Back fist strike.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you know how to jab, but you can't throw a backfist without involving the elbow?

The only thing I can think of is the back fist would be thrown like an abiniko almost. Which might sting a bit but otherwise I could not see the point.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
An old training buddy of mine used to say, "Backfists are like jelly doughnuts. As enjoyable as they can sometimes be, you wouldn't make a diet of them."

I think he's right. I really like backfists. I also like jelly doughnuts. But I can't remember the last time I used either.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
An old training buddy of mine used to say, "Backfists are like jelly doughnuts. As enjoyable as they can sometimes be, you wouldn't make a diet of them."

I think he's right. I really like backfists. I also like jelly doughnuts. But I can't remember the last time I used either.
\
And are you the guys who pound the physical crap out of each other by Shotokan karate form? I'm forced to put up my own backfist video now....o_O

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
\
And are you the guys who pound the physical crap out of each other by Shotokan karate form? I'm forced to put up my own backfist video now....o_O

I have no idea what you just said. (Hey, I'm old, forgive me)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Blaspheme!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
2i1l53d.jpg

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In the thread "Joe Rogan smack talking TMA's like kung fu" There was a question as to if the back fist strike had any power in it, so I made this video two hours before posting this thread:.

I hope this answers that question.
Personally I like the back fist. It's not a knockout strike but it's almost the equivalent of a jab something that's used to set up another move

Star Dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Personally I like the back fist. It's not a knockout strike but it's almost the equivalent of a jab something that's used to set up another move

It can be a knockout strike. I recently did some impact measurements, and the backfist turned out to be among my strongest hand techniques. Then again, I don't deliver them with a mere snapping movement of the arm but rather with full body power as taught in Taiji. Hitting particular kyusho will enhance the effect.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I do like "backfists" I suppose, but I pretty much only ever do them with a forearm, and a good grip or wrap on the other guy's arm...

Montana

White Belt
Reaction score
Pardon if this drags up a dead thread, but I just joined a few days ago and was cruising thru looking for discussions I could participate in.

I've used the backfist a lot during my years in the arts, both while sparring and in a self-defense situation. Sure, it's not nearly as powerful as most other punches, but it can be used with pinpoint accuracy and blinding speed.

Personally, in a real fight, I have used the backfist to break a nose and to knock out an opponent (side of the head). It's fast, it's accurate, and if you hit the right spots, quite effective.

In a fight where you are wearing gloves and helmets, no, the backfist isn't going to do that well.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pardon if this drags up a dead thread, but I just joined a few days ago and was cruising thru looking for discussions I could participate in.

I've used the backfist a lot during my years in the arts, both while sparring and in a self-defense situation. Sure, it's not nearly as powerful as most other punches, but it can be used with pinpoint accuracy and blinding speed.

Personally, in a real fight, I have used the backfist to break a nose and to knock out an opponent (side of the head). It's fast, it's accurate, and if you hit the right spots, quite effective.

In a fight where you are wearing gloves and helmets, no, the backfist isn't going to do that well.

Welcome to MT. I did not see this thread, as I have been gone for awhile and just recently came back.

The backfist is a great tool. It can be delivered in a variety of ways, including as a powerful strike. It is perhaps more commonly used to distract or misdirect, or to cause an opponent to do something you want them to do, setting them up for the technique you wish to use that is more powerful.

As a 'whipping motion' strike, it can also be compared to the hammer fist in some styles of martial arts. Not the MMA 'hammer fist' which is simply a clubbing motion (as I recently saw it used on a televised fight) but with the true 'wrist snap' movement of a carpenter with his hammer. This type of hammer fist (tetsui) is very similar to the backfist, generates power in the same way, and can be quite effective when applied correctly.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was just talking to my boxing coach earlier this week and he's a big fan of the backfist, although it's illegal in boxing. He doesn't use the big power backfist though. He likes it as a deceptive jab variation that can come in from different angles.
Agreed. To me, the backfist should be a fast setup move. If I can pop the bad guy in the nose or on the temple with a backfist, it will distract him. He is now no longer thinking about attacking me, he's processing the fact that he just got hit, and that gives me a major advantage and an opening to exploit.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agreed. To me, the backfist should be a fast setup move. If I can pop the bad guy in the nose or on the temple with a backfist, it will distract him. He is now no longer thinking about attacking me, he's processing the fact that he just got hit, and that gives me a major advantage and an opening to exploit.

It is a distraction, yes. But it can be much more than that. Delivered as a very fast 1-2 backfist/strike combination, it can blind the opponent to the incoming 'real' strike, they are not just distracted, they literally can't see it coming around your backfist in their face. It also allows one to position the opponent as one wishes them to be for a followup technique, not just creating an opening, but a specific opening. And it can, if done properly, take away the opponent's balance, which makes an effective counter-attack all the more powerful.

In any case, yes, it is a major advantage in most cases. Very few people can ignore the fact that they just got popped sharply on the snot-locker and their eyes are watering and their nose hurts really bad.

I believe the key to using it effectively is speed; one cannot delay before delivering the followup technique. It's a committed technique; you can't wait to see if it worked, it's not one-and-two, it's one-two, bam-bam. Whether it works or not, the second technique is going to be delivered, so it better work.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is a distraction, yes. But it can be much more than that. Delivered as a very fast 1-2 backfist/strike combination, it can blind the opponent to the incoming 'real' strike, they are not just distracted, they literally can't see it coming around your backfist in their face. It also allows one to position the opponent as one wishes them to be for a followup technique, not just creating an opening, but a specific opening. And it can, if done properly, take away the opponent's balance, which makes an effective counter-attack all the more powerful.

In any case, yes, it is a major advantage in most cases. Very few people can ignore the fact that they just got popped sharply on the snot-locker and their eyes are watering and their nose hurts really bad.

I believe the key to using it effectively is speed; one cannot delay before delivering the followup technique. It's a committed technique; you can't wait to see if it worked, it's not one-and-two, it's one-two, bam-bam. Whether it works or not, the second technique is going to be delivered, so it better work.
Follow up? My backfists are clean, and my backfists are final. ;)

Latest Discussions