Member WTF

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Exactly what does it mean when a schools says it is a member of the WTF?

I have searched the WTF's website and can find no membership information. This leads me to believe all these schools charging a membership fee to belong to the WTF are just collecting fees and not forwarding them on to the WTF.

Correct me if I am wrong, but in the USA wouldn't the only organization to belong to be the USA Taekwondo (USAT), who is the recogonized organization in the United States.

Is there a possiblity some Grandmasters belong, directly, to the WTF and were grandfathered many years ago?

I think we all say we are de facto members of the WTF just because we study this style and have Dans issued by the Kukkiwon.

On a related note, has the official flag of the WTF, the one displayed in the school, changed to the new WTF swish? (I don't know what to call it!)

If so, where does one get one of these flags? I found one overseas source.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry you are right you cannot join the WTF, all the WTF does is govern the rules for the sport aspect of the Art. So many use that term wrong, what most mean is they are a sport TKD school and thes sound better than a sport school. Just for clasrification you cannot belong to the WTF.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have to throw my question in here. I hope we both can get more clarification here, Terrylamar.

I was talking to a guy who is Chung Do Kwan. It is very similar to the way my school practices TKD: low stances, more closely related to Shotokan.

But then he told me he is also WTF.

I had thought all WTF is Olympic style. He said that was not true.

Then he launched into some long history story and I hate to admit it, but he lost me and we were in a group so I did not get to get clear on how WTF does not equal Olympic style.

What I thought I knew, I no longer "know!" :) Help!

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The WTF is Olympic style but it grovens the rules for which all sport TKD, They oversee the rules for which people are playing the game. Kukkiwon is the one tha is issueing certificates for BB. Both the WTF and the KKW are inter linked thoughout each other. You can not have a membership from either otg, except for a BB certificate.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Maybe he means he is certified through the Kukkiwon.

Now, I have always chosen to not belong to any organization because I don't want to be bogged down with having to deal with people trying to interfere in my goals. My impression of the ITF was they wanted to regulate what is allowed to be taught and more abhorrent to me, what is not allowed to be taught.

Have I misunderstood these people all this time???

Is the Kukkiwon a different kind of org? If all it takes is to pay $80 to get certified, then why not? Some sheeple feel alot better if someone else tells them they are making a good decision. Oh, my. There I go telling what I really think. I hope no one will take offense. Please know I am only trying to learn more, not offend.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Oops! I guess we were typing at the same time, Terry1965. I could look this info up myself, and probably will, but it is much more fun to hear it from you. :)

So, as a person who does Chang Hon forms, could I easily get certified through Kukkiwon? Just to please the sheeples?

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Nah, has to be their forms. I'm out. :( Oh, well. It would just be a distraction, anyway. I have enough on my plate.

I have to stay the rogue that I am. :)

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have to throw my question in here. I hope we both can get more clarification here, Terrylamar.

I was talking to a guy who is Chung Do Kwan. It is very similar to the way my school practices TKD: low stances, more closely related to Shotokan.

But then he told me he is also WTF.

I had thought all WTF is Olympic style. He said that was not true.

Then he launched into some long history story and I hate to admit it, but he lost me and we were in a group so I did not get to get clear on how WTF does not equal Olympic style.

What I thought I knew, I no longer "know!" :) Help!

I agree with him, "Olympic style" only refers to you if you compete in Olympic style competitions. It is further complicated by Dans issued by the Kukkiwon. These days it is probably the most popular version of TKD practiced by those of us affiliated with the Kukkiwon and WTF.

However, there are many of us that do not put as much emphasis on WTF style sparring. We might participate in WTF or USAT sanctioned events, but that is not primary focus.

Speaking for myself, I am heavily influenced by my Tang Soo Do background.

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nah, has to be their forms. I'm out. :( Oh, well. It would just be a distraction, anyway. I have enough on my plate.

I have to stay the rogue that I am. :)

All you have to do is find someone of a higher rank with the Kukkiwon to recommend you.

While, technically, you need to know the Taeguk forms, with many, it would not be a sticking point.

Even if you can't find someone to recommend you because you don't practice the Taeguks, they are not that difficult to learn.

In my opinion, it is worth the extra trouble.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oops! I guess we were typing at the same time, Terry1965. I could look this info up myself, and probably will, but it is much more fun to hear it from you. :)

So, as a person who does Chang Hon forms, could I easily get certified through Kukkiwon? Just to please the sheeples?

If your instructor holds a 4th dan though the KKW than yes.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure if that's necessarily true anymore. One of the problems with the Kukkiwon in the past was that it wasn't hard to get certified through them, a by-product of Dr. Kim's desire for money. This lead to many unsavory people getting KKW certification who had no business getting it and using it to their advantage. Case in point: dual membership (ITF and KKW certification). Hopefully that's now changed, or should be.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure if that's necessarily true anymore. One of the problems with the Kukkiwon in the past was that it wasn't hard to get certified through them, a by-product of Dr. Kim's desire for money. This lead to many unsavory people getting KKW certification who had no business getting it and using it to their advantage. Case in point: dual membership (ITF and KKW certification). Hopefully that's now changed, or should be.
I know alot of people that have dual certificates, go figure most did it to make sure they could go either way if need be.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know alot of people that have dual certificates, go figure most did it to make sure they could go either way if need be.

Absolutely. I personally know quite a few that hedged their bets and got dual certification.
icon6.gif
I was fortunate in my respect in that I decided that the outlay of money was not worth the extra certification.
icon14.gif

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely. I personally know quite a few that hedged their bets and got dual certification.
icon6.gif
I was fortunate in my respect in that I decided that the outlay of money was not worth the extra certification.
icon14.gif

Whatdo you mean you were lucky? Which certification do you have?

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree with him, "Olympic style" only refers to you if you compete in Olympic style competitions. It is further complicated by Dans issued by the Kukkiwon. These days it is probably the most popular version of TKD practiced by those of us affiliated with the Kukkiwon and WTF.

However, there are many of us that do not put as much emphasis on WTF style sparring. We might participate in WTF or USAT sanctioned events, but that is not primary focus.

Speaking for myself, I am heavily influenced by my Tang Soo Do background.

Well, it's good to know. I learned something new!

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
All you have to do is find someone of a higher rank with the Kukkiwon to recommend you.

While, technically, you need to know the Taeguk forms, with many, it would not be a sticking point.

Even if you can't find someone to recommend you because you don't practice the Taeguks, they are not that difficult to learn.

In my opinion, it is worth the extra trouble.

Why do you think it is worth it, Terrylamar?

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It is an internationally recognized certificate. The WTF is the largest Taekwondo organization in the world. Proabably, the largest Martial Art organization in the world.

Some of use don't like the emphasis of the sporting aspect of TKD that the WTF pushes. Rather than thinking the WTF has no value, I would rather be a part of the organization and push for change within. Otherwise, the only impact I would have would be at my one school.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Brian and Terrylamar:

I ask these questions because I belong to no organization. My instructor doesn't belong to one and I am pretty independent, so it fits with my personality. I have considered it from time to time.

Does either the ITF or the WTF set any limits on what you teach in class? That has been my impression of the ITF, based on impressions of things I have read. I know even less about WTF than ITF.

I do an older style of ITF forms, so I don't feel I fit with current ITF style and I am not interested in changing how I do things. Are there people in the ITF who have not switched to newer styles and philosophies of the ITF? Or do you pretty much have to follow what the leaders say?

Thanks. I am interested in hearing about your experiences with your organizations.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian and Terrylamar:

I ask these questions because I belong to no organization. My instructor doesn't belong to one and I am pretty independent, so it fits with my personality. I have considered it from time to time.

Does either the ITF or the WTF set any limits on what you teach in class? That has been my impression of the ITF, based on impressions of things I have read. I know even less about WTF than ITF.

I do an older style of ITF forms, so I don't feel I fit with current ITF style and I am not interested in changing how I do things. Are there people in the ITF who have not switched to newer styles and philosophies of the ITF? Or do you pretty much have to follow what the leaders say?

Thanks. I am interested in hearing about your experiences with your organizations.

What the ITF does or doesn't do depends on the ITF in question - there are 3, as well as quite a few independent organizations performing Ch'ang H'on (ITF) tuls. Every organization has its own rules, priorities, and preferences. Our association has required standards that must be met - but no limit on what can be added to those standards. Our member instructors are welcome to add whatever they like to the standards we set forth, as long as they meet our requirements.

As far as the older style of forms... there's good and bad in performing tuls the "old" way. There are also several interpretations of the "old" way - and several interpretations of the "new" way, some of which are a lot closer to the "old" way than most people realize. It's all in which aspects of the art a practitioner feels are the most important.

Latest Discussions