Why not just make your own Martial Art?

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Everybody does it.

Muay Thai is technically Jeet Kune Do.

Boxing is technically Muay Thai.

Judo ground fighting is technically Brazilian Jujutsu.

Etcetera.

Why not do what every other crystallized legend did in order to get rich and famous? They all do it. They study under the tutelage of other masters, and then they tweak it and call it their own.

I myself will make my own grappling art after achieving a respectable level of success in Judo.

I'll then take some Krav Maga lessons and some **** and be like, ZOMG!! Bee Brian Combatives for 100 dollars a month! Learn the secrets of effective streetfighting from a real martial artist!

It's all the same thing. We all end up with the same conclusions. So why not make money with it?

Money or not, it takes years of hard training to get to where we wanna be... So we might as well help stimulate capitalism in the process. Much better than, say, creating a new MMORPG that would cause teenagers to get Ds. We have enough of that in the market.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Everybody does it.

Etcetera.

Why not do what every other crystallized legend did in order to get rich and famous? They all do it. They study under the tutelage of other masters, and then they tweak it and call it their own.

I myself will make my own grappling art after achieving a respectable level of success in Judo.

I'll then take some Krav Maga lessons and some **** and be like, ZOMG!! Bee Brian Combatives for 100 dollars a month! Learn the secrets of effective streetfighting from a real martial artist!

It's all the same thing. We all end up with the same conclusions. So why not make money with it?

Money or not, it takes years of hard training to get to where we wanna be... So we might as well help stimulate capitalism in the process. Much better than, say, creating a new MMORPG that would cause teenagers to get Ds. We have enough of that in the market.

Your analogies are kinda off....Muay Thai correlates better to kickboxing or Sanshou Better than Jeet kun do. Especially when JKD was already a combination art of wing Chun and other arts.

Bjj came from Judo and Jujustu, not really the other way around.

I can't personally think of a martial art that didn't take from at least one other art. This is why I personally don't agree with outright creating yoru own style. A good example is Jason David Frank's Toso Kune Do. He blatantly uses methods from Karate\Tkd\Muay Thai. Its also hurt than its like he chose to take everything. In their handbook (which may still be on his website) theres something like 15 kicks to learn in your first couple belts. Which is insane. Not even to mention that again, hes using the normal methodologies from the other martial arts. So I have an issue with him saying it's a system he created.

It just seems pointless to create and try to market an entirely new system or art qhen most of the time, you aren't doing anything new.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If you have the MA credibility and marketing chops to do it, it could work very well. There's a lot of risk involved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
B

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you have the MA credibility and marketing chops to do it, it could work very well. There's a lot of risk involved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What kind of risks?

We're not publishing a medicine-related article. Government doesn't care about this stuff, ESPECIALLY if the business owner pay heaps and sums for taxes.

OP
B

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I can't personally think of a martial art that didn't take from at least one other art.

So we may as well accept this and ride along the money wave?

As far as I'm concerned, as long as you are teaching people what they need to learn, you're not ripping them off.

Call it whatever, but teach them what they must know.

That's as ethical as it can get.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So we may as well accept this and ride along the money wave?

As far as I'm concerned, as long as you are teaching people what they need to learn, you're not ripping them off.

Call it whatever, but teach them what they must know.

That's as ethical as it can get.

I agree.

If your students are still getting the proper training, call it whatever!

It was just an ethical thing that doesn't sit right with me

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope. Not in terms of history, technique, or principles.

Nope.

More accurate to day that BJJ is judo ground fighting, refined through 90+ years of specialization.

Why not do what every other crystallized legend did in order to get rich and famous?
Yeah, inventing your own system is hardly a reliable path to becoming rich and famous. There are tons of instructors out there teaching Mymadeupart Jutsu who are struggling to pay the dojo bills just as much as any instructor of an established art. Getting rich as a martial arts instructor is rather a long shot, and typically comes down to factors such as marketing, self-promotion, celebrity clients, franchising, good business sense, hard work on the business side of things, and pure luck. Making up your own system might play into the self-promotion aspect of that process, but it's neither necessary nor sufficient.

It's all the same thing. We all end up with the same conclusions.

Have you read the discussions that go on around here? We most definitely do not come to the same conclusions.

Have you actually started training in Judo (or anything else) yet?

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Same reason that everyone who cooks for their family can't open a successful restaurant that is distinct and better than the ones that already exist.

It's not that nobody can, but I think there is a mass delusion that we have Bruce Lee to thank for that anyone can cobble together something on their own that is better than existing alternatives. People who have no real training or expertise claim that all the time and are fairly indignant about suggestions to the contrary. Someone here gave that advice to someone just starting out this week, in fact.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What kind of risks?

We're not publishing a medicine-related article. Government doesn't care about this stuff, ESPECIALLY if the business owner pay heaps and sums for taxes.
Why do people purchase a McDonald's franchise rather than open their own burger joint? Good reasons to do either. But if the question at hand is why not make up your own art, there are plenty of reasons.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Look people do it and get away with it. It depends why you do martial arts i suppose.

not my thing by the way. And it outright enrages some people.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If it is simply a commercial venture I say go for it with all the self-serving enthusiasm your ego will permit and caveat emptor etc etc. Jxx

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No one's going to stop you from doing it....

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everybody does it.

Etcetera.

Umm...no, not exactly.

As for this....well, you are joking right? I mean, this is just a spoof thread, nothing to be taken seriously?

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Plenty of modernized and hybrid arts exist today. Some good and some not so good. If you're going to create an art imo you should be able to provide evidence as to why you are qualified to do so and what makes your system good. If you've never been in a fight and don't have experience applying your craft to real life situations you have no business creating your own system. Of course anyone can make a system with no training whatsoever, and many consumers wouldn't know any better.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I hate saying this but I have seen a person with only one month of training make up his own system and fool enough people that he taught it for about 4 years. He taught it to high school students . Nope none where any good when they finale went off to college or moved somewhere else after graduation and started studying under legit instructors but he sure fooled them while they where in high school.
Yep anyone can make up **** these days and they can get enough off you tube to fake a lot but they do not really have the knowledge of the "WHY" of things

OP
B

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm...

I'll create Bimdo. Judo so easy, even Bimbos can do it.

Bimdo.

That's my martial art. It'll make me so rich that Amy Lee will fall inlove with me...

Ahhhh... Amy Lee... So pretty...

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hmmm...

I'll create Bimdo. Judo so easy, even Bimbos can do it.

Bimdo.

That's my martial art. It'll make me so rich that Amy Lee will fall inlove with me...

Ahhhh... Amy Lee... So pretty...

What will be your catchy marketing strapline to attract the eager waiting world ? Jx