Am I too old to continue my training?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I began practicing kenpo and learning various other martial arts from uncle when I was 14. The only dojo I have ever been a part of was a Kenpo dojo. I love the style and got only to yellow belt, I could no longer afford the lessons and then my family moved.

I am now 26 going on 27 and many people along with other martial artists have said I am very talented and I continue to practice and develop my skills wherever and whenever possible. I have sparred with purple belts and other people of various figting styles and have been able to not only keep up with them but win as well.

It is my desire to get back into a dojo and compete, I want to earn a black belt from a great dojo so I can then teach martial arts. My question is is it too late for me to gain the experiences such as fighting in competitions and mastering a martial art so I can then teach it before I am as old as dirt?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell no! You're still a pup...

You've got a dream, make it happen.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, as I have said many times before at similar questions..... I got leather jackets older than you..... so no.... you're not to old.... not even close

MartialMasters

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That's a fair question. 27 is really old for a Bear (haven't you all seen his photo and username?)

Not really a problem for humans, though!
There are a few very specific areas at the very highest level of athletic performance where sometimes people retire in their late twenties and early thirties...but I don't see that often in the martial arts. Especially not with teachers. You're almost never too old to teach (if that is indeed an end goal...it's certainly a good one)!
Some of the most terrifying and skilled fighters I've encountered (I mean this in a good way) were in their 40's and 50's!
All the best teachers I ever had were over 30.

Everyone has ebbs and flows in what they want to focus on and accomplish. Ride the wave you're on now, keep ascending!
Then, when hoping to focus more on teaching, that's a whole new adventure in and of itself!

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This forum leans a bit towards the older side, so lots of us are going to be chuckling at your question. As an example, I'm about twice your age, but we have plenty of posters senior to me.

To answer your questions ...

You're nowhere near too old to resume your training.
You're not too old to get a black belt.
You're not too old to get good at a martial art (or multiple arts)
You're not too old to become a teacher.
You're not too old to compete - however, there are some realistic limitations. You're not going to get into the Olympics. You're not going to win the Mundials. You're highly unlikely to start a successful professional boxing, kickboxing, or MMA career. (Then again, the same thing can be said for the overwhelming majority of people start when they are younger as well.) If you just want a chance to win some trophies at a local tournament, you'll be fine.

I want to earn a black belt from a great dojo so I can then teach martial arts.

Just so you know, in many styles a 1st-degree black belt is not necessarily a teaching rank.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What's up with the new generations who think they are too old for something, even though they are still in their 20's or 30's? One day I'm going to look at an "Am I too old...? post and the person is going to actually be old.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a student who used to bring her grandson to class. When he lost interest (at 3rd geup) she started training. She's currently 1st geup. And 72.
We have a new student who is returning to his training after about a 20 year layoff. He's 83.

So no, I don't think you're too old.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I will look for a good kenpo dojo and continue my training. I was just concerned because I always hear stories about how people began training from the age of 6 or younger, so if I ever get put against someone with that much more experience than I have, I wonder how well I would do or even stand a chance. I guess the only thing to do is do my best though.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you too old; LOL. At 26 no but be careful at 27. Yea, 27 is old so watch yourself.
I'm in my 60s and though I have a lot of experience in several arts among them, wrestling & combat submission wrestling and bit of playing with BJJ guys, I formally started training BJJ this year.
That is me; you... at 27 be careful cause you are too old.

Get in the gym, have fun and train!

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In mma randy couture started competing when he was 34. Yes he'd wrestled all his life but he'd done no stand up training so that all started then. He then won the ufc heavyweight championship in the same year and went on to to win the title 5 times and competed until he was 48 and still trains to this day so no way not at all

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started training under a new system at 65 so I would say no you not to old. It has been my experience through the years that training depends on if you wish to train or not and has nothing to do with age. How you practice will change with age but if you have the desire to learn find a school and start learning.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I began practicing kenpo and learning various other martial arts from uncle when I was 14. The only dojo I have ever been a part of was a Kenpo dojo. I love the style and got only to yellow belt, I could no longer afford the lessons and then my family moved.

I am now 26 going on 27 and many people along with other martial artists have said I am very talented and I continue to practice and develop my skills wherever and whenever possible. I have sparred with purple belts and other people of various figting styles and have been able to not only keep up with them but win as well.

It is my desire to get back into a dojo and compete, I want to earn a black belt from a great dojo so I can then teach martial arts. My question is is it too late for me to gain the experiences such as fighting in competitions and mastering a martial art so I can then teach it before I am as old as dirt?
27? Yeah, it might be time to just lay down and die, after a nap, of course. :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
x9IkCWC.jpg

5 more minutes the force needs

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

My path was very similar to yours, I did martial arts as a kid then dropped out because of school and girls and life and then got back into it after college. I think I was 25. Since then I have been instructor ranked in two martial arts and am still participating in some fairly tough competitions. You aren't quite over the hill yet.

Clyde

White Belt
Reaction score

I don't think it is ever too late to start training, be it when getting back in to it, or entering a dojo for the first time. I received my BB when I was 48.

Clyde

White Belt
Reaction score
Another young starter in Martial Arts. :D
LOL.... The sad part is there are many i have seen who are half my age that look really sad.... Those are the ones that give any dojo/style a bad name.

Have a good one, Shine On You....

Latest Discussions