Am I too old to continue my training?

Skullpunch

Green Belt
Reaction score
I always hear stories about how people began training from the age of 6 or younger, so if I ever get put against someone with that much more experience than I have, I wonder how well I would do or even stand a chance.

Well if you're that guy who thinks he has to be able to kick everyone and his mom's *** or else it's pointless to train then yeah, I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that you are too old.

Otherwise, nah. Knock yourself out and have fun.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is my desire to get back into a dojo and compete, I want to earn a black belt from a great dojo so I can then teach martial arts. My question is is it too late for me to gain the experiences such as fighting in competitions and mastering a martial art so I can then teach it before I am as old as dirt?
It is never too late. I started when I was 16, stopped when I was 19, started back again when I was 39 and I'm still at it at age 67. But I know a lady who *started* when she was 61. She was inducted last July as a 7th Degree Senior Master and two days later, we celebrated her 90th birthday. She'll run your wheels off.

Martial arts is what keeps me alive. When I can't do Taekwondo any more, I'll switch to Tai Chi. The day I can't do that any more is the day I will start to die.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But I know a lady who *started* when she was 61. She was inducted last July as a 7th Degree Senior Master and two days later, we celebrated her 90th birthday. She'll run your wheels off.
Now that's inspirational!

Clyde

White Belt
Reaction score
We have a 70 year old lady at our dojo who just earned her blue belt (half way to BB)!
If you are willing to put forth the effort then age isn't all that much of a factor.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I began practicing kenpo and learning various other martial arts from uncle when I was 14. The only dojo I have ever been a part of was a Kenpo dojo. I love the style and got only to yellow belt, I could no longer afford the lessons and then my family moved.

I am now 26 going on 27 and many people along with other martial artists have said I am very talented and I continue to practice and develop my skills wherever and whenever possible. I have sparred with purple belts and other people of various figting styles and have been able to not only keep up with them but win as well.

It is my desire to get back into a dojo and compete, I want to earn a black belt from a great dojo so I can then teach martial arts. My question is is it too late for me to gain the experiences such as fighting in competitions and mastering a martial art so I can then teach it before I am as old as dirt?

No way are you too old. There are people who first start martial arts at a much older age than you.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
LoL! We just had a guy in his 60s start training a few weeks ago. Most people WISH they started training at 26 years old.

SAConner

White Belt
Reaction score
I began practicing kenpo and learning various other martial arts from uncle when I was 14. The only dojo I have ever been a part of was a Kenpo dojo. I love the style and got only to yellow belt, I could no longer afford the lessons and then my family moved.

I am now 26 going on 27 and many people along with other martial artists have said I am very talented and I continue to practice and develop my skills wherever and whenever possible. I have sparred with purple belts and other people of various figting styles and have been able to not only keep up with them but win as well.

It is never too late, I have seen many people start training in their in their middle ages and I even knew a man you started in his 80s.