Environmental concerns and martial arts

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elfan

I almost always have a pen, car keys or cell phone with me that I woudn't like to be hit with. However, relying on them isn't something I would want to be the base of my art as I don't always have them nor are they always accesable.

I'm not familar with any "stick arts" so I would love so hear about how they adress issues like this.

Elfan,

May I try to clarify what I was trying to state.

'Stick Arts' do not need a weapon, to execute their techniques. The techniques translate equally with or without a weapon.

Best Regards

Rich

:)

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by GouRonin

As it started to snow here today I thought to myself, martial arts must be very region specific.

A Brazilian Jujitsu practitioner who fell to the ground here in winter to do his work might be in for a surpeise as he rolled in the snow. A TKD stylist who thought a lot of kicks might be the way to go might be in some trouble if he was on ice or snow. Knives won't have the same effect on someone wearing a heavy coat.

A lot of arts seem to be made for areas where the weather is different than here. I would think that a mobile art that keeps a base as often as possible would do best. Boxing, stick arts etc. More handwork than footwork.

Just thoughts. How would your art fare in a climate it's not intended for?
That's a generalization.

BJJ isn't just rolling around. Most TKD practitioners I've seen used more handwork than so much leg attacks.

Boxing would be even worse on ice and snow. Have you ever tried boxing on ice? Whether you choose not to believe it or not, boxing is just as much footwork as it is legwork. Power, mobility, and speed to some essence, come from it.

A boxer would have an advantage in a very narrow bridge, as in 1 meter wide over a wrestler, but on ice, everybody falls.

And all arts help you adapt to different situations, so you can't look at the art.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Actually on ice, the person who is better prepared as in the right shoes and clothes, will have the advantage.

Have any of you ever fought on wet grass? Or mud? You can't just say, "Oh, I'll just use hand techniques" because hand techniques are of direct correlation with your legs and visa versa. Try kicking without arm movement. Try running without arm movement. Try punching without your legs.

You can't say, in a crowded place that's narrow against multiple opponents, I'll use leg techniques because of its longer range and power and people don't have room to get out of the way.

In my experience, I wouldn't fight on ice, period. Jabbing will work well, but that's about it. But ice is pretty different as some ice has more friction and such depending on the situation. An ice rink that has just gone through its routine maintenance will make you slip more than pond ice.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In your eyes, I am an arrogant punk...you've made that point quite clear...Thank you for bringing such a positive tone to this "discussion."

I said that your comment was punkish and arrogant...I don't remember name calling. :rolleyes:

Enjoy yourself

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtist

That's a generalization.

BJJ isn't just rolling around. Most TKD practitioners I've seen used more handwork than so much leg attacks.

Boxing would be even worse on ice and snow. Have you ever tried boxing on ice? Whether you choose not to believe it or not, boxing is just as much footwork as it is legwork. Power, mobility, and speed to some essence, come from it.

A boxer would have an advantage in a very narrow bridge, as in 1 meter wide over a wrestler, but on ice, everybody falls.

And all arts help you adapt to different situations, so you can't look at the art.

Very well said.

OP
T

TkdWarrior

Have any of you ever fought on wet grass? Or mud? You can't just say, "Oh, I'll just use hand techniques" because hand techniques are of direct correlation with your legs and visa versa. Try kicking without arm movement. Try running without arm movement. Try punching without your legs.
nice thoughts inded MAist... this reminds me of an incident...
i was once hav personal class with my instructor somehow while practicing(against him) i slipped(didn't fall but enuff to loose my balance) i asked him to move to non slippery area to which he replied "wat if u got stuck in slippery area n slipped??" that question does make sense... so it doesn't mean that everyone should go out n start practicing their kicks n punches on ice...but it's about adaptation of environment...
the faster u adapt the more chances u hav to survive...isn't this is a law of nature??yup...
-TkdWarrior-

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just a thought...

I wonder how many people, in addition to training for environmental concerns, spend time working with their children or family members on what to do in the event a confrontation takes place while they are all together...

I know that with my kids and I have a few codes for what they are supposed to do in just such a situation. With one code, they line up behind me for safety, another they head for the door with a rallying point already identified, etc.

Any input?

Gambarimasu.

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by Rich Parsons

Elfan,

May I try to clarify what I was trying to state.

'Stick Arts' do not need a weapon, to execute their techniques. The techniques translate equally with or without a weapon.

Best Regards

Rich

:)

Gotcha :-D

OP
H

Humble artist

Biggest concern for me is that of differing clothing.
It is winter around here and nearly always does everyone wear heavy clothing.
This causes lots of vital points to be covered,also restricts some motion.
Luckily this goes both ways.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Yes, clothes are a big factor.

When you have a steel-toe boot... For other heavy shoes, I prefer not to kick that much.

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
originally posted by Rich Parsons
Personally I try to avoid going to the ground. Not because I am afraid of going to the ground but because I am afraid of going to the ground.

Huh? :confused:

OP
C

chufeng

Kenpo-Cory,

What he is saying is...

He is comfortable with ground fighting, BUT, almost always, there will be someone that is intent on spoiling your day when you go there.

Don't go to ground unless you have no choice...and then limit the time down.

:asian:
chufeng

OP
F

fanged_seamus

Originally posted by Yiliquan1

Just a thought...

I wonder how many people, in addition to training for environmental concerns, spend time working with their children or family members on what to do in the event a confrontation takes place while they are all together...

A few months ago (maybe more than a few), Black Belt Magazine featured an article on a series of hapkido techniques specifically designed for defending SOMEONE ELSE from an attack (e.g., the attacker is reaching to strangle the person standing next to you). It definitely made me think about self-defense techniques in a different light. Many of the techniques I've learned may not be the best choice when your significant other is standing next to you....

And regarding the main topic, in kenpo, we stress that "environment is everything" in self-defense. Environmental awareness is stressed, but it doesn't only apply to environment in the ecology sense of the word. It's also about not walking down an unlit street in a dangerous neighborhood. But I also find that I spend a lot more time THINKING about it than DOING SOMETHING about it, particularly with regard to the physical (rather than social) environment.

Guess it's time for me to get of my @$$ and start training. Luckily, winter's almost here and is promising to be icy. My steep driveway beckons....

Tad

OP
M

MartialArtist

Most of the time, when the environment impedes you, it also impedes everyone else. Use that to your advantage.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Most of the time, when the environment impedes you, it also impedes everyone else. Use that to your advantage.

EXACTLY! Your attacker is most likely armed, under the circimstances.

Latest Discussions