How do you see your art?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been wondering lately about what is the most healthy way to view your art. Given that staticly people of faith are in general better off than people who don't "believe", I wonder how much of an effect the faith in your art plays in your performance and dedication. I think more often than not, a belief in the art of [name of your style here] leads to slacking because you have arrived at a lofty rank and are in the secret club; why train? However, this belief can also lead to great dedication. If you look at Martial talk objectively, its a sea of people whom all believe more or less that they are in the best art, and objectivly you realize that either only one of them is right or there is no best art, just the experience and training of each individual. That realization is, I think, a maturing process that allows us to focus inward and strive to better understand what we already have instead of seeking newer material. Look at sport Karate, sure those Muay Thai kick boxers dominated Kickboxing for a while, but every one is on to them, and non Muay thai fighters are getting harder and harder to beat. Pretty soon it won't matter; because after all, its the fighters with extrordinary ability that dominate the sport and Muay Thai will be something they have trained to deal with or visa versa. So, my question is, how important are semantics when in reality the only thing you have in a fight is you?
Sean
(sorry its late)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch of Death I do not see my Art of TKD better then anybody elses, I myself started out in Judo and Karate for my father was an instructor in the USMC for 32 years. Then I moved meet Jin Kim in california needed a place to train that was hard core like my father tought through him I learned the Art of TKD not just the sport aspect of it. over the last 23 years it has grown on me it works for me althrough at time I do intergrate some old stuff with it, but I still do not believe the Art makes the fighter the spirit of the fighter makes him better then most other. See in my world right or wrong the inner man is more powerful than the outer man. Wisdom can overcome most stituations in life if you stop to reflect on the whole. I know a little of topic sorry. Anyway its not the Art it the individual that make a great fighter... GOD BLESS AMERICA

S

Shurikan

Yea i dont believe there is one best art either. For example in our system we have some that are real good instructors and some that are not as good. Some instructors turn out real good students and some not as good. Really has nothing to do with what style as much as what the instructor can bring out in the student.

O

OC Kid

I think all arts are about the same. After all a punch is a punch and a kick is a kick. Its up to the individual Instructors to emphasize what they think is the most important/devistating/best self defense techniques. Many systems teach the same thing such as my old system. I went a visited schools that were run by my peers coming up through the ranks. I brought my son with me. he out classed them in just about all areas. Why??? Because I went out and learned different ways of applying those same techniques. So bottom line is there is no great systems only good instructors and students.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
:rtfm:
All of us must understand quite clearly that even the best system is only as effective as the person who represents it. It is not styles that confront each other in a fight, but people.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the art of TKD for what it has given me. But that could be said for any art that you throw your body and soul into. The value of the art is only what you put into it. I've seen what are seemingly unsurmountable goals, one after another. I'm not saying I'm all that successful either, probably in the nearly made it range. But, I had faith in myself and faith that God wanted it to be possible. My instructor did more to discourage than encourage. But, its not about the instructor either. Its about what is deep down inside of you. Maybe it comes from basic survival, when the physical fails, the thinking process takes over. Or when the brain freezes, the body remembers the moves anyway and reacts. I believe we have an innate human ability to overcome adversity. Its not about a fight that probably will never happen that I train for. Its for the joy of feeling alive, all senses, mind, and body working in unison. When it comes down to it, the art is what it can pull out of you, so you can see it in the light and grow. TW

B

bullydog

I feel my first art (Shotokan) was a good start. I've spent twenty two years in various styles of the MA. Everything from traditional Japanese, to sport karate, ground fighting, to Shurite Kempo. I truly feel that all styles are lacking in some ways, and it's up to the practitioner to fill in the gaps by going to other schools, seminars, or where ever you can gain new methods.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
bullydog, welcome to Martial Talk! You'll discover that we are an assorted community of very interesting people, and you'll find a ton of interesting topics and opinions to sift through... it's neverending! Enjoy your stay here, and happy posting!

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Touch O death

In a sense I disagree with the having faith in your art leads to slacking off, or because you reach a high rank and you've learned the secret techniques (or whatever). For me the slacking off of training came with kids, mortage, working OT to pay the bills and such.

The more time I've spent in the MA the more I realize how little I do know and how much is out there to learn and experience. However all of that comes with a cost and I wonder if the cost sometimes exceeds the benefits of gaining the addtional knowledge or experience.

Time at the dojo means time away from the family (kids and wife), time away at weekend seminars means time away from the family, time running a school and a primary job to meet the expenses means time away from the family as well. All of this can lead to stress at home, divorce, problems with the kids later on etc. etc. No to mention the money cost that the extra training has with it.

Many times the martial arts are looked at as a solotairy (individual) endevour but when a family is involved (needing your time) than many times it either takes a back seat or there is problems. If I had my way I would teach and train more but being a husband and a father (and if I want to remain a husband at least) I try and get as much teaching and training on the side as I can.

Mark

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Boar Man said:
Touch O death

In a sense I disagree with the having faith in your art leads to slacking off, or because you reach a high rank and you've learned the secret techniques (or whatever). For me the slacking off of training came with kids, mortage, working OT to pay the bills and such.

The more time I've spent in the MA the more I realize how little I do know and how much is out there to learn and experience. However all of that comes with a cost and I wonder if the cost sometimes exceeds the benefits of gaining the addtional knowledge or experience.

Time at the dojo means time away from the family (kids and wife), time away at weekend seminars means time away from the family, time running a school and a primary job to meet the expenses means time away from the family as well. All of this can lead to stress at home, divorce, problems with the kids later on etc. etc. No to mention the money cost that the extra training has with it.

Many times the martial arts are looked at as a solotairy (individual) endevour but when a family is involved (needing your time) than many times it either takes a back seat or there is problems. If I had my way I would teach and train more but being a husband and a father (and if I want to remain a husband at least) I try and get as much teaching and training on the side as I can.

Mark
Thank you, I was going to mention the soul searching. That family life places on a martial artist, but I felt I was rambling already, and while you make a good point, I wonder about the resentment that might build in a relationship once consessions are made. This is a good topic for a thread unto itself; however, what makes us finaly quit, a mate or our slackerness using our mates whims as an excuse to ease up on training? Either way the end result is the same.
Sean

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OK now how do I see my art.

Early on I took an interest in the self defense aspect of the MA. So I started in a Americanized version of TKD, and sought out instruction through seminars in JKD, Thai Boxing, the filipino martial arts (FMA), and a host of other stuff. But I have finally settled on the FMA as the systems I most teach and practice now.

Mainly what I see now is how techniques from various arts are all interconected, whether they are in the FMA (different drills or techniques but similar roots), karate or TKD, grappling etc. etc. all of these can be found in other systems. The stances in TKD are similar to karate, fencing, kobudo, and the FMA. The grappling in jujitsu is similar to dumog (wrestling/grappling) in the FMA), punches are similar as are the kicks. You just have to open your eyes and your mind to see.

The FMA opened this up to me with weapon work and translating techniques to self defense type items; flash lights, walking sticks, PR24 (tonfa), canes, Raquet Ball raquet, bolos, etc. etc. Then I applied the same idea to tradtional type weapons; sai, jo, bo, etc. etc. I've wanted to try a Three Sectional staff to double stick drills but I haven't got around to getting one yet. :)

With limited time I try and work on drills and things that I can interchange items with so that I drive that point home in my memory. So if I'm ever attacked I will think to use something on my body, or my body (with our without a weapon), or be able to defend myself by being familar with the attacks that can come from a weapon.

Mark

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Thank you, I was going to mention the soul searching. That family life places on a martial artist, but I felt I was rambling already, and while you make a good point, I wonder about the resentment that might build in a relationship once consessions are made. This is a good topic for a thread unto itself; however, what makes us finaly quit, a mate or our slackerness using our mates whims as an excuse to ease up on training? Either way the end result is the same.
Sean

Sean

Not nessecarily, I believe there must be a balance between the two. For instance I have known many people who are martial artists (as well as any other occupation) that sacrifice their family for their art (or primary interest, job, etc. etc.), but also many others who are happy taking time out for the family and going to class once or twice a week. Now they are never going to be on a cover for a magazine, they won't win the olympics, they'll probably be surpassed in rank by others who have less time in the arts then them, but they are happy.

As much as I like the MA, my wife and I had kids late in our marriage, so I got to train pretty hard for several years prior to having a family to bide for my time. Yesterday my oldest son played his first middle school football game, it was great going and watching him play, I had wanted to try and start a class and I was thinking about Monday nights but I decided to put that on hold till we found out when he would play. Well now Monday nights are gone since this is when he plays, but I'm glad to give up that time (teaching or training) to sit and watch him play.

In the end I think you need to have the soft with the hard, the family time (if you have one) with the training time, the hard core training with the softer study otherwise you can become to consumed with it. I train differently now than when I was single or my wife and I didn't have children. Now I take time at work to study and work on my notes of the different systems I studied (at classes or seminars etc. etc.) and then set aside some time during the week to teach and workout on techniques. But I'm not training like I use to.

Mark

B

blackbeltedbeauty

First of all, I thank TKD for starting me in the martial arts and for my flexibility. I realize however that TKD is not complete, just like no art is the final truth. I love tkd's kicks. I love my made up art too, guey lee do, but realize it too is incomplete. I made it for mainly an art and a way to practice weapons beautifully. But, since it it purely weapons, there are no open hand techniques. As for myself, I want it to remain that way. I think that's what styles in martial arts are about: Personal perference.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
blackbeltedbeauty

OK I have to ask, what is " guey lee do"? In your post you describe it as a weapon based system that I guess you made up. (which is fine) But how do you pronouce the name and is there any special meaning to the words.

Mark

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
You must take time for your children. Your martial arts will always be there, but your children will grow up and you will have missed the best time of their lives.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I meant to post on this thread when I first saw it, but I got distracted and forgot about it. I'm glad it got bumped.

My primary art is the Chung Do Kwan style of Tae Kwon Do. I see it as a good art for me, that just might also be a good art for some other people. So far it has given me a strong, technique-oriented base, from which I can continue to grow as a martial artist. It's not the only art I've trained in, and someday it may even take a backseat to another style. But at this point in my life, it's just what I need.

B

blackbeltedbeauty

The Boar Man said:
blackbeltedbeauty

OK I have to ask, what is " guey lee do"? In your post you describe it as a weapon based system that I guess you made up. (which is fine) But how do you pronouce the name and is there any special meaning to the words.

Mark

you pronounce it "guy lee doe". It is Chinese for fabulously beautiful art or way. I called it this because everyone who has seen me do it says it's beautiful. It is like traditional kung fu, very pretty and full of art, not alot of combat except practicing the weapon strikes in the dance. It is alot of fun and is my personal art, which I think everyone has wether they know it or not. I might teach it to someone if they asked, but would have to show them basic moves and strikes of the weapon first. I've also developed a belt system for guey lee do, but it is based on time in the art, not skill. I feel effort should be rewarded. Thanks for your interest Mark. :)

C

Chicago Green Dragon

How do you see your art?

I would say Effective, Gets the Job done.......

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

Latest Discussions