high kicks??? forget it

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last TKD class I was alone in the dojang, no students show up so I did a light warm up, hung a heavy bag and did basic kicks, I started easy and with some rithm to warm my legs even more, my basic kicks to the mid section and chest area were not a problem, very powerful, I did front,roundhouse,side and back kicks however when trying to perform high kicks it was not pleasent, the head kicks using hip rotation was very dificult so I stop doing them.

I must confes I felt a little worried because it is suposed for a TKD man to kick high and even do it spining and jumping, the high spining/jumping kicks are a trade mark of taekwondo, but when I finish my heavy bag workout very warm and soaked and then proceded to clean the area and close the dojang, it was a very nice solo session and liked it, you know, without pressure and enjoying kicking the heavy bag.

I have mixed feelings but well..... yes I know 70+ years old grand master like Jhoon Rhee still performs flying,jumping spinining kicks but maybe he is blessed and I am not, I am just a regular guy who likes martial arts, not a super athlete or competitor, just the average guy with a big heart for martial arts and thats all.

So tonight if no student show up will hang the heavy bag and will do the same and will try some turn side kicks and maybe if body allows me some sping hook kicks and see how far I can go.

Manny

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Keep at it manny,
Some of us can move laterally, some vertically and some both. But none of us moves the same. For me it's the other way round. Rounds, hooks, wheel. no problem. Now move to the other axis, ax, crescent, etc. height is a problem.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was having issues with high kicks last night as well. We were doing turning kicks followed up with a hook kick, to the other side of the pad. I absolutely could not connect the hook kick, unless I stepped down in between. We don't practice this combination a lot, but I was successfully doing it a few months ago.

Keep practicing. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. Practice to improve both.

Rick

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jhoon Goo Rhee used to have two signature kicks. A face kick straight on, then he would kick and draw he foot back a little twice. All three times he kicked so hard and fast that his Ghi slapped loudly against his leg. The other was to stand flat footed, then jump up and kick a small padded ball above him with his foot. You have no idea how proud I was the day I first kicked (or perhaps should say nicked) it with a running jump. I understand he is now working out a great deal and demonstrating that people his age can do so. Good on him.

As for you Manny, just as others have said, we aren't all built the same. Some of us can do some things better, other things not as well. Outside kicks were something that I never felt I had the power I should have. Just keep working on it and get to be the best you can, and learn to rely on other kicks you do better. And high kicks are for demonstration anyway. Low kicks have more power and arrive faster. It's OK to be better at them.

EDIT: I meant to add that Jhoon Goo Rhee probably started TKD at a young age.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last TKD class I was alone in the dojang, no students show up so I did a light warm up, hung a heavy bag and did basic kicks, I started easy and with some rithm to warm my legs even more, my basic kicks to the mid section and chest area were not a problem, very powerful, I did front,roundhouse,side and back kicks however when trying to perform high kicks it was not pleasent, the head kicks using hip rotation was very dificult so I stop doing them.

I must confes I felt a little worried because it is suposed for a TKD man to kick high and even do it spining and jumping, the high spining/jumping kicks are a trade mark of taekwondo, but when I finish my heavy bag workout very warm and soaked and then proceded to clean the area and close the dojang, it was a very nice solo session and liked it, you know, without pressure and enjoying kicking the heavy bag.

I have mixed feelings but well..... yes I know 70+ years old grand master like Jhoon Rhee still performs flying,jumping spinining kicks but maybe he is blessed and I am not, I am just a regular guy who likes martial arts, not a super athlete or competitor, just the average guy with a big heart for martial arts and thats all.

So tonight if no student show up will hang the heavy bag and will do the same and will try some turn side kicks and maybe if body allows me some sping hook kicks and see how far I can go.

Manny
I'm with ya man...ny.:)

Lee Ch'a

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I understand the feelings in this thread completely- and very good and encouraging thoughts; of course we all are different and have different strengths, just we sometimes need to be reminded of it. It's frustrating for me sometimes because I hold myself to high standards (that I generally cannot meet, ha) and get too hard on myself.

It's rather difficult and silly to be a 5' 4" female with not very great flexibility and only a few years into a martial art, and still expect oneself to be some kind of lady Bruce Lee. Needless to say, it doesn't work that way. ;)

So thanks to everyone for all the thoughts- I think this is why Martial Arts is so good for me, it is a great challenge, and it takes a lot of work. And that work will pay off. :)

-Lee

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Manny, I think there are two things you should keep in mind as both a student and an instructor: 1) We all have strengths and weaknesses based on our body type. Those of a lighter build base their fight on movement. Those of taller build use their reach advantage. We all try to be the best we can at everything, but our bodies are more suited to certain things than others. It's good to be well-rounded, but also good to be honest about your own body's strengths 2) Different ages bring different challenges and strengths for the body as well. The middle aged body needs some patience to perform its best. Focusing on smooth technique rather than trying to force things causes me less muscle and joint pain. My mind is more experienced than the young ones. I rely more on timing and footwork than technique speed. Instead of thinking that a Taekwondoin "should be able to"..., it might be better to think of just improving from where your are now. You mentioned high kicks as a goal. So you might work on kicking higher, but you might also work on kicking with more speed where you do now. You might work more on the kicks you can send the highest, or on the ones that are your lowest. You might work on combinations that go low-to-high so you bring opponent's hands down and only need to kick to the throat. Just keep improving and stay healthy. I think that's the real "secret".

Latest Discussions