what do you think?

karatekid13

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have been doing martial arts for a little over a year now. the style i do is a karate-based mixed style with a big emphasis on self-defense. (after blue belt, no more forms, just wristlocks, headlocks, throws, sparring, etc.) i'm a purple belt rite now. the minimum training time is one hour per week (all ranks) but I do more like 2+ hours per week training and a couple more hours of helping with younger kid's classes. i have learned alot and feel like the teacher really knows what he's doing and cares about the students (and is willing to work with them... e.g. even if someone did not perform 100% on a test, if that student has shown in class that they "know their stuff" then they may still be allowed to pass.) He (the teacher) isn't just "in it for the money" and really cares about learning. belts are EARNED not GIVEN as he always reminds us. does this sound like a good school?

-catie

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I really do not know if it is a good school based on just what you typed. But if I am just basing what you wrote it sounds like a good teacher and school.
If you have a teacher saying he learned from a secret teacher but he is nice and doesn't teach for the money I'd say the school may not be that great but
if you enjoy the training than the school is ideal for you. There is many things that can make a good school or a bad one but if you are happy with your training
and feel it is what you are looking for than more power to ya.

OP
K

karatekid13

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
thanks for the quick reply! my teacher is entirely open and honest about who he learned from. I guess my only thought is that the teacher is not strict enough, the art is not hard enough, etc. but I am very very prone to worrying about things that don't need to be worried about ;) so I'm pretty sure that's all that is. also in terms of student pass/fail rate: most students do pass, but there are always a few who don't. White to orange belts TEST every other month (yet are not guaranteed at promotion every time by any means). Advanced ranks test when the teacher feels we are ready, and we can choose not to (even if invited). Testing is free.

Thanks

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its hard to say.
It seems to be, Yes.

Are there Self Defense themed Drills?
Such as, having someone attack You in any way They see fit to guage Your ability to respond?

bjjcompete

White Belt
Reaction score
To be honest it is tough for me to tak karate or Tae Kwon Do seriously. I have studied both but now I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. TKD and Karate have like a million belts (13 at the school I trained at) to get to black belt but you can test and get to the next level every 2 months or so. It just seems like a ploy to do lots of $50 belt tests so sucker kids and their parents out of money. You don't even need to spar and show you know how to use your skills in a realistic setting to move up. If you try BJJ for a month you will laugh at yourself for ever doing karate. I wish I didn't waste a year with TKD getting to a green belt.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You do realize not all karate schools are the same. Not all styles are the same. Kinda silly to paint all karate schools under one brush. We dont have 13 belts we do spar we def dont test every 2 months and we dont charge testing fees until black belt. Im glad you found a school you like but to say karate is not serious is silly. Ive seen some VERY sloppy and comical BJJ schools pop up due tobthe popularity of the UFC but i would never judge other schools on one or two bad ones.

To be honest it is tough for me to tak karate or Tae Kwon Do seriously. I have studied both but now I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. TKD and Karate have like a million belts (13 at the school I trained at) to get to black belt but you can test and get to the next level every 2 months or so. It just seems like a ploy to do lots of $50 belt tests so sucker kids and their parents out of money. You don't even need to spar and show you know how to use your skills in a realistic setting to move up. If you try BJJ for a month you will laugh at yourself for ever doing karate. I wish I didn't waste a year with TKD getting to a green belt.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
That, Good Sir, is called McDojos.

You are free to favor a Martial Art, but downtalking others over a bad experience, thereby generalizing the entire Systems is foolhardy.
I tried Judo in the distant past, and never much cared for either of them. You dont hear Me telling People to go find decent TKD Dojangs and laugh at the time They wasted doing Judo.

Everything You just described is the opposite of how Karate and Taekwondo are; What You described is the same thing You will find at any Outlet for any Martial Art if it is being taught poorly. That is the OUTLET - Not the System. The Systems are sound. That doesnt mean the people running the Dojo/Dojang have the wisest intentions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oQ5ROZC4Yc&list=WLEAB784316E1B7788&index=24&feature=plpp_video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryZ821S1gg4&list=WLEAB784316E1B7788&index=25&feature=plpp_video

Its kinda like how some BJJ Outlets only teach the Ground Fighting Aspects, as being intended to be used in conjunction with MMA, or otherwise Crosstraining; Whilst others will actually directly teach a Defense against Strikes.

And Your first thought may be memories of all those Defenses You more than likely have learnt against Strikes, and wondering how one could possibly hope to use strikes as a result - Consider that You are being taught to fight with a Mindset; A Mindset to Fight in that way. Strikers are being taught to fight with a different Mindset altogether, which works just as well, otherwise Striking would be essentially useless in Mixed Martial Arts Competitions, because itd universally end poorly. But it doesnt, because both methods work. And good Karate/Taekwondo will EMPHASISE Striking, albeit not teach it as being strictly the only thing They do. Much like how most good BJJ Outlets will Emphasise Grappling, but incorporate Striking. The same can be said of Pankration, Sambo, JJ, or whatnot*. Then theres the barrier of Rules. Have You learnt to Eye Gorge someone when They Front or Side Mount You?

All I suggest, is being open to the fact that what You saw is not the Standard. It is depressingly common though.

Welcome to the Forum, Good Sir :)

*EDIT: To list the best example of all, Aikido.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To the OP its hard to tell if its a good school or not but our opinion shouldnt matter anyway. If you enjoy where you go. You enjoy your teacher your having fun and if you feel what your learning can help you if you need it then for you its a good school. You seem to enjoy it and like your teacher so thats good. You may be having doubts so you posted the question thats normal you dont want to waist your time only to learn you have been getting scammed. If its really botherig you id suggwst going and looking at other schools just to see how they compare. You may find a place you like better or you may see your current place is where your ment to be. Only you can tell if its right for you.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yes there are Mcdojo's like that out there. Also there are good and serious schools that teach styles of karate that have proven themselves in real situations. These styles have proven themselves applicable and efficient in self defense when its for real! So to say that all Dojo's are the same in either Karate or TKD is not accurate. In TKD for instance, I have seen schools that train 'Olympic style' and I would say are all but useless for self defense, but others that are also called TKD that teach the same as the ROK Rangers and ROK Marines train in, and are very much useful.
Karate has several styles from Okinawa, where Karate came from, and then also styles that the Japanese altered from the original Okinawan styles, and ones that the Koreans modified from the Okinawan systems too.
As to BJJ my friend, I know people who train in it 5 days a week and a couple who teach it. Most of them including the instructors will tell you that it is really not the best choice in general for the street. That is not to say it does not have some things that are nice to know for the street.

But I think you have decided what you wish to train in and I hope you do well in it.

OP
K

karatekid13

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow-- thanks for all the feedback!! :) Lemme see if I can reply to all the questions ... Yes, we do self-defense themed drills... Such as "someone is going to choke you unless you do something" etc. also rolling/falling drills, and others. Sparring: it's not required until advanced ranks (green belt) but most people do it before. We do some continuos and some point sparring, both with medium contact. As I said before, there is a very strong emphasis on self defense. I feel confident that I could defend myself in a "street fight" situation. The teacher is more interested in us LEARNING to defend ourselves well than doing katas, one-steps, etc. (though we do some of those) Testing is absolutely free... The only potential fee is if you pass your test, buying a belt. ($8) to bjjcompete: the only aspect of that that we have is testing every 2 months (for beginner ranks) but testing is free. We "borrow" most of our self defense stuff from hapkido, aikido, jujitsu, judo, etc. so please stop bashing all karate-based styles... We don't just do punches and kicks :)

Oh yes... And "testing" does not always mean "passing" even at low ranks. There have been kids who were white belts for quite a while...

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow-- thanks for all the feedback!! :) Lemme see if I can reply to all the questions ... Yes, we do self-defense themed drills... Such as "someone is going to choke you unless you do something" etc. also rolling/falling drills, and others. Sparring: it's not required until advanced ranks (green belt) but most people do it before. We do some continuos and some point sparring, both with medium contact. As I said before, there is a very strong emphasis on self defense. I feel confident that I could defend myself in a "street fight" situation. The teacher is more interested in us LEARNING to defend ourselves well than doing katas, one-steps, etc. (though we do some of those) Testing is absolutely free... The only potential fee is if you pass your test, buying a belt. ($8) to bjjcompete: the only aspect of that that we have is testing every 2 months (for beginner ranks) but testing is free. We "borrow" most of our self defense stuff from hapkido, aikido, jujitsu, judo, etc. so please stop bashing all karate-based styles... We don't just do punches and kicks :)

Oh yes... And "testing" does not always mean "passing" even at low ranks. There have been kids who were white belts for quite a while...

Katas and One Steps have their place - Theyre a bit of an indirect method, but They have good purposes for existing. It sounds like Youre learning decent material, anyway.
Just remember that Confidence, for all its substantial worth, can also lead to underestimation :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

I wish I didn't waste a year with TKD getting to a green belt.

I got no further than green belt in TKD many years ago as it was difficult to get to the tests because of my job. I now consider myself a Hapkidoist. But I never thought my time in TKD was wasted. I learned some very useful things studying TKD. I am sorry that you didn't.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
To Karatekid13 - There is no way I can judge your school. It sounds like you like everything except not feeling challenged enough. Perhaps you should talk to your teacher about that. Or find ways to challenge yourself.

Learning katas would be one way. Do you see any self defense in kata? If your school is borrowing Hapkido and Aikido techniques, have you seen any of those techniques in any katas? Maybe your aren't doing advanced enough kata, but they all give you practice against multiple opponents, and sometimes techniques are hidden in "artful" moves.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You've been unlucky in your choice of martial arts school/club, that doesn't mean though you know every single style, club and school around the world to say that TKD and Karate are rubbish. I can tell you a couple of places where the BJJ is taught badly and if that was the only place you'd ever been to you'd say BJJ was rubbish.

For the OP I hope when you are learning your katas you are also given the Bunkai for them, so many people think kata is useless because they don't know what it's for. Kata is for learning to defend yourself, not to dance around going 'oh look at me'.
http://iainabernethy.co.uk/article/basics-bunkai-part-1

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

First of all, welcome to Martialtalk.com.

You seem to be quite passionate about your art and your training, and that's to be admired. However, you may want to think about what you're posting before hitting that post button, since your statement can be interpreted as art-bashing, something that is NOT tolerated in this community.

From our rules and policies:

1.10.2 No Art bashing.

No one art is "the best", no one "style" is the best. All have their strengths and weaknesses. Do your research and find what best fits your ability and need.

-Ronald Shin
-MT Assistant Administrator

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to Martialtalk.com.

You seem to be quite passionate about your art and your training, and that's to be admired. However, you may want to think about what you're posting before hitting that post button, since your statement can be interpreted as art-bashing, something that is NOT tolerated in this community.

From our rules and policies:

[/FONT]

-Ronald Shin
-MT Assistant Administrator
Ill just approve of this course of action here - Since A: Hes New, and B: He may be sufficiently wise as to approach our Replies with Interest, as opposed to Skepticism, in which case We may have benefited His Knowledge.
And C: Its a heads up, and not an intervention. Which I consider here to be the perfect course of action.

OP
K

karatekid13

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We do some katas... Just not much after blue belt (though we still need I know our old katas)

OP
K

karatekid13

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
no. but we do many other self-defense drills. the kata mostly help with learning moves, i believe.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, I will say that there is alot of crap out there, however, there are alot of quality ones out there as well. As for the belts...well, sadly, some people do put more of a focus on getting new belts every other week, instead of putting in the time, the blood, sweat and tears. However, there are some schools that have only a handful, and you test when the inst. feels that you're ready.