Assistant Instructors

danielle

White Belt
Reaction score
Do schools like assistant instructors? They're the instructors who don't work for pay, but come in when it's convenient for them? The instructors who've been training/assisting for the last 10 years? It seems like many schools want the instructor to work at the school or open a sister school.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, that really depends on the school. I feel like most places are going to happy for free help.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what exactly you are asking. As WaterGal noted, different schools have different approaches.

My gym has 35+ classes scheduled per week. Most of them are taught by guys like me. I don't get paid, but I teach two classes per week in exchange for my own instruction and gym time.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why wouldn't they? If you have 20 or more students in a class you need assistant instructors, especially when you have new students coming through the door and you want to give them some personal attention without neglecting the rest of the class.If you are part of an organization you would want experienced instructors to open their own classes, that's how a school grows.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Tony, I teach for free. In my case, I teach four 1 hour classes per week in exchange for my own training. I'm not actually under any formal obligation. It's just an agreement that I'll help with instructing in exchange for my own training. The head instructor is generally there and I assist, but I do cover for him if he can't make it for some reason.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do schools like assistant instructors? They're the instructors who don't work for pay, but come in when it's convenient for them? The instructors who've been training/assisting for the last 10 years? It seems like many schools want the instructor to work at the school or open a sister school.
Assistant instructors not only help, but lean a lot from the experience. You really don't know something unless you can simply explain it to someone else. :)

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I learned "how to teach" as an assistant before becoming a paid instructor running a club. At my current dojang in Korea we have several instructors teaching at two locations throughout the week, all paid staff members.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I teach a very small group, and I still have an assistant instructor. It's very helpful to have another instructor in the room who can take a student or small group aside and give them quality instruction when I'm occupied with the rest of the class. And, of course if I ever have a schedule conflict and have to miss a class, I can trust him to cover for me.

And, no I don't pay him. I do charge him less and give him personalized instruction. That is, in my mind a good deal for both of us. When I came back to the martial arts after a prolonged "lay-off" I worked as an unpaid assistant for years and, frankly, I preferred it to being the head teacher. I only started my own group as a favor to help our association ...and then got stuck with the job permanently when the instructor I had previously been assisting moved out of state.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I instruct a small group also but all of my students, from 2nd year student to black belts, take over the training of the class at some point. They learn from the experience and I get a better idea of how deep their knowledge is by how they instruct. 2nd yer people may only go through blocks or kicks with the class or the first form but I want them to be able to see mistakes and correct those mistakes.
Do I require them to do it, NO, they have the right to say NO, but they may not learn much more themselves unless they can give my a damn good reason for refusing to train someone else and pass on their knowledge.
As for them coming in when it is convenient for them, well , I kind of expect them to be in class because they are all students and are expected to know what is covered in class.
As for a ten year person, well I would like them to go out and start a school somewhere to help the system grow but if they work and live in town I can understand why they might want to stay at my school and help out .

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do schools like assistant instructors?
Yes.
They're the instructors who don't work for pay, but come in when it's convenient for them?
They come in when asked to. There's not a lot of respect in dojos for "convenience."

The instructors who've been training/assisting for the last 10 years?
I don't understand this part of the question.

It seems like many schools want the instructor to work at the school or open a sister school.
As others have said - it would depend on the school.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My teacher started out as the assistant instructor over time he became the main instructor and changed my life. It's a good thing to encourage others to teach.

Latest Discussions