YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! KKW 17th F.I.C.

cmassman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I m going to add somehing even though I was not their. I have read about some positives that was being done as TKD'ers we should always believe in what is positive about anything in life and I believe the USTC tried to bring something to us and hopefully the next one will be better. My only concern is why is it being billed as a Instructor course if it was not what the KKW offer over sea? You know over the last ten years we as Instructors have gone though alot with USTU, AAU and USAT and now the USTC, I believe each have there brite spots and merit to be a member to. I have a few athletes that are trying hard to stay positive and not get cought up in all the BS and I havebeen trying to so how to be a good role model by training harder over the last year, I figure if the USTC is trying to make an attempt to bring something positive to the US than we can try and only see the positive and I for one hopes this grows over the years and become something great.

I do agree with Master Miles and Master Southwick about being their just for a piece of paper take what you learned and apply it into your school and make the future brighter for my sons and yes I am trying to be a bright spot as well.

I think the USTC made an attempt at doing something good. were there issues yes (if you look hard enough you can find issues with everything). I hope the USTC learns what to do better and improves on what they provided. Overall I was glad I when and I did learn a lot form all the presenters. Even Professor AWESOME and Ben Cho on what I don't want to become. I do TKD because I enjoy it. I'm never going to make my living on running a TKD school so my goals are much different than someone who is feeding his family off of TKD. I don't begrudge someone for making a living at selling TKD At the end of the day everyone has to look at themselves in the mirror and if they can more power to them.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It just struck me:

If you have the class in the US, why is it called a 'foreigner' course?
I understand that some foreigners were there....but the majority was from the US?

And if they have a foreigner course, what do they teach the non foreigners? (presumably in Korea...)

it's a puzzle (as well as to where they served the good Koolaide...)

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ron,
I am a bananahead. "15. Cheaters can prosper......158x200....I am too tired to do the math.
Just figured it out.
I was thinking Billy Cho when he said he graduates 150 Black Belts every year. At 500 clams thats an extra 75K.

Dave O.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Because the Kukkiwon is from Korea.
In Korea there is an Instructors course. Then once a year they host the Foreign Instructors course and this time they held it in the U.S.
It could have been there, Mexico or the U.S. But its the course, not the location that dictates it.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My understanding was that a huge reason why we did not cover the same material as the real Foreign Instructors course was because the USTC did not believe that American masters would go to a week long course. At the end of the session they asked who would still come if the course lasted four days instead of three. I believe all but maybe a half dozen said they would. Should the Kukkiwon come back (which right now I really doubt will happen) I hope the USTC decides to make the course longer and offer the EXACT curriculum as the real course, with modifications made only when US law prevents certain actions.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
"EXACT curriculum as the real course, with modifications made only when US law prevents certain actions. "

Yup! The course really needs to be taught matching the book. Thats the best advice back to the those that are reading this.

Dave O.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay.. read through some of this thread and all I can say is....

"Awesome"

:wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lordy. I'm going to have to bite my tongue as I pass the TKD classroom on my way to my class tonight.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lordy. I'm going to have to bite my tongue as I pass the TKD classroom on my way to my class tonight.

Just offer them some hot chocolate... :lol2:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"EXACT curriculum as the real course, with modifications made only when US law prevents certain actions. "

Yup! The course really needs to be taught matching the book. Thats the best advice back to the those that are reading this.

Dave O.

Good grief what on earth do they teach that can be against the law? Ooo I hope it's something rude I need a laugh...please?

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good grief what on earth do they teach that can be against the law? Ooo I hope it's something rude I need a laugh...please?

I only meant some things that are allowed in Korea (and other countries) but not in the US. Some of this was covered earlier or in another thread, but as an example in the Kukkiwon course it discusses pre-hospital care. But in the US you better have first aid certification, do only what you have been trained to do and in reality do as little as necessary, call 911 and wait for the professionals. There is also a section on counseling, which you could also get in trouble for using in the US if you are not educated/certified to act in that scope.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the USTC made an attempt at doing something good. were there issues yes (if you look hard enough you can find issues with everything). I hope the USTC learns what to do better and improves on what they provided. Overall I was glad I when and I did learn a lot form all the presenters. Even Professor AWESOME and Ben Cho on what I don't want to become. I do TKD because I enjoy it. I'm never going to make my living on running a TKD school so my goals are much different than someone who is feeding his family off of TKD. I don't begrudge someone for making a living at selling TKD At the end of the day everyone has to look at themselves in the mirror and if they can more power to them.

Uh sir, that is Grandmaster Dr. Awesome to you:supcool:.

You hit the nail on head with this post. I'm glad that Prof. Ahn from the KKW & several others of you were there balance out these two & give great examples of what true TKDoan should be.:asian:

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was thinking Billy Cho when he said he graduates 150 Black Belts every year. At 500 clams thats an extra 75K.

Dave O.
I've seen some of his black belts....Sad is the only description I can come up with.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It was a pleasure to see and sit close to many of you wonderful Taekwondoin at the Kukkiwon instructor course over the weekend. Although I never got a chance to talk to many of you that have made posts about the course, I can tell who you are by the general comments you’ve made. I think it’s a great thing for us to be honest about what we saw, but there could be a danger of letting all the good stuff flow to the drains as we unplug the waste tanks.

Like many of you, I’ve been involved in Taekwondo for more than 20 years and I’ve yet to attend a seminar, course or competition where mediocrity doesn’t rear its ugly head. Snake oil salesmen spewing rubbish will always slither into conferences and seminars that are aimed at making us better at what we do. These reptiles seem to be present in every profession. In my early days as a journalist I recall attending conferences at which rookie reporters earning $18,000 a year had to listen to so called veterans – who made three figures – talk about how they covered the world on unlimited budgets. Many of those veterans are now out of work as the print newspaper business evaporates or have become mouthpieces for industries they spent years eviscerating.

As in any profession, Taekwondo also will always have suspect characters showing up at certification courses and seminars: The 7th Dan who staggers in and it’s discovered his Kukkiwon records end at 1st Dan; the 4th Dan who performs Taichi movements in Keumgang, etc. Somehow, these characters pass the tests, get certificates and run dojangs and there’s nothing we can do.

For some of us who take Taekwondo seriously, attending the Kukkiwon seminar came down to simple choices: Bleed your bank account and head to Seoul, or attend the course in Chicago, hope for the best and get the best out of it. We learned some simple lessons, good and bad:

I. Most Taekwondoin are really nice and genuine folk entrapped in a web of Korean economic, political and class intrigue.
2. How to run a McDojangs and operate a blackbelt conveyer belt.
3. Everybody makes basic mistakes and even world class Taekwondoin can forget where to put their hands when doing a basic punch or block.
4. A genuine Taekwondo master can help you improve your poomsae and assist you to sharpen or relearn basic movements, no matter what level you are.
5. A good referee can help you understand the “Lopez rule” in sparring and what punch and kick scores a hit, no matter how confusing the subject might sound in the era of the electronic hogu.
6. That row of 4 or even 9 gold lines embroidered on the tip of your belt is not kosher.
7. A world class sparring coach can teach wonderful footwork for evasion and offense, but forget to mention that blocking still exists and is a very important part of Taekwondo.
8. The difference between Taekwondo dojangs and daycare centers is blurring faster than we think.
9. Taekwondo grandmasters with doctorate degrees can spark irrelevant debate. What was Napoleon Bonarparte’s biggest defeat? Trafalgar, Waterloo, or Russia?
10. Our competitors are completely ignorant of the adult, senior and corporate markets.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk ArchTKD! I was a pleasure meeting you at the Course!

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It was a pleasure to see and sit close to many of you wonderful Taekwondoin at the Kukkiwon instructor course over the weekend. Although I never got a chance to talk to many of you that have made posts about the course, I can tell who you are by the general comments you’ve made. I think it’s a great thing for us to be honest about what we saw, but there could be a danger of letting all the good stuff flow to the drains as we unplug the waste tanks.

Like many of you, I’ve been involved in Taekwondo for more than 20 years and I’ve yet to attend a seminar, course or competition where mediocrity doesn’t rear its ugly head. Snake oil salesmen spewing rubbish will always slither into conferences and seminars that are aimed at making us better at what we do. These reptiles seem to be present in every profession. In my early days as a journalist I recall attending conferences at which rookie reporters earning $18,000 a year had to listen to so called veterans – who made three figures – talk about how they covered the world on unlimited budgets. Many of those veterans are now out of work as the print newspaper business evaporates or have become mouthpieces for industries they spent years eviscerating.

As in any profession, Taekwondo also will always have suspect characters showing up at certification courses and seminars: The 7th Dan who staggers in and it’s discovered his Kukkiwon records end at 1st Dan; the 4th Dan who performs Taichi movements in Keumgang, etc. Somehow, these characters pass the tests, get certificates and run dojangs and there’s nothing we can do.

For some of us who take Taekwondo seriously, attending the Kukkiwon seminar came down to simple choices: Bleed your bank account and head to Seoul, or attend the course in Chicago, hope for the best and get the best out of it. We learned some simple lessons, good and bad:

I. Most Taekwondoin are really nice and genuine folk entrapped in a web of Korean economic, political and class intrigue.
2. How to run a McDojangs and operate a blackbelt conveyer belt.
3. Everybody makes basic mistakes and even world class Taekwondoin can forget where to put their hands when doing a basic punch or block.
4. A genuine Taekwondo master can help you improve your poomsae and assist you to sharpen or relearn basic movements, no matter what level you are.
5. A good referee can help you understand the “Lopez rule” in sparring and what punch and kick scores a hit, no matter how confusing the subject might sound in the era of the electronic hogu.
6. That row of 4 or even 9 gold lines embroidered on the tip of your belt is not kosher.
7. A world class sparring coach can teach wonderful footwork for evasion and offense, but forget to mention that blocking still exists and is a very important part of Taekwondo.
8. The difference between Taekwondo dojangs and daycare centers is blurring faster than we think.
9. Taekwondo grandmasters with doctorate degrees can spark irrelevant debate. What was Napoleon Bonarparte’s biggest defeat? Trafalgar, Waterloo, or Russia?
10. Our competitors are completely ignorant of the adult, senior and corporate markets.

What an awesome response! You are correct.

Latest Discussions