YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! KKW 17th F.I.C.

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was just yanking your chain TF...Not serious. I apologize if I offended you....
Sulsa, or diarrhea (direct translation), you got my sarcasm...good. There was a lot of motivational garbage there.

So ... exactly what is your point with me? We've covered the sulsa part of my name before here. Is it a girl thing, or are you just incapable of following the forum rules?

Not trying to break any rules, no malice behind my statement. It just so happens that I was told that the word "Sulsa" translates to a condition similar to the runs....that's all.

I can see how this "language lesson" fits the original post.
Once I bash my head into the wall 20 or 30 times, drink a case of Bud, and maybe smoke some of it too.

Here, read, learn, then stop trolling.

Also and here.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dueling Chonkwon with Master Ahn was definitely one of the highlights of the weekend-Master Southwick, YOU ARE AWESOME!

Meeting, sweating (unfortunately just a little), and dining with some of the most down-to-earth hardworking martial artists (Dortiz/IcemanSK/Lauren/CMassman/MSmithT) and Master Cooley was also awesome.

Master Southwick and others have detailed the pros and cons of the weekend but I have a just a few points to add.

Taekwondo has been a part of my life for over 30 years. I think often of how I am blessed to have had wonderful instructors, seniors, students, and friends. Several of the presenters this weekend reminded us of just how life-changing Taekwondo can be: Master Chan Lee who has helped a crippled child learn to walk (along with his father GM Jae Kyu Lee), and Dr. Chun Jae Park, a world champion who discovered and related how important Taekwondo has been to him. These gentlemen have helped remind me what is really important in life.

As a person in a profession which deals with details and public speaking, I was amazed at how well GM Harris reviewed and explained the WTF competition rules....without notes. His knowledge and experience are awesome!

I had the good fortune to have taken this course in Korea in 2004. I look forward to the time when the course presented in the USA measures up to that which has been presented in Korea for over 10yrs now. I may be naive but I think it could be as good technically if the participants are qualified, willing to work hard, and not there for a piece of paper. It will also require the Kukkiwon to send sufficient instructors-Master Ahn was exceptional, but with so many students, he was limited by space and time.

On a decidedly personal note, I noticed on Saturday a Master wearing a dobok that said "Phillipines". I met an outstanding Filipino Taekwondoin in Korea but lost touch with him. So I approached this gentleman to ask if he knew my friend. The gentleman Saturday turned out to be my friend's brother! I hope to reconnect with Master Ong and get a chance to train with him again.

Thank you MT and USTC for providing me with a mechanism and opportunity to meet and train with some new friends.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Say me...1..2...3...you are awesome!!!
Seriously though, I really had a good time with everyone. Yeah, the speakers went off topic a little and the test procedure was "different".....but Master Ahn made up for it a little.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Miles you are correct and credit to Master B. Harris is due. He is one of the best refs in the world and it shows.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Counter Point (or at least a more politically correct review) from Jeffrey Anderson

Jeffrey Anderson (TKD.NET) said:
Everyone,

I just had to put in a quick note to say thank you very much, to everyone at the USTC and Kukkiwon for putting on the instructors course in Chicago this week. I had a great time, and learned a lot. There were some really insightful sessions that had taken place, including dojang marketing, creative enrollment practices, sparring techniques (led by Master Sammy Pejo), taekwondo leadership (led by Master David Martin) and others.

By far the most helpful class to myself, was the hands on updates on all taegeuk and black belt poomsae, led by the current World poomsae champion and Kukkiwon instructor. He was not only amazing, but very nice and extremely helpful. The challenge with current Kukkiwon poomsae standards, is getting the information in a timely fashion. We were practicing them with the right eyes on us, to make sure we had it right. There were little question marks I had with a number of those forms, and they were all addressed.

I can't say thanks enough. It was a great time, and once again, the USTC has provided a unique opportunity to participate in something normally only available in Korea.

I look forward to whatever else comes up from the USTC.

Best,

Jeff.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Counter Point (or at least a more politically correct review) from Jeffrey Anderson

Yes, this guy is awesome (could not resist) ;)

PC or company line....he enjoyed himself...(maybe put the hot chocolate idea to good use?)

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am sorry, I just cant help but laugh out loud (SERIOUSLY) when I read that someone learned "Creative Enrollment Practices" at the event.

I am seriously in tears from laughing so hard.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
His first teacher is the president of the USTC. I would expect this answer but he also might have liked that.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not trying to break any rules, no malice behind my statement. It just so happens that I was told that the word "Sulsa" translates to a condition similar to the runs....that's all.
So are you saying the Chinese character that is used to translate Sulsa also mean 'runs' or are you just referring the to the direct Korean translation?

Just like 'Bi' can mean blood or rain depending on the character used.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is my hope that many of you realize that this the first time something like this has been attempted. While it was far from being perfect, the fact that the USTC is attempting to provide this type of service as well as others does show their committment to US TKD. There are always going to be stumbling blocks for first attempts, but the feed back being provided here does help the USTC better gauge how to handle the event for next time.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Stumbling blocks? How about cheating to look good; is this what integrity is? This is the “same old same old” from the people in charge. Defending the behavior is hypocrisy, if you want my respect and support act respectfully. (not you miguksaram)
People wonder why there was a power shift, here is the answer. I would hope that most taekwondo practitioners would believe in what they learn and teach instead of trying to collect rank, titles, certifications and trophies. We should be trying to increase our skill and practice what we preach.
That is all I will say at this time.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Stumbling blocks? How about cheating to look good; is this what integrity is? This is the “same old same old” from the people in charge. Defending the behavior is hypocrisy, if you want my respect and support act respectfully. (not you miguksaram)
People wonder why there was a power shift, here is the answer. I would hope that most taekwondo practitioners would believe in what they learn and teach instead of trying to collect rank, titles, certifications and trophies. We should be trying to increase our skill and practice what we preach.
That is all I will say at this time.
I'm not sure what you mean by "cheating to look good". Can you elaborate a bit more?

I know you didn't address the "if you want my respect..." comment at me, but were you addressing the "Defending the behaviour is hypocricy" comment towards me? If so I do not understand how I would be a hypocrit in defending it. If not then....nevermind.

You say that this is the "same old same old", but what has been done by those who took over to try and provide a similar opportunity?

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The big question here is does the Kukkiwon have any value left? First a very questionable Black Belt testing, now this.... There are also many instances of people getting certified who are questionable... 30 years ago the Kukkowon certification meant something.... I am sad to realize that it no longer does. It has been sold, abused and given to any Tom, Dick or Harry who has the right amount of $$$. The only value it has is in the minds of those of us who were told over and over again that it had value. And its very hard to realize that you have been duped. Especially if you have been duped for many years.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is my hope that many of you realize that this the first time something like this has been attempted. While it was far from being perfect, the fact that the USTC is attempting to provide this type of service as well as others does show their committment to US TKD. There are always going to be stumbling blocks for first attempts, but the feed back being provided here does help the USTC better gauge how to handle the event for next time.

This is a valid point. At the end of the Course, the USTC passed around a questionnaire and I responded that I support the effort to bring good quality Kukkiwon-qualified instructors and instruction to the USA.

I also responded that the non-Kukkiwon employed presenters should have stuck to their respective subjects and kept the "I will help you make more $$" out of the Course. Those subjects could be presented at a Course geared toward sales and marketing or presented by a number of MA industry groups already doing so.

Others have much more knowledge of the organizers and their history. I went to the Course along with 3 of my students to learn and train. We did a little of both and had some fun meeting new people along the way. I believe the chance to train and learn from Prof An alone was worth the price. Spending quality time with some MT folks...priceless.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is another review from an apparently alternate universe. Were you guys all in the same building?

Scott Stevens (TKD.Net) said:
I wanted to express my sincere appreciation to the USTC and Kukkiwon for bringing the Kukkiwon Instructor Course to Chicago this past weekend. I learned a great deal and was very impressed with the quality of all presenters. I have returned to my training with new vigor and a virtual gold mine of ideas that will keep me busy improving my Taekwondo and my Taekwondo program for a long time to come. It was truly an honor to be part of this historic event.

While I was impressed with the course and the quality of the presenters, I was shocked by the apparent lack of respect for the Kukkiwon standards on the part of many attendees. I was astonished to see so many participants that were unprepared with little to no knowledge of the Kukkiwon terminology, poomse and the current technical standard. Apparently many people wanted the Kukkiwon to sign off on them as instructors but were not willing to learn or practice the Kukkiwon standards before hand. I found this lack of integrity saddening and inexcusable considering the unprecedented amount of high-quality books and videos that are currently available on the subject. Furthermore, many attendees clearly had little respect for the time of the presenters and others in attendance. I could not help to wonder how much we were already missing out on due to the fact that what is normally a five-day, 40-hour course had to be compressed into approximately 25 hours and now I wonder how much the presenters were slowed down by those who were woefully unprepared.

The 17th foreigners Kukkiwon Instructor Course was a wonderful & inspirational experience that reignited my passion and love of Taekwondo. However, I am deeply concerned that the Kukkiwon representatives have left with a less than favorable impression of Taekwondo in the United States. Hopefully, the collective performance of the class will not deter the Kukkiwon or the USTC from offering future foreigners instructor courses outside of Korea.
Scott Stevens

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I m going to add somehing even though I was not their. I have read about some positives that was being done as TKD'ers we should always believe in what is positive about anything in life and I believe the USTC tried to bring something to us and hopefully the next one will be better. My only concern is why is it being billed as a Instructor course if it was not what the KKW offer over sea? You know over the last ten years we as Instructors have gone though alot with USTU, AAU and USAT and now the USTC, I believe each have there brite spots and merit to be a member to. I have a few athletes that are trying hard to stay positive and not get cought up in all the BS and I havebeen trying to so how to be a good role model by training harder over the last year, I figure if the USTC is trying to make an attempt to bring something positive to the US than we can try and only see the positive and I for one hopes this grows over the years and become something great.

I do agree with Master Miles and Master Southwick about being their just for a piece of paper take what you learned and apply it into your school and make the future brighter for my sons and yes I am trying to be a bright spot as well.

Latest Discussions