Back fist strike.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the thread "Joe Rogan smack talking TMA's like kung fu" There was a question as to if the back fist strike had any power in it, so I made this video two hours before posting this thread:.

I hope this answers that question.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't use the backfist much myself, but that's just my personal preference.

The power backfist from a big windup such as you demonstrated seems like it would primarily be useful as a follow-up to a missed hook or overhand right. (The missed punch provides the windup.) Do you have any other setups that you find effective for landing that big power shot?

I was just talking to my boxing coach earlier this week and he's a big fan of the backfist, although it's illegal in boxing. He doesn't use the big power backfist though. He likes it as a deceptive jab variation that can come in from different angles.

The Great Gigsy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
One of my favorite strikes. Never really thought about it generating that much power.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't use the backfist much myself, but that's just my personal preference.

The power backfist from a big windup such as you demonstrated seems like it would primarily be useful as a follow-up to a missed hook or overhand right. (The missed punch provides the windup.) Do you have any other setups that you find effective for landing that big power shot?

I was just talking to my boxing coach earlier this week and he's a big fan of the backfist, although it's illegal in boxing. He doesn't use the big power backfist though. He likes it as a deceptive jab variation that can come in from different angles.
I like the back fist as:
A power follow up or finish:
A angled jab;
A same hand double strike ie. Jab/backfist or straight rt/backfist
A diagonal down elbow rolling into a backfist follow up. (wing chun would be a bong sao/sot sao motion)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, what you showed is far from being the most common backfist technique. You essentially did a spinning backfist without the footwork.

In it's most common application, the backfist is akin to a jab, just from a different direction and with a different contact point on the hand.
Is it effective? Of course it is. The jab is a mainstay in any punchers arsenal. A number of professional boxers have made excellent use of the backfist. Is it the most powerful strike? Of course not. But neither can it be ignored.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A number of professional boxers have made excellent use of the backfist.
Technically, the backfist is illegal in boxing, although some boxers have a jab which pushes as close to a backfist as they can get away with without getting called out by the ref.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Technically, the backfist is illegal in boxing, although some boxers have a jab which pushes as close to a backfist as they can get away with without getting called out by the ref.

A rose by any other name...

Why is it illegal?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A rose by any other name...

Why is it illegal?
You have to hit with the front of the glove, where most of the padding is.

Backfists were a part of old-time bareknuckle boxing. I'm not sure if the rule against backfists came with the Marquis of Queensbury or if it was added later.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the thread "Joe Rogan smack talking TMA's like kung fu" There was a question as to if the back fist strike had any power in it, so I made this video two hours before posting this thread:.

I hope this answers that question.
Is that you breaking the boards?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Why is it everyone seems to think a back fist strike only goes horizontally?

Should probably post this here too

Xingyiquan; vertical fist up, rather powerful strike/block
Chen Taijiquan: vertical fist down, rather powerful strike

And add since this is the back fist thread, I will add this

Yang Taijiquan; vertical fist up, rather powerful strike/block. But this one can come out of a missed elbow strike or block or show up all by itself. It can also come at you at about 45 degree angle too

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You have to hit with the front of the glove, where most of the padding is.

Backfists were a part of old-time bareknuckle boxing. I'm not sure if the rule against backfists came with the Marquis of Queensbury or if it was added later.

But... But... We've been told by someone who doesn't train striking, that there's no power in a backfist, so why would it matter?????

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
But... But... We've been told by someone who doesn't train striking, that there's no power in a backfist, so why would it matter?????

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

DANG!!! Hadn't thought of that..... well shut off the lights....we can all go home now

The Great Gigsy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Until today I was unaware that the backfist was a technique in other arts. It wasn'tuntil I start training jkd that I even heard of it.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Actually, I think it was drop bear making that argument. He does train striking.

I suspect he's primarily been exposed to the crappy point-sparring backfist "tag" that some people do. If so, that could explain his opinion.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Because you could smash people with your forearm. Cutting them. Or score dodgy points.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What do "points" have to do with it?

I can sneak around your guard throw this half crap backfist thing and win a fight. And nobody wants to see that type of fighting.

People want to see heads knocked off.

Latest Discussions