Why not just make your own Martial Art?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm...

I'll create Bimdo. Judo so easy, even Bimbos can do it.

Bimdo.

That's my martial art. It'll make me so rich that Amy Lee will fall inlove with me...

Ahhhh... Amy Lee... So pretty...

This is the main reason that I haven't created my own art. It's a well known fact that being the founder of a martial arts style causes beautiful rock stars to fall in love with you. Since I'm happily married, this would cause unwanted complications in my life.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hmm..given then fact that there are numerous arts out there, why make up something new? Status? So people can be impressed? To give one self a fancy title? But hey, to each their own I guess. Personally, it's not something that I'd do, but that's me.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think when the best new systems are created it's because a need exists to have them. For example a very skilled martial artist in an existing system or perhaps several systems discovers a hole in his defense, perhaps combat on the ground (just as an example). Most will simply seek a good ground system such as wrestling or BJJ. With the advent of the information age it's pretty easy to find existing systems that fit the need handily. But back in the day it was harder. Such a person might find themselves needing something new to cope with something unexpected. They might ask around their local community and come up empty handed. Even a trip to the library would not help them. Thus they work with what they have, possibly taking some existing skill set and modifying it to suit the need. In time with enough evolution and modification they find that what they are doing isn't what they were taught anymore in their former systems but is in fact something new, at least to them. Then it makes sense to call this new thing by a new name and thus a new system is borne.

However slapping a bunch of known techniques together and putting a shiny new name on it and calling yourself the founder is just.... well lame. Nobody wants to train with the lame dude.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Every Martial Art practiced today, was, at one point, made up or put together by somebody, no?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every Martial Art practiced today, was, at one point, made up or put together by somebody, no?

Apart from BJJ, that was given to us on tablets of stone as it's the ultimate art, never to be mocked and always to be worshipped.

( I am joking by the way but if I read one more post about BJJ being the 'best eva' and 'if a style isn't 'seen' in MMA it doesn't work' on MT I may well throw up)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I alluded to this earlier, but have a few minutes to add a little more. The quality of the 'new' style and the value it adds to the world of Martial Arts is not the salient issue here. I mean, I presume if you are considering putting your own art out there, you think you're pretty good and that you are adding value. So, that isn't really the reason why or why not. As with restaurants and most other small businesses, failure is seldom related to the quality of the product. It's every other part of the business that kills it from accounting to payroll to marketing.

The question on the table here is, "why not?" The answer is risk vs reward. If you are working within a system, you are protected somewhat by the reputation of the system. In BJJ, for example, there are good, better and best schools to attend. Some are excellent. Some are not. But the reputation of the ART of BJJ is pretty good overall. So, as a new black belt, if you decide to put out your shingle, you're likely to get some people walking in the door just because they know and respect the style. You don't get this if you are inventing your own style.

This can be taken even further, if you affiliate with an organization within the style. In addition to the name recognition of the style itself, let's say this new BJJ Black Belt is a Gracie Barra guy and he's opening up an affiliate school. Now you have the reputation of the style as well as the reputation, resources and structure of the organization. Everything from the curriculum to the marketing to the web site design are taken care of. You become a part of something larger than yourself. You benefit from an association with every other GB Black Belt as well as the history and the success. Instant credibility. You pay some amount of money to the affiliation and in return you get a large amount of security. There is much, much less risk.

So, the question is, "Why not just make your own martial art?" The answer is that you can do it, but do so knowing that there is no safety net. You are assuming all of the risk. You may reap the reward. You have to build your own credibility. You have to market your product. You have to address every single aspect of your business. AND you have to develop the style and find time to train. You stand to make more money, if you're that unique combination of martial artist and entrepeneur. The odds are against you.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Apart from BJJ, that was given to us on tablets of stone as it's the ultimate art, never to be mocked and always to be worshipped.

( I am joking by the way but if I read one more post about BJJ being the 'best eva' and 'if a style isn't 'seen' in MMA it doesn't work' on MT I may well throw up)
Your words say you're sick of it, but your actions say otherwise. Easiest way to stop that is to stop encouraging it by contributing to it. Just saying.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If your going to do it go to one of the many Soke organizations :vomit: usualy called " XYZ Hall of Fame" and get your sokeship papers that way people will know your new organization is legit. :rolleyes:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should probably add I do actually train BJJ as well but consider Nike Do a sublime art. :angelic:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have stated this before in other threads in the past but it goes well with this thread.
I had a friend years ago that was once a member of a world wide organization and had his 3rd degree in that system. He became disillusioned with the amounts being charged for testing and a few other things so he left the organization. When his son was old enough and wanted to learn this man taught his son for a number of years and eventually tested the young man for black belt. He did test the young man in front of a group of black belts from various styles.
No longer belonging to the larger original organization he did not want to put their name on the certificate so he called what he had taught and tested the young man in "MYOWNDO". He told the young man that when he was older and went somewhere else to study he would have to test again in whatever system he choose but that he now had a good base from which to continue his training.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There seems to be an assumption that it's about business and money and fame and reputation. But it might not be. Might simply be a unique approach to training that seems to work very well for someone. And maybe he just decides to teach his kids and nephews and nieces and grandkids, and maybe a few neighbors or close friends, and it may or may not grow from there. But the motivation was only ever about his own personal approach, and never charged anyone for teaching, and never cared about advertising or building a reputation or building an empire.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There seems to be an assumption that it's about business and money and fame and reputation. But it might not be. Might simply be a unique approach to training that seems to work very well for someone. And maybe he just decides to teach his kids and nephews and nieces and grandkids, and maybe a few neighbors or close friends, and it may or may not grow from there. But the motivation was only ever about his own personal approach, and never charged anyone for teaching, and never cared about advertising or building a reputation or building an empire.
The op mentioned money. It might not be about money for everyone, but I gather from the context of the thread that in this case, that's the point. :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The op mentioned money. It might not be about money for everyone, but I gather from the context of the thread that in this case, that's the point. :)
That's true, he did. I had forgotten that, honestly. Still,I think there can be other motivations for it that are decidedly NOT about money. It makes me a little sad to think that some people might choose to only do anything if there will be a financial payoff in the end. I feel some things are worth doing simply for the love of doing them. For me, martial arts is one of those those things. Meh, to easy his own.