Can we train EVERY defensive scenario?

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
The focus should be to employ the principles that make things happen... so if one finds themselves in a precarious situation or something alien in nature then its not a complete shock or "oh shoot I didnt train for an attack in a car underwater"... Thats why its important to understand what your threat is and know what will make it not work anymore so irregardless of the situation or scenario the action rmains the same...get there first and put them down or get out , it doesnt matter if they are donned in full armor with nods and smgs or riding a tyrannasaurus rex with a javelin... the focus remains the same.

not to discredit fof or scenario training becuase they have thier merits and purpose but to attmept to ingrain a myriad of scenarios is a recipe for disaster... there is more practicality in focusing on various body positions and how to get to or from the focal point or the threat. No need to have 100 different scenarios from a prone position and 100 from sitting and so forth... the principles for agression or egression from the various positions one will find themselves in are the same wether its 1 scenario or 4000....

I will mention the scenario GB brought up becuase it made me laugh pretty hard... It wont matter if you are laying in bed or laying in a park or laying on the bank of america floor as a hostage the principles for agression and egression remain the same....

make sense?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The focus should be to employ the principles that make things happen... so if one finds themselves in a precarious situation or something alien in nature then its not a complete shock or "oh shoot I didnt train for an attack in a car underwater"... Thats why its important to understand what your threat is and know what will make it not work anymore so irregardless of the situation or scenario the action rmains the same...get there first and put them down or get out , it doesnt matter if they are donned in full armor with nods and smgs or riding a tyrannasaurus rex with a javelin... the focus remains the same.

not to discredit fof or scenario training becuase they have thier merits and purpose but to attmept to ingrain a myriad of scenarios is a recipe for disaster... there is more practicality in focusing on various body positions and how to get to or from the focal point or the threat. No need to have 100 different scenarios from a prone position and 100 from sitting and so forth... the principles for agression or egression from the various positions one will find themselves in are the same wether its 1 scenario or 4000....

I will mention the scenario GB brought up becuase it made me laugh pretty hard... It wont matter if you are laying in bed or laying in a park or laying on the bank of america floor as a hostage the principles for agression and egression remain the same....

make sense?

I was one that mentioned scenario drilling. Just to expand on my thoughts on that. IMO, we should be looking at all of that stuff as a drill, nothing more. Its really no different than practicing a lock flow series. We're never going to do every lock on someone, and personally, I don't go looking for locks, but wait until they present themselves to me. However, by having those drills, it gives you, as we both said, in our own ways, another principle to use.

The Military uses scenario drills, the Fire Dept. uses them, the PD uses them. A city/town may hold a major disaster drill. Its simply practice. When I drill, I pick something and work it. But no, I don't sit at home and try to come up with 100 different ways to defend against 2 people.

Its simply something to make you think, to put yourself under stress and pressure, in a controlled setting, to see how one performs.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats exactly the conclusion I come to.... drills , drills, drills...

worked for me in my military training and accomplished a great deal in a shhort time span....

good one MJS

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thats exactly the conclusion I come to.... drills , drills, drills...

worked for me in my military training and accomplished a great deal in a shhort time span....

good one MJS
A bit off topic, but you mention military training. My thanks to you for your service, sir!

Daniel

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some very enlightened views throughout and I just wanted to thank you all for your contributions. I am glad most of you considered the idea I was trying to outline in the OP and did not dismiss it without reading :) I enjoy these conversations a lot. I find them useful to me on a personal level. I will go and digest :) Thank you.
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The difference bewteen 'technique' and 'scenario' is an important one to distinguish and understand, GB :tup:.

What I have been taught (and what I think everyone is trying to say in various ways) is that you do not learn to respond to a myriad different scenarios. As I said a while ago now, you train your mind to 'read' the scenario and find the windows of opportunity where the techniques you have can work to resolve the situation.

That is one of the important reasons for 'grinding' your techniques into muscle memory - when the moment comes to use the one you want, it is there, ready and waiting, just for that 'window' where it can be effective.
Without any thought on our part. This is the essence of this whole thread. As you have amply pointed out.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Allot of good responses and each and everyone of them is correct in their own way.

No, you can't. You won't live that long, plus you can't realistically do a scenario with someone throwing a frag grenade at you, so therefore, no is the answer.

You can however as pointed out by several folks here use several the basic scenarios, club, knife, gun, hands, grabs and etc..etc... and do the basic defenses against them and that pretty much covers a wide variety of attacks. A club, does it matter if it's a bat, pipe, piece of wood, broom handle or baton, it's a club, defense will basically be the same, no sense making it harder then necessary.

Latest Discussions