Wing Chun competing in Cage

Eru Ilúvatar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi!

Si-Je, if you're reading this, I was just wondering what happened to that fight? Did your 'hubbie' get in the cage yet? If he did, I would love to see a video.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That promoter (or whatever he is) was a bunk deal. I've got another promoter that has a fight on a military base, holding fights for the troops. We're focusing on that fight right now. Hubbies got more conditioning to do for the "show", although he's more than ready to fight.
If I can put him in another fight sooner I will (if the promoter doesn't put me off. I will not put up with shisty dealings).
That last fight 'opportunity' we really didn't think was such a big deal, just wanted to get him exposed in the "cage". But, even for a free fight we're going to have to watch these people. I really didn't see much point in him trying to pull one over on us, since he didn't have to pay him. Weird.
Hubbie's getting his personal trainer certifications, getting registered with TAMMA, with the boxing commission here in Texas, and by the summer will be ready for whatever this military promoter has got to offer.
We're really, really hoping for this fight. There's supposed to be MMA scouts there, professional guest fighters, and they may broadcast on the military cable channel. Still waiting for details. Their really short on women fighters, and wanting to get some there. He pays for the travel, room and board for the fighters and their crew and family.
We'll see. I'm going to try to hold off on getting excited until I see if he's TRUELY going to hold to his word.
But I will definately let you all know, when I know. He'll fight somewhere. And I'll get that video. It's the only way to show folks what WC can and WILL do in the cage.

Eru Ilúvatar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! :) Hope you hubbie does well! I would love to see how a capable Wing Chunner would do in a cage.

Their really short on women fighters, and wanting to get some there. He pays for the travel, room and board for the fighters and their crew and family.

Are you thinking of going in a cage yourself?

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
lol, oh God no! I tend to take being punched in the face really personal. Besides, I've only competed in one tournament in my life. With Korean Karate continious sparing rules (way smaller ring) and only fought one black belt female. (at 32 there's not alot of women that compete it seems).
I used straight wing chun and won, but I don't think that really qualifies me for the cage.
Honestly, I don't think I could repeatedly strike a woman like that without there being a life threatening need. I'd rather smack a guy around, lol! Girls are mean!

If I hurt someone I'd just die, if I got hurt I'd be pissed. (and uninsured. ack!)
Not a good attitude for a purse fighter I'm afraid. :)

Hubbie's got a better mindset for this type of thing. He can disengage and be more level headed for this kind of rough competition, and can be more sportsmanlike about it. Me, I'd be more apt to end the fight asap, not more of a show there, no theatrics, too blunt. Ending it fast would do better for my health. But not marketable.

naneek

Green Belt
Reaction score
looking forward to hearing about your husbands fight se je it would be cool to see it on video too if you guys can do that, it might silence a few critics too ha ha best wishes for the fight!!

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tell Hubbie to make some copies of his sparring with students sometime!

I'll have to be sneaky about filming them. They get all self-consicious when they know I'm videoing them. Start giggleing and stuff. tehehe
I do the same thing, lol! I tried to get some good video yesterday, but what I got hubbies got a big chesire cat grin and laughing the whole time. But, we always do that! We say, okay, we've got to get SERIOUS! Then we giggle more. lol!

Now, I've got to get a memory card too! ack! I only have one minute's worth of memory on the camera. :(
Don't worry guys, be patient, it'll be coming. :)

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Alrighty then get er done...

Yep no time better than the present...

Get Er Done...

lol

ha ha

I'll have to be sneaky about filming them. They get all self-consicious when they know I'm videoing them. Start giggleing and stuff. tehehe
I do the same thing, lol! I tried to get some good video yesterday, but what I got hubbies got a big chesire cat grin and laughing the whole time. But, we always do that! We say, okay, we've got to get SERIOUS! Then we giggle more. lol!

Now, I've got to get a memory card too! ack! I only have one minute's worth of memory on the camera. :(
Don't worry guys, be patient, it'll be coming. :)

Eru Ilúvatar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey Si-Je, I was just wondering if there was/will be a fight? Are you even still considering it, or have you abandoned the idea?

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The promoter is getting some guff from the state of Texas, but he says he's still planning to hold the "show" in May. It'll be on military base so that should help him go around whatever the issue is with the state.
So, May hopefully.
He tells me it should be broadcasted on the Military channel and that their be other promoters and guest professional fighters there too.
I hope he's going to hold true to paying our way down there, I think he will, seems to be a straight up guy.
We still have to register Hubbie and his school with TAMMA and that's pretty costly and get his medical.
Since his med. insurance has kicked in we should be able to do it soon.
Yes, we're still planning on doing the fight. We haven't forgotten. :)
Too bad it doesn't pay anything, but at least it's a chance to get a foot in the door for him.
And to get video of WT/WC used in the cage against a MMA/grappler. Since everyone thinks it just cannot be done. lol! I've very excited about it and getting impatient. :) Will let you all know when we've got video on the fight win or lose. Fair is fair. It's his first cage fight and I'm not sure how he'll do with all the "ruckass" that comes with purse fighting.
He's an old football player and digs the crowd, so he'll probably do just fine. ;)

koenig

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
oh i guess i can't read late at night. i thought it said november.

Sorry! I'll bump the thread again in May :p

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good luck to your hubby Si-je, for you guys and Wing Chun. :)

Thanks guys :) It was going to be in November but that promoter was a sneak and we didn't like him.
This guy in May should be better. I just hope we can get his medical and registration done by then. It's getting close to the wire.

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys :) It was going to be in November but that promoter was a sneak and we didn't like him.
This guy in May should be better. I just hope we can get his medical and registration done by then. It's getting close to the wire.

Yeah, May sounds a long way off, but I reckon there's a lot to get done. Hopefully it'll go right with this promoter. If not, maybe you could consider going into it yourself? :)

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, May sounds a long way off, but I reckon there's a lot to get done. Hopefully it'll go right with this promoter. If not, maybe you could consider going into it yourself? :)

Who? me? nah...
What I've found to be difficult is just getting onto a fight card and finding a promoter. Many want you to have a "fight resume" and 10 fights under your belt. all that you've done for free of course. That's been really tickin' me off. I don't think any fighter should fight for free, there is just too much risk involved and time and money in training. (our grocery bill is getting high. like feeding a football player! lol!)

This is what TAMMA wants:
1. $75 registration fee. (to register with the state is only $20 bucks)
2. we have to register hubbie's school for $175
3. a extensive medical exam with EKG due to his age That'll be around $200
4. a month with him working out with a personal trainer, fight trainer, or school/team. All translating to a potiential of hundreds of dollars. They really want him to train for a month (at least) with a registered MMA school. That's about $175 a month.

All this has to be done a month before the fight.

So, hubbie is getting his certification for personal trainer and is starting a new job working at a gym this week.
I'll send in registration monies to TAMMA for his school, himself, and a copy of his personal trainer certification as a hopeful equilivant to him training at an overpriced MMA gym.
Just in time did he get this second job. We may be able to pull it off in time. :)

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll send in registration monies to TAMMA for his school, himself, and a copy of his personal trainer certification as a hopeful equilivant to him training at an overpriced MMA gym.
Just in time did he get this second job. We may be able to pull it off in time.

when i first read that i thought they were just squeezing money out of you. but it may just to make sure your hubby understands the rules & all. they couldn't have him breaking necks or knees or anything once he got in there.

jf

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
America seems to be really tight with the fight promotions

I do a lot of knockdown karate tournaments and all you need for that is
Doctor to sign you fit and healthy to compete
AMA insurance

And then off you go!

And these tournaments are bare knuckle!!

You need to find some like minded martial artists, film you sparring/fighting with them and then send it to promoters

If its good, you'll get sorted out

Latest Discussions