Back fist strike.

OP
R

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
btw. better lift some weights.... You'll never be able to break those boards without weightlifting program.... Your vid demo is just a 'fluke.' Bulk up bro'....
I guess these are all flukes too:

Reverse Knife hand, two boards;

Reverse punch, three boards;

Spinning heel kick, two boards;

Downward punch, three boards;

Downward Knife hand strike; Eight tiles;

And all without without a weightlifting program. There goes your hypothesis.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't break boards but have a few friends who do and everything I've seen and been told about doing this, is that it's nothing to do with strength nor weightlifting. It's all about technique. Brute force and ignorance have no place in martial arts.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't break boards but have a few friends who do and everything I've seen and been told about doing this, is that it's nothing to do with strength nor weightlifting. It's all about technique. Brute force and ignorance have no place in martial arts.

This. I am a worn out tired old fat man. The last break I did was two 16x4x2' concrete pavers. As a speed break. The same day, I did five 16x8x2" pavers. For eight different groups of students.
If I relied on strength, I'd be in some serious pain.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wouldn't count out brute force. It can put you over the edge sometimes. :)

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Or you could just say yes or no.
\
Or, you could give credit where credit is due.... A lot of talk of how best to approach martial arts, with you TKD (it appears). A lot of presentations on how to give instruction. Then you ask a yes or no question in an isolated context? Wow!
\
BTW: Wait til I tell you everything wrong with your demonstration....

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess these are all flukes too:

Reverse Knife hand, two boards;

Reverse punch, three boards;

Downward punch, three boards;

Downward Knife hand strike; Eight tiles;

\
No, my hypothesis was not that you (RTKDCMB) were lazy in your TMA training, or in breaking boards. My hypothesis might be that you are lazy in going beyond yourself to review & recognize the efforts of another.... so far you're proving that hypothesis out....
\
Nice vids on the board breaking. Am watching them now.... tnx for putting up some more demos.... Valuable lesson for TMA critics....
\
EDIT: First Blush response. Yeah, all the karate schools are around me have some Masters / Grand Masters doing this stuff. Student demos as well. REally good material for marketing brochure's / videos & such. I would think this would be fine evidence that TKD practitioners can use their hands. We have tons of MMA & sport fighters who say TKD is weak & only use their feet....
\
Why don't you run over to that audience? They need your board breaking lessons....

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
\
Try reading some of my other posts.... you'll find the answer there....
\
EDIT: re weightlifting... or even on this T. lazy.
When someone wants to give guidance to someone else on how to improve their power (I don't even know if it was warranted in this case; I did not view the video) and their suggestion is to lift weights and bulk up, that tells me a whole lot about how superficial their understanding is and that they have little or no business giving instruction to anybody.

Physical strength is useful, I do not dispute that. But an understanding of good technique is more important than bulking up, bro.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When someone wants to give guidance to someone else on how to improve their power (I don't even know if it was warranted in this case; I did not view the video) and their suggestion is to lift weights and bulk up, that tells me a whole lot about how superficial their understanding is and that they have little or no business giving instruction to anybody.

Physical strength is useful, I do not dispute that. But an understanding of good technique is more important than bulking up, bro.
\
BRO: Again, the wrong context.... again, isolating a statement, a sentence from a paragraph, the paragraph from the chapter, the chapter from the book, the book from the set of volumes, the volumes from the discipline to which the set of volumes speak.
\
I'm working with Master in my style who is experiencing the same response I just received here from ADOLESCENTS. They take a statement & expand that to the sum of his teaching. By their EGO's.
\
I requested - simply - that the statement I made be put in context and suggested two avenues to look at. AND?
\
edit: Good luck with that....

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
RTKDCMB: WHILE i'm waiting......................................................................
\
^^^ This one is my favorite.
\
\
First criticism (not directly related to board breaking). You have a difficulty with problem definition....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why don't you run over to that audience? They need your board breaking lessons....

and you quite frankly need lessons in English, politeness, respect, humbleness and how to communicate coherently.
There is no need ( and it's against the rules here) to attack a poster personally just because they don't agree with you. It makes unpleasant reading, tuck your ego away and reply without attacking him or others here because for sure there's only one person acting like an adolescent and it's not us.

teetsao

White Belt
Reaction score
In the thread "Joe Rogan smack talking TMA's like kung fu" There was a question as to if the back fist strike had any power in it, so I made this video two hours before posting this thread:.

I hope this answers that question.

Nice video thanks. Back fists are illegal in boxing WHY ? Everyone thinks of those lead snap backfists. They aren't. Guys jab like that all the time .They just may not score a point if it is clearly that motion. Ali was a huge user of them,

The back fist that is illegal is the one in the video. Because they were once called pivot blows. And they had the potential to kill. In your video you are essentially doing a half pivot. A full pivot would be like a spinning back fist. Pivots were also done with elbows and forearms.

Another poster talk of wind up and all that. Really what is happening is centrifugal force. Your body weight has little to do with this blow. It is the SPEED that it can move. Because it is on a circular path speed squares. Hence the massive power potential. Because it is circular theoretically the power potential is infinite. But we are human so....

Mainly you are moving the weight of your hand on a long lever( arm) on a curve and when it hits it hits hard. You can potentially exceed your weapons ( hand) integrity. You break and possibly shatter bones if you impact something like the skull. Be accurate.

So there you go. The Back fist that was banned was called a pivot blow and hopefully I educated you on why. The back fist jab will not get you called as long as you are landing with the front of the glove more than not. It is not to fast or to hard to block, a good jabber is hard to block period. I normally used my face and was very successful with that method but I don't recommend it.

Thanks again for the video. Nice job.

Last note, it would be very risky to use spinning backfist ( full pivot ) in MMA unless you are great at timing. You may just have a guy push kick your *** or worse, he jumps on your back and locks in a choke. To risky but I do see the potential for half pivots being used successfully hook and half pivot back. Possibly use the hook as a fake/set up but MMA sort of changes the tactics and game plan and I do not know enough about it to provide more than I have.

Good luck.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
\
BRO: Again, the wrong context.... again, isolating a statement, a sentence from a paragraph, the paragraph from the chapter, the chapter from the book, the book from the set of volumes, the volumes from the discipline to which the set of volumes speak.
\
I'm working with Master in my style who is experiencing the same response I just received here from ADOLESCENTS. They take a statement & expand that to the sum of his teaching. By their EGO's.
\
I requested - simply - that the statement I made be put in context and suggested two avenues to look at. AND?
\
edit: Good luck with that....
Then here is your chance to explain to me the full context that justifies a comment like that. Let's hear it. Educate me...

OP
R

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or, you could give credit where credit is due.... A lot of talk of how best to approach martial arts, with you TKD (it appears). A lot of presentations on how to give instruction. Then you ask a yes or no question in an isolated context? Wow!

Context: You asked This;

EDIT: btw. better lift some weights.... You'll never be able to break those boards without weightlifting program.... Your vid demo is just a 'fluke.' Bulk up bro'....

Then Flying Crane asked this;

I hope his comment was meant as a joke?

So instead of replying with a yes or no answer to this simple question your reply was this;

Try reading some of my other posts.... you'll find the answer there....

BTW: Wait til I tell you everything wrong with your demonstration....

I am sure there is not much you can point out that is wrong with each of those breaks that I have not already thought of.myself but hey, I always welcome feedback. Also feel free to post your own videos to show me how it should be done.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last note, it would be very risky to use spinning backfist ( full pivot ) in MMA unless you are great at timing. You may just have a guy push kick your *** or worse, he jumps on your back and locks in a choke. To risky but I do see the potential for half pivots being used successfully hook and half pivot back. Possibly use the hook as a fake/set up but MMA sort of changes the tactics and game plan and I do not know enough about it to provide more than I have.

You technically shouldn't you expose your back and side chambering the pivot punch.

You are better after throwing an overcommitted right cross to pivot which will switch your stance and return with a left cross.

They will almost always throw a left hook to an overcommitted right cross. Which means you could be steaming into a counter punch.

step1.jpg

This is kung fu shooting in for the blind side. Which is where you and up if your backfist dosent work.

Latest Discussions