where you train,

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
painstain said:
what is your dojang like? floors, temperature, interrior? what do you like and dislike about it the most.

the one i teach at is a bare concret church gym with little insulation and no windows. hot in the summer cold in the winter.
where i train one school is similar to the one i teach, the other is the main facility for our divission. it has gymnastic padding and almost bare white walls with the korean and american flags.
I train in my back yard or basement.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
painstain said:
what is your dojang like? floors, temperature, interrior? what do you like and dislike about it the most.

the one i teach at is a bare concret church gym with little insulation and no windows. hot in the summer cold in the winter.
where i train one school is similar to the one i teach, the other is the main facility for our divission. it has gymnastic padding and almost bare white walls with the korean and american flags.
I train in my back yard or basement. I have had enough of the classroom, too many jackasses, and I just dont feel like it most of the time. Me and my instructor are good personal friends so we just train at our houses.
(whats up with the double post???wierd.)

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Where I train now has concrete floor with a thin rug and thin matts over it. It "looks" like your "hole in the wall dojang" from the outside, attached to the rear end of a furniture store, and with a factory (my job) just behind it. But it's pretty nice inside. We have weights, stretch machines, ect just off the training floor. It's a small place, but it fits the bill for what we do.

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I train in two different garages. In one garage it's about 110-115 degrees, and has no mat on the floor. The other gargae is actually air conditioned and insulated, so it gets down to a cozy 90, and it's also padded.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We train in a ballroom with terrazzo floors. We have 2 padded mats that we use. However, often not everyone can train on the mats, so we let the newer students train on the mats and the rest of us get the terrazzo. Sometimes the indoor tabis will slide on the terrazzo making it interesting. Definitely have to have decent ukemi for that.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
painstain said:

Location: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...t&state=MI&zipcode=48506&country=US&geodiff=1

It is not in the best neighborhood. The outside is boarded up. It is an old building where four buildings were in one. Three are the "Flint Dojo" - recent business name change for legal and tax purposes, but everyone knows it as the "Flint Dojo" One of the four was a storage unit and every few years there woudl be a fire and so you could see Black around the windows from fire damage and of course this was the side closest to a road besides the "Fronts". Many people are afraid the first time the get directions or think it is closed.

The exterior is Brick and needs a little work but is holding.

The training area is nice in my opinion. It used to have straw mats over plywood over tires on their side. Very nice for working out in my opinion. Some of the very old straw mats were replaced by I believe a slight purchase of some of the "newer" foam mats used in Judo. I say "newer" as they came used from the Michigan State University Judo Club.

There is heat, one furnace just for the training area, and another to heat the changing and storage areas. No AC, we get to open a door and turn on a 7' tall fan with just about 28" of blade diameter.

Concrete walls, to it is hot in the sumer and cold in the winter.

It is also a good place to train as there are lots of different clubs who rent space there. :)

I like it.

Latest Discussions