WTF is this

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Look sometimes video does not do justice to anybody real ability, I mean playing around for fun is not the same as self defense on the street. I am sure they enjoy what they are doing and to be honest here that is all that matters.

One of the resons I stopped posting on here was all the crap people have to say without ever putting anything up about them. I for one am not the same fighter, workout guy I was twenty years ago, but I am still enjoying beijng able to do something inside my school. Teaching is great but being able to still jog, kick and punch even though it is not perfect or near perfect is good enough for me at this point and time in my life.

Get off people backs and be thankful people still train at whatever ability they have anymore, we critisize to many kids in TKD, then we critisize the adults look bad, then we critisize those that critisize. When will we be able to say I can appreciate them for being out there doing what they can for as long as they can.

Try and have a wonderful lif eand rememberuntil you post yourself give some respect for those that do.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look sometimes video does not do justice to anybody real ability, I mean playing around for fun is not the same as self defense on the street. I am sure they enjoy what they are doing and to be honest here that is all that matters.

One of the resons I stopped posting on here was all the crap people have to say without ever putting anything up about them. I for one am not the same fighter, workout guy I was twenty years ago, but I am still enjoying beijng able to do something inside my school. Teaching is great but being able to still jog, kick and punch even though it is not perfect or near perfect is good enough for me at this point and time in my life.

Get off people backs and be thankful people still train at whatever ability they have anymore, we critisize to many kids in TKD, then we critisize the adults look bad, then we critisize those that critisize. When will we be able to say I can appreciate them for being out there doing what they can for as long as they can.

Try and have a wonderful lif eand rememberuntil you post yourself give some respect for those that do.

Sitting at a table judging PoomSe for the World Hanmadang we had many American adults of different sizes rank and ability one person obviously heavy but still doing well. The Korean master leaned over to me and goes Huh Nice Body? I turned to him and said Hanmadang is for everyone all ages all abilities Sport TKD is dying you want people to get up and participate in TKD pay you money shame on you. I think the same comment to the OP also fits for the WTF is this? SHAME ON YOU Karma is Karma some day you may have the shoe on the other foot?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Just because there is one guy with snow on the top...

There are a LOT of younger guys in the back there.

A friend of mine started TKD at the age of 61.
She had never done anything remotely like that. Sure, she always worked hard, having been raised on a farm, etc, but nothing in this shape or form.
With bad artheritis and shot hips, she still could outdo those gentlemen in forms.
And may I mention that 'our style' was by any means hard hitting.

That display however pretty much flies in the face of everything remotely traditional.

Don't get me wrong. A form performed at speed can be a thing of beauty.

But it should not look like a bunch of kids playing TKD after they have watched Bruce Lee movie.

The mechanics should be correct at bare minimum....

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well mixed feelings here. Afther seen the vids I have to conclusions 1.-I don't like waht I saw and this is from the technical aspect and 2.-I liked what I see about regular old guys doing exercise and some kind of kicking martial art. In conclution, I think no matter wjhat you do to stay in shape or truying to be healthy in the 40+ years of your life.

I am not a perfect tkdoing, I have my flaws (many) and I am not bya any standars a super atlhete or super master about martial arts, my kicks are rtegular, some very good some very poor but what really likes me is that TKD/Martial Arts are something good to me and my health.

Manny

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm. I guess that is how they do it at their school. Not like anything i have seen before except for maybe Ed Parker kenpo. Not to my liking but i am a lowly 5 dan kkw/mdk. The bjj in me is laughing hysterically.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question would be: what is gained by performing a kata in this fashion? Looking at the various practitioners in the video, including the instructor, I see people off-balance. I see kicks and strikes that just wouldn't work, as performed for the video, in a real altercation. I don't see where a full understanding of the kata can be gained with their methodology. Keeping in mind this is just a quick glimpse of their program, it makes me wonder what the rest of it is like? But like my original question: what is gained by performing a kata in this fashion?

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are all those people who go on and on about rank being meaningless in martial arts?

Pax,

Chris

This is a valid question. How does rank have meaning outside of a specific school and perhaps an organization? The measuring stick is made of rubber. How can you compare someone that makes 1st Dan in TKD in a year or two against someone in a different art that takes five years? Both may have given 100% effort, know the material but the ranking philosophy differs. How can you compare a 5th Dan in a SD art that has survived the street but really wouldn't make it far in competiton? Or on the flip side, someone that is a 5th Dan in a sport art that is very athletic and prosperous on the tourny circuit but may have his butt handed to him by a mugger? The 9th Dan in the video, how does he stack up against a 9th Dan in your art? What is the criteria for judging him good or bad?

Rank will never have a universal standard. First you'd have to break it down by the focus of the art i.e. SD or sport. Then you'd have to break it down further by associations. Can anyone ever see GM's and masters taking a rank cut to have a universal standard in their art? For example, let's just say TKD merged into one big happy family. We'll even put aside the SD/sport aspect. Now let's say the TKD is going to have just one...and only one GM and he's a 9th Dan. Heck, let's ake him a 10th just to be even about it. Now perhaps, since we're talking about TKD which is worldwide we alot a specific, set amount of 9th Dan's. Perhaps we base it on the population of the country, but we make it a rather small, manageable number. And so forth down the line with the number of Dans per grade increasing as we get lower on the scale and below the 'master level it is unlimited. To enforce some sort of standard such as total TIG and TIA there will be folks that have to take a rank cut. Anybody see this happening? Nope. Even if it were for the 'good of the art' and a 'healing and unifying action to bring TKD all together' yada yada. Do you see anyone cutting rank and placing the art above their Dan number? Perhaps a few. But I'd say a very few. And for that matter...who's the GM going to be?

Thus my point; rank doesn't really matter outside of your own school and perhaps...and this is a perhaps, your own association.

So when someone says, "I'm a black belt" you really have to think...what does that really mean?

Does anyone think of the instructor in the video as a 9th Dan? It would seem those in the video might. Does this make him 'legite'? Again, what is the measuring stick to be used?

Things that make you go, 'hmmmmm' :uhyeah:

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to admit that as I experience more and different things, stuff like this bothers me less and less.

If his students like what they are learning, does it really matter if we think this guy is terrible? MA is subjective after all.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a valid question. How does rank have meaning outside of a specific school and perhaps an organization? The measuring stick is made of rubber. How can you compare someone that makes 1st Dan in TKD in a year or two against someone in a different art that takes five years? Both may have given 100% effort, know the material but the ranking philosophy differs. How can you compare a 5th Dan in a SD art that has survived the street but really wouldn't make it far in competiton? Or on the flip side, someone that is a 5th Dan in a sport art that is very athletic and prosperous on the tourny circuit but may have his butt handed to him by a mugger? The 9th Dan in the video, how does he stack up against a 9th Dan in your art? What is the criteria for judging him good or bad?

Rank will never have a universal standard. First you'd have to break it down by the focus of the art i.e. SD or sport. Then you'd have to break it down further by associations. Can anyone ever see GM's and masters taking a rank cut to have a universal standard in their art? For example, let's just say TKD merged into one big happy family. We'll even put aside the SD/sport aspect. Now let's say the TKD is going to have just one...and only one GM and he's a 9th Dan. Heck, let's ake him a 10th just to be even about it. Now perhaps, since we're talking about TKD which is worldwide we alot a specific, set amount of 9th Dan's. Perhaps we base it on the population of the country, but we make it a rather small, manageable number. And so forth down the line with the number of Dans per grade increasing as we get lower on the scale and below the 'master level it is unlimited. To enforce some sort of standard such as total TIG and TIA there will be folks that have to take a rank cut. Anybody see this happening? Nope. Even if it were for the 'good of the art' and a 'healing and unifying action to bring TKD all together' yada yada. Do you see anyone cutting rank and placing the art above their Dan number? Perhaps a few. But I'd say a very few. And for that matter...who's the GM going to be?

Thus my point; rank doesn't really matter outside of your own school and perhaps...and this is a perhaps, your own association.

So when someone says, "I'm a black belt" you really have to think...what does that really mean?

Does anyone think of the instructor in the video as a 9th Dan? It would seem those in the video might. Does this make him 'legite'? Again, what is the measuring stick to be used?

Things that make you go, 'hmmmmm' :uhyeah:

what makes you think standards in this one big org would be more enforced than Kukkiwon standards? It isn't physically possible, there will always be crappy teachers with low standards.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
what makes you think standards in this one big org would be more enforced than Kukkiwon standards? It isn't physically possible, there will always be crappy teachers with low standards.
Good question. I would imagine it would start with having some sort of "regional directors". For example, a country like Australia with 20-25 million people, this org would have three regional directors permanantly based there, partly funded by membership fees. These directors would be employed, and would answer directly to,the international governing body. One of these directors would have to be present at all black belt gradings which would be held quarterly in capital cities (over a week if necessary). These directors would be required to attend seminars in korea (or wherever the international headquarters is located), and also conduct seminars in the country they work to ensure standards are being taught to instructors accross the country. Obviously countries with larger populations would have more directors etc. This is just quickly penned off the top of my head, obviously there are other considerations, but its a blue print of how things could be done.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good question. I would imagine it would start with having some sort of "regional directors". For example, a country like Australia with 20-25 million people, this org would have three regional directors permanantly based there, partly funded by membership fees. These directors would be employed, and would answer directly to,the international governing body. One of these directors would have to be present at all black belt gradings which would be held quarterly in capital cities (over a week if necessary). These directors would be required to attend seminars in korea (or wherever the international headquarters is located), and also conduct seminars in the country they work to ensure standards are being taught to instructors accross the country. Obviously countries with larger populations would have more directors etc. This is just quickly penned off the top of my head, obviously there are other considerations, but its a blue print of how things could be done.

Wow. A 1st Dan test would sure be expensive...
I think I prefer just not getting all that wrapped up in what belt someone is wearing.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think I prefer just not getting all that wrapped up in what belt someone is wearing.[/QUOT
The biggest cost I could see would be travel costs for directors but with say, 10 000 members in australia (for instance) all paying a $50 a year membership fee to the org and a black belt grading fees going to the org (no different from how the kkw currently do it),thats a lot of money. What does a kkw black belt grading currently cost and where does the money go? This is the way our club does it with 4000 members and we pay far less to test than a kkw black belt, and we have area managers who oversee everything. Im just throwing the idea out there, I havent done the sums :) Bjj and other arts like zendokai seem to able to maintain a high standard despite having huge numbers of practitioners so it is possible. Ego would be the biggest obstacle .

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I prefer just not getting all that wrapped up in what belt someone is wearing.
The biggest cost I could see would be travel costs for directors but with say, 10 000 members in australia (for instance) all paying a $50 a year membership fee to the org and a black belt grading fees going to the org (no different from how the kkw currently do it),thats a lot of money. What does a kkw black belt grading currently cost and where does the money go? This is the way our club does it with 4000 members and we pay far less to test than a kkw black belt, and we have area managers who oversee everything.

I don't pay any membership fee to the KKW or any other org. The KKW charges less than $100 to register a 1st Dan, any other fees are up to the person performing the grading. So, yes, it certainly would be different.
How much do you charge for a 1st Dan test in your club?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm, grading fees. Used to be a tenner, if my memory serves. Now it is something astronomical like £13 {plus a fiver for the days training that goes along with the testing} :lol:.

Of course that is because my sensei teaches through love of the art rather than trying to make a living at it.

I mean no malice when I say that one day the TKD bubble will burst, just like all artificial inflations do {Olympic sport or not, people will get wise, in the end, to the fact that they are getting royally ripped off}.

Latest Discussions