Heavy bag placement - let me bounce some ideas off of you guys...

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm really wanting to find space for a heavy bag.

My basement is out of the question, as it's too small, with low ceilings, and a telepost is right in the middle. Simply put, no room in the basement/ceiling is too low.

The main floor is pretty open, but I wouldn't be able to permanently keep a bag on the ceiling. It would be possible for me to hang a bag from the ceiling, and take it down after I'm done with it, just leaving the joist bracket on the ceiling (yeah, it would be a pain, but I'd do it if I had to).
My daughter's room is directly above the only spot that would work, and I'd be concerned about her being able to hear the bag bouncing around as I kick it. Thoughts?

My only other option is the garage. I live 3 hours north of Fargo, ND, and this means our winters are cold, really cold. My garage would work quite well, but I'd have to dress accordingly, and wear footwear of some sort.
Frankly, my garage is my best bet, so I'll ask a few questions;

Footwear - any suggestions?
Cold weather training - I'm pretty warm blooded, so a good hoodie and a decent pear of sweat pants and something on my head is about all I'd need, even on the coldest days (I'll be keeping myself warm right?). Any suggestions/thoughts?

Lastly, standing bags...any input? I've read a bit online, and it seems they all slide around. I see this as a problem, as my main floor space is limited.
Also, I can't carry a 270lb bag into the basement when I'm done with it, as I could do with a 100/120lb bag that would hang from the ceiling.

Help guys! I need more practice kicking.

Kevin

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hang it in the garage, wear some good crosstrainers, dress warmly in the winter and use a spaceheater if needed.

Not a bad idea to wear shoes anyway since it's unlikely you will be barefoot if you ever need to defend yourself. Kicks feel different with shoes on, good idea to get used to it.

OP

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for your input.

Why wouldn't I want to hang the heavy bag from my joists?

Budget is a factor here too, I'm not willing to spend $1000 on a stand at this time.

Kevin

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Budget is a factor here too, I'm not willing to spend $1000 on a stand at this time.Lastly, standing bags...any input? I've read a bit online, and it seems they all slide around. I see this as a problem, as my main floor space is limited.
Also, I can't carry a 270lb bag into the basement when I'm done with it, as I could do with a 100/120lb bag that would hang from the ceiling.

Kevin

Yes the standing bags do slide around a bit....I know a gent that welded one together out of scrap metal if that's a help..

MasterWright

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Budget is a factor here too, I'm not willing to spend $1000 on a stand at this time.

Kevin
If you hang it from your joists it might affect plumbing pipes and electrical wiring that is stapled to them. It may also twist and cause damage to your house as well.

I saw one today for $299.00 Canadian which is about 235 US and it was a really nice one with the speed bag on the other side. I made mine with flat bar on the bottom and used tapcons to screw it tio the floor, but I have a millwright shop.

Boxing Depot has one http://www.boxingdepot.com/heavy-bag-stand.html for $129.00

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've got mine hanging from a heavy duty spring and it seems to absorb the shock nicely and dissipates the energy from going into the house .

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I replaced our old hanging bag a couple of years ago. It was a 90lb bag with a vinyl cover made by GeneSport, Canadian manufacturer, I think. All the hanging bags I found years later tended to be much, much lighter -- I guess that's a result of the popularity of cardio-based kicking / punching activities.

There were all kinds of bags that stand on the floor, but I guess those are just easier for stores to stock and ship. I did find a good 110 lb, but it has a large plastic tube in it that you fill with water. It's in the basement.

Wouldn't put that in the garage in winter.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
What are you wanting the heavy bag for? Footwork or moving around it?, if so then I think the garage would be the best. If you are looking for my self-defense type drilling a Body Opponent Bag (BOB) might be a good option. I put mine in a corner, except I built a little wooden frame that moved it away from the wall so I could get to the sides etc. and kept it from moving.

Doesn't take up too much space at all.

OP

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you hang it from your joists it might affect plumbing pipes and electrical wiring that is stapled to them. It may also twist and cause damage to your house as well.

I saw one today for $299.00 Canadian which is about 235 US and it was a really nice one with the speed bag on the other side. I made mine with flat bar on the bottom and used tapcons to screw it tio the floor, but I have a millwright shop.

Boxing Depot has one http://www.boxingdepot.com/heavy-bag-stand.html for $129.00

Respectfully, I know this old house pretty well. The 2nd floor joists would handle the bag no problem, they're sheathed on either side, and they're clear fir that is roughly 60 years old.

I've decided to hang the bag in the garage.

OP

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What are you wanting the heavy bag for? Footwork or moving around it?, if so then I think the garage would be the best. If you are looking for my self-defense type drilling a Body Opponent Bag (BOB) might be a good option. I put mine in a corner, except I built a little wooden frame that moved it away from the wall so I could get to the sides etc. and kept it from moving.

Doesn't take up too much space at all.

For now I want to use it mostly for getting in more kicks. Kicking the air in my living room is ok, but I want to condition myself to actually kicking a target - we've got a local competition in April.

Kevin

MasterWright

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For now I want to use it mostly for getting in more kicks. Kicking the air in my living room is ok, but I want to condition myself to actually kicking a target - we've got a local competition in April.

Kevin
Another cool thing to do is to hang a focus pad to improve your speed, in the house if you like.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hang it in the garage, wear some good crosstrainers, dress warmly in the winter and use a spaceheater if needed.

Not a bad idea to wear shoes anyway since it's unlikely you will be barefoot if you ever need to defend yourself. Kicks feel different with shoes on, good idea to get used to it.

I agree with Crane on wearing shoes all the time when kicking a bag. For the reasons he mentioned, but also adds a measure of safety against injury when you're kicking hard & often.

OP

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Crane on wearing shoes all the time when kicking a bag. For the reasons he mentioned, but also adds a measure of safety against injury when you're kicking hard & often.

I'll start off easy, and I'll definitely be wearing shoes. Thanks guys.

Kevin

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have the same issue. I have nowhere good to hang a heavy bag in my house or even outside. I'm going to wind up with either a BOB or a wavemaster.