Back fist strike.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I can sneak around your guard throw this half crap backfist thing and win a fight. And nobody wants to see that type of fighting.

People want to see heads knocked off.

It sounds like you are talking sports though, is that your POV here?.... and if you want to throw a crap back fist that's your problem......

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In the thread "Joe Rogan smack talking TMA's like kung fu" There was a question as to if the back fist strike had any power in it, so I made this video two hours before posting this thread:.

I hope this answers that question.
\
Excellent vid. Point proven. Looks like a TKD guy so fits in with Rogan as a question for him.
\
BTW: The demonstrator maintains a good stance, unlike the striking foils in the Gracie's TD Vids....

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not talking sport and don't much care why a back fist is frowned upon in sport so.....

The question was asked why it is frowned upon in sport. I gave the answer.

So what are you doing?

Are you asking why it is frowned upon on the street?

OP
R

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
The power backfist from a big windup such as you demonstrated seems like it would primarily be useful as a follow-up to a missed hook or overhand right. (The missed punch provides the windup.) Do you have any other setups that you find effective for landing that big power shot?
There are so many setups for it but some examples include; after a back elbow, after a side kick or turning kick or after an outer forearm block or after a release from a wrist grab. I also like to use it as a jab and a quick strike after knocking someone's guard down. I used the big windup in the video because I was breaking two boards with it, (which I have never done before) and I didn't want to have to do it twice.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's a simple way around that. Do it properly.

No. You are intentionally smashing people with your forearm because it doesn't have a glove. And then you go "woopsie I missed"

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why is that a bad thing?

Because boxing has a bad enough reputation without people finishing fights like they have been though a mincer.

A lot of styles that don't allow elbows quite often don't allow back fists.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Until today I was unaware that the backfist was a technique in other arts. It wasn'tuntil I start training jkd that I even heard of it.

I think a lot of moves have been incorporated in the last 20 to 30 years, at least at the lower belts. The only back fist I remember seeing/being taught when I studied TKD on the mid-60s, was a backwards strike to the face/nose after a back elbow strike to the solar plexus. But I remember Mr. Rhee using a heel hook kick while sparring, and none of us had ever seen such a thing before that. Including our senior brown, almost black belt. It happened so fast we weren't even sure what we had seen.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The question was asked why it is frowned upon in sport. I gave the answer.

So what are you doing?

Are you asking why it is frowned upon on the street?

The question was asked "The question was asked why it is frowned upon in sport.".... it was, in this thread...by the OP?? By Dirty Dog who you quoted in your "points" post??? where?

I'm answering the question of the OP of this thread, which was, and I quote;
"There was a question as to if the back fist strike had any power in it"

Didn't see any reference to sports in the OP's question in this thread... so.... what are you doing?

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The question was asked "The question was asked why it is frowned upon in sport.".... it was, in this thread...by the OP?? By Dirty Dog who you quoted in your "points" post??? where?

I'm answering the question of the OP of this thread, which was, and I quote;
"There was a question as to if the back fist strike had any power in it"

Didn't see any reference to sports in the OP's question in this thread... so.... what are you doing?

I am replying to dirty dogs question regarding boxing. If I was replying to the OP then it would be in the quote bit above my post. Like yours is.

Your interest in sport or street is your thing. I have done both.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There's a simple way around that. Do it properly.
\
This is a proper application of a backfist under traditional karate self defense. As is the forearm with age-uke. Strike or block, or block-strike for all you block-strikers....
|
EDIT: btw. better lift some weights.... You'll never be able to break those boards without weightlifting program.... Your vid demo is just a 'fluke.' Bulk up bro'....

Latest Discussions