Back fist strike.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In truth, every time our natural weapons yang out, we lose their protection. We become yinnies. :)

Yeah but there is a whole bunch of positions that make it a bit easier for the other guy to pop you even though you may escape the immediate threat.

This is why we generally only block/parry in one direction.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which is one reason why after the back fist you return your hand to the guarding position, you don't just stand in one spot afterwards and you develop blocking skills.

So the reason you give up your blind side is because you can hopefully retrieve it afterwards. Why give it up in the first place? What does that strike do that you can't do with another strike with less risk?

I mean it dosent even come off at a weird angle. It hits pretty much like a hook but is easier to block. At least with a hook the fist is in front of the arm. With a backfist the arm is in front of the fist.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am sure the parents of the child he knocked over didn't see the funny side of it.
Yeah, I saw that little girl go flying on the re-run but I had already laughed on the first view. Perhaps a bit over-kill.

OP
R

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
So the reason you give up your blind side is because you can hopefully retrieve it afterwards. Why give it up in the first place?

And who says I have to give up my blind side to do a back fist? You can do a back fist to the side of someone's face when you are standing right in front of them., you can do a back fist when you are in their blind side

What does that strike do that you can't do with another strike with less risk?

Risk is relative.

I mean it dosent even come off at a weird angle.

There are back fists that can come from weird angles.

It hits pretty much like a hook but is easier to block. At least with a hook the fist is in front of the arm. With a backfist the arm is in front of the fist.

It's pretty much like a hook except;

• It comes from the opposite angle.
  • Hits with a different part of the fist
  • The elbow bends to face at a different angle.
A hook is slower and easier to see coming.You are also far less likely to injure your fingers, thumb or wrist with a back fist than you are with a punch The back fist is more appropriate for some situations. For example if someone is coming up behind you when you do a back fist you don't have to to turn around as much as you would if to do a hook.

Last edited:

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
They don't feel pain, fear, get injured or die either.

No but they hurt when they dont break.

I remember my first board break... everyone was making jokes saying there would need to call the ambulance :oops: but I broke it (first try too)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So the reason you give up your blind side is because you can hopefully retrieve it afterwards. Why give it up in the first place? What does that strike do that you can't do with another strike with less risk?

I mean it dosent even come off at a weird angle. It hits pretty much like a hook but is easier to block. At least with a hook the fist is in front of the arm. With a backfist the arm is in front of the fist.
Since when?

Star Dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post. :)

I used to do Shotokan Karate for a number of years, where I learned to do the backfist with a big wind up (that is, in the basics training), but using mostly just the power of my arm. I never felt it to be a very powerful technique.

However, in more recent years, I took up the Old Yang style of Taiji as taught by Erle and Eli Montaigue. Like basically all techniques, the backfist is done without wind up, but with full body commitment/fa-jing there. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's raking through the target, but even the snapping type feels like you are using the whole body to strike. I modified it a little to make it fit into my personal style better. It no longer feels feeble.

A little story to illustrate: I was once working out with a partner holding the focus mitts for me. I am really no heavy weight, but when I mentally focussed for a split second, then hit the mitt with a snapping vertical back fist, the strike went right through and numbed my partner's arm all the way up to the shoulder. The comment was: "If that would have hit my head, I'd be dead now!"

By the way, I don't see the backfist as a substitute for the jab or hook. I need them all. What technique I choose depends on the position my hand happens to be in relative to the opponent. I like to move in a flowing manner due to my Taiji and Kenpo training, so my arms are often changing their position from one moment to the next. If you fight that way, the backfist becomes a very versatile weapon that can be employed on many trajectories and to a number of different targets.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Your a security guard or something correct? I use the back fist often in crowds like a bars or less then police friendly neighborhoods. If I'm dealing with a person in front of me usually trying to arrest them and his friend approaches from the side to interfere I can't turn my body to ignore the 1st guy so I can deal with his buddy by throwing a traditional punch , so I throw a back fist off to the side. Its very effective to get you some time and distance. The 2nd person doesn't expect it because your not facing him so they are not expecting to get hit.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your a security guard or something correct? I use the back fist often in crowds like a bars or less then police friendly neighborhoods. If I'm dealing with a person in front of me usually trying to arrest them and his friend approaches from the side to interfere I can't turn my body to ignore the 1st guy so I can deal with his buddy by throwing a traditional punch , so I throw a back fist off to the side. Its very effective to get you some time and distance. The 2nd person doesn't expect it because your not facing him so they are not expecting to get hit.

There are going to be some unique positions and circumstances that suit the backfist. I don't have an issue with that.

Latest Discussions