Getting spread too thin...

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
On another thread, an old acquaintance and I traded a few barbs, then privately contacted each other and ended up having a really positive exchange. In the course of our discussions he recommended that I take a seminar being offered in my area by Samuel Kwok. The price is reasonable... but in the current economy my finances are stretched (I just paid out an unexpected $1,100 dollars for car repairs yesterday) and I realized that if I attend this seminar, I will have to take the money away from another seminar with Jeff Webb in November. It would be great to work with a master from a different branch of WC, but at this point, I really need to refine the material I'm studying now.

So what do you do? Take the new seminar and get a taste of something different, or invest in polishing your skills with the instructor you've already chosen and whose skills are exemplary?

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

It depends on your level right now. If you need more training on what you have, then go to your instructor.

If you feel the need to explore and get new perspectives, then do to the other seminar.

Both activities are important for skill development and growth. The thing is to know which phase you're in right now.

I would work to go to both, yet I know what it means to be in an economic bind.

By your language in writing the post, I think you'd rather go to your instructor. and that is quite ok.

Sincerely,

Juan M. Mercado

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hey mate
easy one for me as a rank beginner i would go for my original choice as i feel i know NOT nearly enough of what my master has to offer.

if this were a work option my decision would completely depend on which offers me more bang for buck-who would i benefit more from?
know the feeling about car expenses :shooter:
matsu

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Personally go with the other Sifu. Being part of that federation there will always be seminars with your Master. But the other Sifu may only hold a one off seminar

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Geezer,

I'm kind of a company man in that regard, I would be more prone to go to the Jeff Webb seminar. I know you've been around since the old days ( I was thumbing through my old Dynamic Wing Tsun book last night by the way) and it certainly wouldn't confuse you to see another angle on our system, but I'm a strong beleiver in what we do.
I know we don't have the monopoly on good "wing chun" but if it ain't broke why fix it?

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Geezer wrote:
“On another thread, an old acquaintance and I traded a few barbs, then privately contacted each other and ended up having a really positive exchange. In the course of our discussions he recommended that I take a seminar being offered in my area by Samuel Kwok. The price is reasonable... but in the current economy my finances are stretched (I just paid out an unexpected $1,100 dollars for car repairs yesterday) and I realized that if I attend this seminar, I will have to take the money away from another seminar with Jeff Webb in November. It would be great to work with a master from a different branch of WC, but at this point, I really need to refine the material I'm studying now.

So what do you do? Take the new seminar and get a taste of something different, or invest in polishing your skills with the instructor you've already chosen and whose skills are exemplary?”

Geezer, if you take the financials out of the equation does it simplify you question. I.E. if you could easily afford both would you go to both? If so then sir, it sounds like the car is repaired so maybe get a job delivering pizza for a month or so. Sell something on Ebay or have a garage sale and make a few extra dollars. You need to replace the $1100.00 car expense anyway and can make a few extra bucks to apply to seminars.

I do not study CMA (although I have been to many different CMA seminars and have tasted around LOL) I know that politics and lineages and all that stuff might also weigh in to your decision. The politics and such aside in my opinion it is almost always great for people to not only get a taste of a different art but it also allows them with the proper perspective to get an opportunity to see their own art through new eyes. That your old acquaintance recommended the instructor is a plus; will your old acquaintance be training there as well? If so a great chance to rebuild or build a friendship with them and if not it will give you something to converse with them over and build a bridge of better understanding, neither is wasted effort again in my opinion.

Interesting topic thanks for posting it
Good luck
Warmest Regards
Brian King

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Geezer, you are a hero,I know where you have been,I know your linneage.My Honest opinion,stick with Sifu Jeff Webb,I could only wish I had your choices.He is one of my personal favorites and I haven't even met the man.I recognize the quality of instruction when I see It,Coming out of the Sifu Steve Brandon,GM Leung Ting linneage.This is the shizznit!Coming from the guy who has spent his life peering through the fence......wishing and waiting....an expert...
at perfecting what he posesses....breathe Wing Tsun....