my father at all, my metabolism will begin to slow down considerable between 35-40.

I dont think many folks mind about 20 Years not making You a Master. I for one dont approve of the idea of needing to Train for plus of 30 Years to be a Head Instructor, but if You do, of course Youll be a better one as a result. But it means alot of what You learnt, You learnt as a kid. About 12 Years of Your Training was more than likely dumbed down.

Trust me, I am grateful for being this age, and am aware that I do not have forever with it. It is in part why I train extensively, especially now, while I still have the stamina to do so. I am also lucky I have a body which has more or less adapted for martial arts, in much the same way a gymnasts or avid horse-back riders will. Oddly enough, martial artists do carry their own physical appearance, is just doesn't show as much as others.

Thats true, but its also coincidence. I can tell the difference between a Boxer and a Weightlifter for example, but try to compare a Karateka to a Judoka, and You can give up now. (In Plain Clothes, of course)

I can see the prudence in this. I have known many people who have trained longer than I have- time is not something I choose to focus on when it comes to martial arts, save that concerning life, there just isn't enough of it to learn everything one desires to.

There is. But that depends on how much You desire to learn. If You aim to learn so much it would take more than Your Lifetime, perhaps lower the bar.

It is not time, or degree I respect. But ability, and nowhere near as much as one's philosophical insights into the art. Depth of understand, and ability to communicate it is what I value most in people I train with, and learn from.

Im sure Your Philosophical Pursuits are swell. But Martial Arts, even ones with hefty Philosophies, are as much about Violence as sugar coating it with Philosophical 'Insight'. I personally dont mind, because I can and have chosen to not pursue them in the slightest.

Outside of the club there are individuals I train with from past schools, who are on likewise ability level. They are who push me to become better, but then again, when I teach, the desire to communicate correctly what they seek to learn, also is a great incentive to improve, and do well.

Did They teach You that standing on one leg and doing several kicks is a good idea, or was that someone else? Or was it the lack of being informed otherwise?

Just My Contribution.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In regards to the original question,
I doubt either of your concerns are why people don't spar with you. If you are in a teaching position, then perhaps they do not want to spar with you because it is awkward to compete against the person teaching you as you either get your *** kicked for no reason, or beat him and wonder what the hell you are doing taking lessons from him in the first place.

OP
Z

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So if I sparred someone I could plough to pieces, Theyd apparently learn from My Shortcomings, despite the fact many of them would be the biproduct of Self Restraint.

I wouldn't say so. When I work with people below my level, that is when I practice implementing techniques im not comfortable with in sparring. This way we both grow. If you can plough them to pieces, then why fight? You wont grow, ull just hurt them. But it is a good opportunity for you to return to the basics, and experiment, and grow yourself.

It isnt so much emotional. Its Experience. You will have no idea how inexperienced You really are, until Youre more experienced, and look back on it.

I think for people who truly care about continuing to grow, and never ceasing to, they hold this view. I enjoyed Bruce Lee's films, but I like his quotes. "I am not a master, I am a master-student."

Hehe. Something to keep in mind: Youre not going to get the replies You want out of things like this - Consider that to a degree, You inevitably expected a certain answer from them. They have disagreed, and pushed right into a contrary point, which is hard to refute, if not impossible. So far, You at least havent ran away when the going didnt go how You wanted it to.

For the conversation to allow choice for the reader themself to choose what they would do for themself, differing opinion is necessary... or there is no choice to glean from this thread apart to follow what we're all agreeing or not. I'd prefer people to disagree, if they sincerely do, but respectfully.

You made it about You. About You thinking that You were hitting too hard, or You thinking that You were too experienced. Were not going to turn that into a metaphysical growth.

I feel responsible that for something pertinent in my life, which raised a question, made me wonder if others have ever felt the same feeling, or perhaps know of others experiencing it. I do not mind letting others pick me apart because I think most martial artists arent hypocrites and will follow their own advice, and by repeating it to me, or others, they may engrain it further in their utilization of it.

A lot of people know what's in the book, but they don't know how to use it. Conversations like this I hope give chance to this. I hope this convo warns people that going too hard can have consequences on their own ability to practice.

The correct reply would have been, "I have had many good Teachers. I try to do My best, but there are alot of areas I need to work on." Kids are even more privy to flash than others, and are even more likely to become complacent in a head-buried-in-sand Martial Arts Ninja Fun House. Its cool that They enjoy it, but enjoying and ultimately standing to gain are separable.

This is very true. Many techniques in martial arts, breaking especially, were designed to impress. Kicking an apple off a sword I think is a technique designed to entertain children specifically. When I teach, the idea of a student of mine getting injured because I improperly taught them horrifies me. I teach what I know works. I do not mind learning flashy techniques myself, for I enjoy learning all aspects of martial arts. But I do not want to impress it upon a group which is impressionable, and could be hurt by it.

I dont think many folks mind about 20 Years not making You a Master. I for one dont approve of the idea of needing to Train for plus of 30 Years to be a Head Instructor, but if You do, of course Youll be a better one as a result. But it means alot of what You learnt, You learnt as a kid. About 12 Years of Your Training was more than likely dumbed down.

I don't think becoming a 'master' truly matters. It is a title, but it is more about ego than anything else, in many cases. I am happy if I can execute a technique properly, and can convey it to anyone who wishes to learn from me.

Thats true, but its also coincidence. I can tell the difference between a Boxer and a Weightlifter for example, but try to compare a Karateka to a Judoka, and You can give up now. (In Plain Clothes, of course)

It could be. A person I train with began at a young age like me, and experiences a lot of the same symptoms I do. We both have a defined muscle on our side which can get caught on our hip. We both have blood circulation which is very slow, as both our hearts beat about 40-50 times a minute. Neither of us have defective hearts however. Another example is that much of the muscle we've developed in martial arts doesnt actually show until used. I've found this in multiple people who grew up from a young age, performing the art. They'll look skinnybones, but get the shirt off and once they throw a technique, BOOM.

There is. But that depends on how much You desire to learn. If You aim to learn so much it would take more than Your Lifetime, perhaps lower the bar.

When a road never ends, it's less about the journey, and what you get out of it.

Did They teach You that standing on one leg and doing several kicks is a good idea, or was that someone else? Or was it the lack of being informed otherwise?

Why would it be bad to perform techniques like this? It builds great leg strength, flexibility, and balance. When one kicks in certain styles in their forms or katas, they lock their kick out, holding it for a half second or longer. Would you do that on the street, no way. There's a time and place for everything, and in martial arts, there are a lot of situations which call for one to learn techniques one wouldn't ever use for self-defense.

I learned how to a 540 for example, not to learn how to employ the kick in combat, but to get a better feeling of what it's like to spin in the air, and feel torque before I begin learning parkour. It also allows me to develop greater inertia control when performing rotations in bagua.

The technique where one does a 360 jump in a backstance, and land in the same position, is useless in a fight. But you'll damn well learn how to tuck your legs and jump like a G. Some techniques are not for combat, they are there to improve other techniques you would use in combat.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't say so. When I work with people below my level, that is when I practice implementing techniques im not comfortable with in sparring. This way we both grow. If you can plough them to pieces, then why fight? You wont grow, ull just hurt them. But it is a good opportunity for you to return to the basics, and experiment, and grow yourself.

Right. Now what happens if all Your Techniques are basic, and there arent any advanced things You need to practice, and the only option is to correctly apply what You have been taught, in the simplest most effective ways possible? The answer is, it cant be done properly without either allowing Them to do all the work, or going half pace. Im comfortable with every 'technique', because We dont have a huge number of them. And if We did, all it would be doing is causing them to try and learn from You, and learn the wrong stuff.

I think for people who truly care about continuing to grow, and never ceasing to, they hold this view. I enjoyed Bruce Lee's films, but I like his quotes. "I am not a master, I am a master-student."

Well, Im no fan of Bruce Lee. But I fail to see how this acknowledges what Im saying. Even if I look back a couple of Months, I can see how much better Ive gotten. I shant call it 'growing', but rather refining.

For the conversation to allow choice for the reader themself to choose what they would do for themself, differing opinion is necessary... or there is no choice to glean from this thread apart to follow what we're all agreeing or not. I'd prefer people to disagree, if they sincerely do, but respectfully.

I disagree with You and Your Title as Head Instructor, as well as much of Your Idealogy.

I feel responsible that for something pertinent in my life, which raised a question, made me wonder if others have ever felt the same feeling, or perhaps know of others experiencing it. I do not mind letting others pick me apart because I think most martial artists arent hypocrites and will follow their own advice, and by repeating it to me, or others, they may engrain it further in their utilization of it.

I dont really need to follow My own advice - I came to many of My Conclusions long ago, and They have yet to fail Me.

A lot of people know what's in the book, but they don't know how to use it. Conversations like this I hope give chance to this. I hope this convo warns people that going too hard can have consequences on their own ability to practice.

Unless the System Youre learning is all about BEING hard. About always hitting HARDER, and FASTER. Chaining together MORE strikes, and PUSHING. You can teach People to be stronger, and harder. And the types of people who dont take well to that kind of pressure, dont last under that type of method. And I approve of it completely.

Is it MJS, who attended a Kyokushin Dojo of similar girth? I dont clearly recall. They can point themself out.

This is very true. Many techniques in martial arts, breaking especially, were designed to impress. Kicking an apple off a sword I think is a technique designed to entertain children specifically. When I teach, the idea of a student of mine getting injured because I improperly taught them horrifies me. I teach what I know works. I do not mind learning flashy techniques myself, for I enjoy learning all aspects of martial arts. But I do not want to impress it upon a group which is impressionable, and could be hurt by it.

And yet, when You Spar, You drain the efficiency out of it.

I don't think becoming a 'master' truly matters. It is a title, but it is more about ego than anything else, in many cases. I am happy if I can execute a technique properly, and can convey it to anyone who wishes to learn from me.

I feel that Experience means being better at doing - Not so much about Teaching. Teaching is a choice, not the skillset.

It could be. A person I train with began at a young age like me, and experiences a lot of the same symptoms I do. We both have a defined muscle on our side which can get caught on our hip. We both have blood circulation which is very slow, as both our hearts beat about 40-50 times a minute. Neither of us have defective hearts however. Another example is that much of the muscle we've developed in martial arts doesnt actually show until used. I've found this in multiple people who grew up from a young age, performing the art. They'll look skinnybones, but get the shirt off and once they throw a technique, BOOM.

Interesting. I gained a fair bit of Muscular Scale from Martial Arts without doing any specific exercises for it whatsoever.

When a road never ends, it's less about the journey, and what you get out of it.

Yeah. Except itll take Your whole life to never achieve a notable point in the Journey. Its stale progress, that could easily be replaced by just Training, instead of glorifying it.

Why would it be bad to perform techniques like this? It builds great leg strength, flexibility, and balance. When one kicks in certain styles in their forms or katas, they lock their kick out, holding it for a half second or longer. Would you do that on the street, no way. There's a time and place for everything, and in martial arts, there are a lot of situations which call for one to learn techniques one wouldn't ever use for self-defense.

Thats because Kata are moving records. Not depictions of fighting. Its like a book, only made of movements. And if You take Your own advice, Youll only do drills especially for that, and not use it in exercises such as Sparring, or Scenario Based Drills. And I disagree with having to learn things Youd never use in Self Defense. Ive never learnt any jumpy spinny 540 kicks, I never will, I see no need to, and it certainly isnt holding Me back.

I learned how to a 540 for example, not to learn how to employ the kick in combat, but to get a better feeling of what it's like to spin in the air, and feel torque before I begin learning parkour. It also allows me to develop greater inertia control when performing rotations in bagua.

Good for You.

The technique where one does a 360 jump in a backstance, and land in the same position, is useless in a fight. But you'll damn well learn how to tuck your legs and jump like a G. Some techniques are not for combat, they are there to improve other techniques you would use in combat.

And yet, it actually does have a purpose. Just not an apparent one. If You interprit Kata literally, Youll get some strange interpritations. The part You just mentioned, I cannot remember the use of. But I do recall it had something to do with grabbing someones arm first. Ill let someone else fill in that blank.* *Ill leave that there, but I recalled. It is a jump. Thats exactly what it is. A jump. Youre learning how to jump like that, with the intent of being able to Jump. Yes, some things are not for Combat. But theres a difference between not being for combat, and not being for anything other than showcasing or 'balance', both of which can be done better.

*nods

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To adress the OP, I have seen your video... well several minutes of it anyway. No, I don't think you are hitting too hard.

More often than not you are too far away to hit at all. Others have given better critiques than I care too. I'd suggest going very slow and easy on any lower level students you train. Sometimes give them openings... let them hit you. You can take it. Train them, don't beat them. Then, especially as you are only 22 and seem to be pretty game, put on some gloves and try some contact work with your peers. It will change your perspective more than anything you read here. And have fun.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To adress the OP, I have seen your video... well several minutes of it anyway. No, I don't think you are hitting too hard.

More often than not you are too far away to hit at all. Others have given better critiques than I care too. I'd suggest going very slow and easy on any lower level students you train. Sometimes give them openings... let them hit you. You can take it. Train them, don't beat them. Then, especially as you are only 22 and seem to be pretty game, put on some gloves and try some contact work with your peers. It will change your perspective more than anything you read here. And have fun.

But come on now....contact is the devil...LOL!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

How about MAN UP and GET HIT?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the kid wants to fit in. But I really think he doesn't know how. Mentors / Mods, take it easy on him. Although I agree with you, he needs you to guide him. I remember when I was 22...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about MAN UP and GET HIT?

Our conditioning coach (a Scots Guards Sgt. Maj) will, when someone is hurting go up to them and ask all gentle like if they are hurting, mislead by this approach they usually whimper that it hurts so then he roars at them in a fine Glasgow accent..'then awa an get yersel a cup of man up son!'

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I think the kid wants to fit in. But I really think he doesn't know how. Mentors / Mods, take it easy on him. Although I agree with you, he needs you to guide him. I remember when I was 22...

:xtrmshock Tames D :bangahead:... have not seen you in a while...glad to see you back posting.:asian:

And I agree with your post.

Latest Discussions