Back fist strike.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So if we are moving into the street rather than sport. Your first punch in tight should be round,,a hook or uppercut as a sucker. Your next strikes should be straight.

This gives you the highest percentage strikes in the shortest possible time. Against a guy you don't know in a situation that can change. And where you could be fighting from the pocket.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So if we are moving into the street rather than sport. Your first punch in tight should be round,,a hook or uppercut as a sucker. Your next strikes should be straight.

This gives you the highest percentage strikes in the shortest possible time. Against a guy you don't know in a situation that can change. And where you could be fighting from the pocket.
Round house stuff is for when you want to go around something. Straight shots are always faster; so hooking just because that is the way you do it, means you aren't the speed demon you could be. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Round house stuff is for when you want to go around something. Straight shots are always faster; so hooking just because that is the way you do it, means you aren't the speed demon you could be. :)

Sort of. In close and coming low is quite hard to see. So as a first punch where you might not be in a position to throw straights it works quite well.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a difficulty understanding you.
\
Yes, as I pointed out, you have difficulties.... starting with problem definition....:muted: Your board breaking is ok though.:nailbiting:
\
edit: Where's that Rafa Chan karate guy when I need him:watching:???

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am sure there is not much you can point out that is wrong with each of those breaks that I have not already thought of.myself but hey, I always welcome feedback. Also feel free to post your own videos to show me how it should be done.
\
Improper cross examination.... on the quotes I skipped...
\
On the last above +1 / props to you for posting the personal videos of actual board breaking.

Sapphire

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sort of. In close and coming low is quite hard to see. So as a first punch where you might not be in a position to throw straights it works quite well.

My favorites are the ones where the person getting punched has an iron jaw and the puncher is like "oh, I guess I have to punch him again."

Concerning back fist -- I believe that regardless of style or discipline, a technique is only as useful as you make it. That's why boxing is good, but so is ground game. A boxer vs. a wrestler is a cool match up because either the boxer will get tied up like a pretzel, or the wrestler might get his lights knocked out. But if a wrestler is told he has to box and he can't wrestle, then he's stuck. Techniques are what you make of them.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My favorites are the ones where the person getting punched has an iron jaw and the puncher is like "oh, I guess I have to punch him again."

Concerning back fist -- I believe that regardless of style or discipline, a technique is only as useful as you make it. That's why boxing is good, but so is ground game. A boxer vs. a wrestler is a cool match up because either the boxer will get tied up like a pretzel, or the wrestler might get his lights knocked out. But if a wrestler is told he has to box and he can't wrestle, then he's stuck. Techniques are what you make of them.

It depends. There is an idea that some techniques are more likely to work for your garden variety martial artist than others. I use the term high/low percentage.

This means that for something like self defence you don't have to expend undue effort to make something work.

So you really should box and wrestle and when you do you should throw more basic straight punches than clever back fists.

Wrestling is the same.yes pulling this off is awesome

But you should be training double leg takedowns.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Normally this is probably true, but certain fighting systems utilize the backfist better than others. Here's an example: Not sure why this guy is always doing kung fu in a suit, but anyway all of his lead hand attacks are backfists. Sorry about the quality but no one else was doing this technique this slowly.

Sapphire

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It depends. There is an idea that some techniques are more likely to work for your garden variety martial artist than others. I use the term high/low percentage.

This means that for something like self defence you don't have to expend undue effort to make something work.

So you really should box and wrestle and when you do you should throw more basic straight punches than clever back fists.

Wrestling is the same.yes pulling this off is awesome

But you should be training double leg takedowns.

But is the backfist so much more "clever" than the jab? I've been doing CMA exclusively for almost a decade, and I've taken a few boxing classes, and the backfist is much more natural to me. Probably because I've been using one more often than the other. High jump kicks and tiger claw are another story though. That wrestling move looks like something I'd do as a joke.

Normally this is probably true, but certain fighting systems utilize the backfist better than others. Here's an example: Not sure why this guy is always doing kung fu in a suit, but anyway all of his lead hand attacks are backfists. Sorry about the quality but no one else was doing this technique this slowly.

Not sure why he's in a suit either, but he looks rather dapper. And he has good form, too!

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Ok bit sick but kinda funny at 1:58, maybe the guy just got the shock of his life when he suckered that snowman. Crazy.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But is the backfist so much more "clever" than the jab? I've been doing CMA exclusively for almost a decade, and I've taken a few boxing classes, and the backfist is much more natural to me. Probably because I've been using one more often than the other. High jump kicks and tiger claw are another story though. That wrestling move looks like something I'd do as a joke.

It leaves you more open to a counter. You effectively give him your blind side for a second.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Alas...yet another thread deserving of the

b7d.jpg