Winter training

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just wanted to know if anyone had any favorite exercises or martial art related drills that they liked to do when it was really cold outrside.

I like to work out in my garage where it is really really cold and do some bag work. Also I like to do some meditation in the cold. I like to try to over come the coldness. Kinda like mind over matter type thing. Today is a good day for this where I live. We had an ice storm all night and now snow on top of that. Jogging in this kind of weather is kinda cool to (no pun intended).

How do you train in severe cold weather?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to know if anyone had any favorite exercises or martial art related drills that they liked to do when it was really cold outrside.

I like to work out in my garage where it is really really cold and do some bag work. Also I like to do some meditation in the cold. I like to try to over come the coldness. Kinda like mind over matter type thing. Today is a good day for this where I live. We had an ice storm all night and now snow on top of that. Jogging in this kind of weather is kinda cool to (no pun intended).

How do you train in severe cold weather?

I enjoy working out when it is cold. When coming up through the ranks Sensei would have who ever wanted to, take a shower in our Gi’s and head outside to practice basics.

Uchinanchu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ah memories! When I was...well let's just say younger (it was back in early years of my training), my first sensei used to have us make a (fairly short & quick) run around the courtyard outside when there was snow on the ground. The catch was, we did it barefoot. Talk about motivation to get back inside and train harder!!

Just to make sure that we warmed up faster, we had to partner up, one person on his back, his feet up. The other would open his dogi, take the other guys feet and rub them on his stomach! I'm not sure which was worst!

I have been exposed to various other winter time activities in the past, but now there is no real opportunity for it. Okinawa never gets that cold (and we sure never get snow).

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You guys should feel lucky having winter. I have just finished a 3 hour session at 40C+ and I can tell you I'd rather be cooler!!
icon12.gif

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mostly we try to avoid torn muscles. I don't think we've ever had a winter in a heated space.

mozzandherb

Green Belt
Reaction score
A little twist to this...the winter makes me want to training harder because there is nothing to do outside because it's too damn cold. There's cold and then there's -30celsius cold and in this kind of cold, frostbite comes quick.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

I enjoy working out when it is cold. When coming up through the ranks Sensei would have who ever wanted to, take a shower in our Gi’s and head outside to practice basics.

-50 C with the windchill, what is that in F.? How far do you think you'd make it before you turned into a Seasonedsickle? It's tough to breath when it's that cold out. This is the time of year when heavy weave Gi's are good.:uhyeah:

OP
JadeDragon3

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's 19 F (thats below freezing) degrees outside where I live. It got down to like below zero last night. To make things worse over 350,000 people were without power in the state of Kentucky.

I love cold weather training. It builds stamina. I especially like do Gi Gong standing barefoot in my freezing cold garage. It's tough but if you can endure that then everything else is easy. :)

Here is a link to convert celcius and farenhiet. http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
[/b]

-50 C with the windchill, what is that in F.?

-58 degrees fahrenheit

To cold for me to go train outside. But last winter my Sanda sifu gave me a call to meet outside for some tuishou and I thought he was crazy since it was -4F outside. But since I was not brave enough to tell him I thought he was crazy I did go meet him and he was dressed considerably lighter than I was and he thought I was crazy for dressing so heavily... but he was not afraid to tell me :D. I then found out that -20C (-4F) was the average temperature where he grew up in North China so I guess it is all relative...to a point...but -50C is just damn to cold IMO and I LIKE the cold

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love winter training and being outside. The feel of moving in fresh snow is really great and grappling is a blast. I think all to often we get to complacent with indoor training and we all need to get outside and experience the weather. Snow, Rain, Fog, Night, Sun, etc. they all work for me.
icon6.gif

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
-58 degrees fahrenheit

To cold for me to go train outside. But last winter my Sanda sifu gave me a call to meet outside for some tuishou and I thought he was crazy since it was -4F outside. But since I was not brave enough to tell him I thought he was crazy I did go meet him and he was dressed considerably lighter than I was and he thought I was crazy for dressing so heavily... but he was not afraid to tell me :D. I then found out that -20C (-4F) was the average temperature where he grew up in North China so I guess it is all relative...to a point...but -50C is just damn to cold IMO and I LIKE the cold

I had to round up the mares, who picked the coldest day to break the fence and bugger off. I dressed for the 4 mile walk ( 2 out, 2 back, not including the slog through the farmer's field of thigh high snow drifts) with 3 layers of Gore-Tex, Wool and Thinsulate. I still ended up with frostbite on my nose tip, lips, eyelids and cheeks. Anything exposed just froze in minutes. Why do I live here? (My big mare knows how to unplug the electric fence, or did know how.)
Lori

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I practice a lot more ukemi, because when it is icy you are more likely to slip and fall then you are to be mugged. Unless you live in Gotham city or something...

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I practice a lot more ukemi, because when it is icy you are more likely to slip and fall then you are to be mugged. Unless you live in Gotham city or something...

ha ha... nice!

iceColdGetawayBatmanBig.jpg

Training outdoors can be awesome! Something I haven't done often enough. Thanks for this thread, I think I'm gonna go workout in the icy woods tonight for an hour or two...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I had to round up the mares, who picked the coldest day to break the fence and bugger off. I dressed for the 4 mile walk ( 2 out, 2 back, not including the slog through the farmer's field of thigh high snow drifts) with 3 layers of Gore-Tex, Wool and Thinsulate. I still ended up with frostbite on my nose tip, lips, eyelids and cheeks. Anything exposed just froze in minutes. Why do I live here? (My big mare knows how to unplug the electric fence, or did know how.)
Lori

This is a good argument for why I don't own horses :D

Latest Discussions