Wing Chun competing in Cage

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We're getting WC in the cage next month. San Shau rules, and this is a preliminary fight so the promoter can see what hubbie's got. But, the cage nevertheless.

May the Chi be with him! lol!
He's going to fight a younger, "more expeienced cage fighter", and a grappler to boot. Can't wait! Will try to get video and post in Novemeber.
This is for all the WC'ers, and for Hubbies fun too.
Peace.

Eru Ilúvatar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thats great! Can't wait to hear how it turns out. I would just like to ask, does he have any other experience except WC/will he train in other arts too for the cage or does he feel he has everything he needs in WC? Anyway, good luck to your hubbie and respect to him!

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He's got rank in Kempo Karate, and Judo. But, he's trained WC for over 10 years, so's he's pretty much using 100% Wing Chun in the ring.
And thanks for the good wishes!

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Blessings and luck to your hubby Si-je! Any chance of getting video of the fight up?

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I hope so! We've got a buddie that's going to the fight and he's gonna bring his camcorder. I'll keep asking around for folks that have one to borrow. The more video the merrier! ;)

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Eru Ilúvatar;1051861 said:
Thats great! Can't wait to hear how it turns out. I would just like to ask, does he have any other experience except WC/will he train in other arts too for the cage or does he feel he has everything he needs in WC? Anyway, good luck to your hubbie and respect to him!

He won't train anything else for the cage. Just have to wrap his head around the rules inside the ring.
He's got all the skills and tools he needs for the ring with Wing Chun.

No punches to the back or top of the head. Butt,... you can elbow! (go figure) and slam your forearm on the back of their neck when they shoot in for a takedown. That's plenty good. ;) Allowing head control.

no kicking or kneeing them while their down on the ground and your standing. Fair enough.

no eye gouging (he doesn't rely on that at all anyway. That's more like on of my moves. lol!) But, you can still use bui gee in other handy ways.

No chopping to the throat. fair enough, that's just mean.
No groin strikes, again fair. but inside the thiegh is legal.

I'm going to have to talk to the promoter again to double check all the rules. He says it's San Shau rules in a cage. Takedowns okay, just no ground fighting. :(
Was hoping to have a fight where that was allowed. But, I guess it's okay since it's his first fight. One thing at a time.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would love to come see him when where and I will be there cheering him on.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He won't train anything else for the cage. Just have to wrap his head around the rules inside the ring.
He's got all the skills and tools he needs for the ring with Wing Chun.

No punches to the back or top of the head. Butt,... you can elbow! (go figure) and slam your forearm on the back of their neck when they shoot in for a takedown. That's plenty good. ;) Allowing head control.

no kicking or kneeing them while their down on the ground and your standing. Fair enough.

no eye gouging (he doesn't rely on that at all anyway. That's more like on of my moves. lol!) But, you can still use bui gee in other handy ways.

No chopping to the throat. fair enough, that's just mean.
No groin strikes, again fair. but inside the thiegh is legal.

I'm going to have to talk to the promoter again to double check all the rules. He says it's San Shau rules in a cage. Takedowns okay, just no ground fighting. :(
Was hoping to have a fight where that was allowed. But, I guess it's okay since it's his first fight. One thing at a time.
No groundfighting? What is the point in that?
I thought the whole point of this wing chun in the cage was to prove it worked against anything.

Journeyman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, it'll be a test of Wing Chun take-down defense, at least. I think the Wing Chunner deserves props for being willing to step into the ring or cage even if it's not a full-out MMA contest.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw a fight like that a few months ago. The traditional WCer got a nasty surprise when he took a straight jab to the face from a PFS guy. They used san shou rules as well. The PFS guy had some really good Judo-like takedowns. I don't think the WCer had any experience with that. However, the WCer got in the PFS guy's standing guard a lot and tried to dirty box (which is the only way to box IMO) but couldn't dominate a true clinch. Tell your hubby to watch out, and respect long-range kicks, as well as hard body shots.

This will be interesting. Please send video.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, it'll be a test of Wing Chun take-down defense, at least. I think the Wing Chunner deserves props for being willing to step into the ring or cage even if it's not a full-out MMA contest.

The point is that we don't need a takedown defence demonstration. When you have an opponent coming at you who you can see and know is trying to take you down, keeping your feet is easy. I see it every day. In my class I do a last man standing match at the end where all the students 'fight each other' with the rules being if you touch a wall you are out, if you are submitted you are out. No strikes are allowed - it is just a bit of fun at the end of the class. People always try takedowns and people pretty much always keep their feet!! You will find that in most arts. Yet when you are in a nightclub and a fight occurs and you have tables, people, obstacles to fall over, you are very likely to go to the ground

Plus you don't really see the takedown coming in that kind of environment

Therefore the whole thing seems a bit pointless

I hate people who talk about getting in the cage and then you realise that they are basically only allowed to wrestle or kickbox

I don't mind if the thing had been billed as a bit of fun in a cage

I've been in a cage three times. I don't expect applause for that
I'm doing a knockdown tournament next Sunday, but it is really a bit of fun and not a test of how good wing chun is or how good a fighter I am

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score

if he is trained in judo as she says, it's not really going to prove anything for WC takedown defense.

jf

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Patience folks. This is just the first fight, one we could get in our area.
His opponent is a MMA and grappling stylist, so that should be interesting enough.
After this fight we'll be able to see what is next. I'm working on getting another fight for him in May, and that one should be all out MMA cage match.

As for the Judo, he won't have much use for it in the ring. It's really hard to judo throw a tori when they're clutching you like a cat like these clinching grappler and BJJ guys tend to do. lol!
The WC will be much more handy.

As for "dirty boxing" he'll keep it clean enough. He may have to hook punch the ears and side of the head while being clinched against the fence (not sure if that will even happen) or when the grappler shoots into his knees for a takedown. And that's only because he can't just chain punch the back of the head and neck like we train to do normally.

Either way, it's going to be fun to watch!

We're still working on getting a full on MMA cage match for him hopefully soon. I'm working on one in May. We'll see if we can get one sooner.

Last edited:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
The point is that we don't need a takedown defence demonstration. When you have an opponent coming at you who you can see and know is trying to take you down, keeping your feet is easy. I see it every day. In my class I do a last man standing match at the end where all the students 'fight each other' with the rules being if you touch a wall you are out, if you are submitted you are out. No strikes are allowed - it is just a bit of fun at the end of the class. People always try takedowns and people pretty much always keep their feet!! You will find that in most arts. Yet when you are in a nightclub and a fight occurs and you have tables, people, obstacles to fall over, you are very likely to go to the ground

Plus you don't really see the takedown coming in that kind of environment

Therefore the whole thing seems a bit pointless

I hate people who talk about getting in the cage and then you realise that they are basically only allowed to wrestle or kickbox

I don't mind if the thing had been billed as a bit of fun in a cage

I've been in a cage three times. I don't expect applause for that
I'm doing a knockdown tournament next Sunday, but it is really a bit of fun and not a test of how good wing chun is or how good a fighter I am

I agree that a takedown without using set up strikes is easy to see and counter, but if you tie up the person's attention (just like any technique) it is harder to defend.

Plus, she was very explicit that this was a FIRST fight and is a preliminary fight at the event. She also spelled out that it is SanShou rules. Every type of contest will have a rule set that supports what it is trying to accomplish, that is the point. SanShou rules supports both fighters striking and throwing down their opponent.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Si-je, answer your Pm asap please! need some more details!!
When in Nov is fight?

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it's the 15th. Still have to get ahold of the promoter for more details. he's a hard dude to get in touch with.
Will find out for sure this week.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's the 15th. Still have to get ahold of the promoter for more details. he's a hard dude to get in touch with.
Will find out for sure this week.

Thank you! :)

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Patience folks. This is just the first fight, one we could get in our area.
His opponent is a MMA and grappling stylist, so that should be interesting enough.
Not really - the MMA guy is limited by the rules (ie no floorwork)
Its like saying 'I've got a cage fight against a wing chun guy, but there are no strikes allowed'
I'm not taking anything away from your husbands guts to get into a cage or to fight a good fighter, but what I don't like is when you are stating that it will show off 'pure wing chun' against an MMA fighter, when you have taken away the MMA guy's fundamental ability to grapple

After this fight we'll be able to see what is next. I'm working on getting another fight for him in May, and that one should be all out MMA cage match.
That will be more like it. We want to see 'pure' wing chun against MMA'ers to demonstrate what you have been saying all along

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really - the MMA guy is limited by the rules (ie no floorwork)
Its like saying 'I've got a cage fight against a wing chun guy, but there are no strikes allowed'
I'm not taking anything away from your husbands guts to get into a cage or to fight a good fighter, but what I don't like is when you are stating that it will show off 'pure wing chun' against an MMA fighter, when you have taken away the MMA guy's fundamental ability to grapple

That will be more like it. We want to see 'pure' wing chun against MMA'ers to demonstrate what you have been saying all along

There could be a problem if the opponent's primary art is a striking one! If he's fighting in a CMA rules comp it could be his primary art is also Wing Chun? I think it's always a good idea whatever style you are fighting even against someone your own style to check out your opponents strengths and weaknesses. It's a competition after all not a street fight so knowing as much as you can and working out tactics is always a good idea. it will also make for a more entertaining match which is also what promoters are looking for, good fighters are values but good entertaining fighters are priceless. A little bit of showmanship will go down well. I don't mean wrestling style lol but something that makes your fighter stand out and get people supporting him, if the crowd is behind him and people remember the fight for all the right reasons you will get future fights easier.

Latest Discussions