Why no high kicks?????

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Today having a nap afther a good meal I had a bad dream, not a nightmare just a bad dream, I was in dojang giving a class when clasmate aproached me and speaking sothly asked...... Kyosanim why aren't you kicking high? can't you kicking high enough? if not why you do TKD?

I tried to explain the little boy because my age,etc,etc, I can not kick high any longer but that my kicks are good still and blah-blah-blah but the boy didin't get it!! He just keep asking why I do TKD if I can not kick high!!!!

Don't know if some post I read in the karate subforum about low kicks in Okinawan karate influence me a little, what but was very disconforting. I think I am becoming nuts because I am out the dojang.

Manny

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Today having a nap afther a good meal I had a bad dream, not a nightmare just a bad dream, I was in dojang giving a class when clasmate aproached me and speaking sothly asked...... Kyosanim why aren't you kicking high? can't you kicking high enough? if not why you do TKD?

I tried to explain the little boy because my age,etc,etc, I can not kick high any longer but that my kicks are good still and blah-blah-blah but the boy didin't get it!! He just keep asking why I do TKD if I can not kick high!!!!

Don't know if some post I read in the karate subforum about low kicks in Okinawan karate influence me a little, what but was very disconforting. I think I am becoming nuts because I am out the dojang.

Manny
Stay your course! Yes, you are an influance on children, and you will be asked these questions, but don't let a childs love of high kicks influance your path. You are simply learning to fight at closer ranges, and are starting to understand that part of speed learning to use the closest weapon for the closest target, and by simply stepping through with a low front or roundhouse kick, targets will present themselves along the way. By exploring other arts you will find yourself thinking differently about any given situation. However, the presentation of your explorations will bring up a few questions.
Sean

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep, stay your course!

As we get older and lose agility, we (hopefully) gain wisdom: A good solid kick to the middle - or knee - is much more valuable than flash to the head! ;)

l_uk3y

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yep, stay your course!

As we get older and lose agility, we (hopefully) gain wisdom: A good solid kick to the middle - or knee - is much more valuable than flash to the head! ;)

So true. Even though I'm still young at 25. I wish I had the mind I have now for when I went through all my junior sports. Whilst I still wouldn't have made it. I certainly could have been soooo much better through smarter thinking.

Also agree. The question. Do you want it to look good? Or be a high percentage effective shot?

Luke

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In favor of the low kick
Have you ever been kicked hard on the side of the knee or just above it?

How many times have you been kicked in the groin? Not very high but very painful.

In favor of high kick
We are all different in ability, and age is part of that difference. You kick as high as you can to challenge yourself, to test your limits, not because the highest kick is always the best kick. We know it's not.

In favor of kicking until you die
There will always be someone better than you. Your goal is to be YOUR best. To be a master does not mean to be better than everyone else; it means to master yourself through your art. No two real masters would ever be the same, would they? The art is reflected through the artist.

Carl

risingfire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No worries Manny, I am sure you are a great martial artist; high kicks are just one aspect, like low kicks. I would much rather have the opportunity to dodge or block a hit to the head than take a snappy kick to the stomach. Just relax; it will all fall in place.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would tell the young man that you're saving the high kicks for him, you don't want to use them all up. :D

Latest Discussions