Multi Sparring Class

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Today was multi sparring class for the Black Belts. It was pretty fun and I even joined in with the youngsters (18+).

We did 2 vs. 2 as a warm up. Then it was 3 vs. 2 and then 3 vs. 1. We did only 60 sec intervals with 15 second rest. Does not seem like much but when you get to 3 on 1 you find out quickly how difficult it would be to fend off an attack with just 3 people.

You get clocked from behind, then when you turn to defend against that one you get clocked again from both behind and right in front of you. After about 20 seconds you are dead tired from just running to get space that you end up just standing in a corner and taking a beating. Even the young ones got tired and did not know what to do.

The only good point was that I did manage to hit one person in the head and he staggered but that did not last long as the other two were on me quick, then the staggered guy got his faculties back and then joined right back in.

For those that think that they can fend off a serious attack from multiple people you better have your Nike's on. Cause running is the best thing.

My daughter did better than me as she axe kicked one person right on the nose right off the bat and then only had a 2 on 1 situation from there out.

My son is just fast and had great footwork as he was able to move about and make the others run into and hit each other as he also popped them as he moved about. But in the end even he got tired and got tagged quite a bit.

Even if you attempt to wrestle you get pummeled as you can only wrestle one and even that gets you dog tired.

It has been a long time since I participated in many on 1 but it was still fun, even at my ripe age.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like fun, I do like sparring 2 on 1 and 3 on1 but havent done it in a little while. One time at black belt class all the students stood around in a circle and on the instructor's command we all had to run in and basically brawl. The idea was that no one was on your side so it was you vs everyone. It was hectic and you sure had to watch your back.

l_uk3y

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like fun, I do like sparring 2 on 1 and 3 on1 but havent done it in a little while. One time at black belt class all the students stood around in a circle and on the instructor's command we all had to run in and basically brawl. The idea was that no one was on your side so it was you vs everyone. It was hectic and you sure had to watch your back.

Hmm. That sounds like a recipe for a nasty accident of some description. I imagine it would be good fun though.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm. That sounds like a recipe for a nasty accident of some description. I imagine it would be good fun though.
It is a lot of fun but there are times that common sense must prevail or it would just be people get knocked out all over the place. Its done more as an awareness drill, learning to throw kicks and punches while trying to stay aware of everything thats going on around you.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a book called "what the Masters Know" which outlines positional strategies for multiple opponents.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
ATC, would you please share what rules you used. My limited experience with this is that using WTF rules negates much effective technique that would even the numbers--sweeps, hand and elbow techniques, knee blocks, hand techniques to the head, etc. I recognize the real safety issues, so I'm curious how you guys handled it. It is an exhausting but enjoyable activity. I agree on how it humbles you enough to appreciate Nike Fu.

There are some video and print resources on multiple opponent situations if you look. It does make you appreciate the importance of awareness and agility/footwork.

Carl

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a book called "what the Masters Know" which outlines positional strategies for multiple opponents.
Yeah we are taught how to position for 2 or more people but that only works for so long, and if you can't incapasitate your opponents quickly, it is like a ticking time bomb until you tire out. And it is not that long before you do.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes we do that with the little ones. We don't do it so much with the 18 and up as they tend to get a little out of hand and someone can get hurt. The last time we let the adults do it someone did a flying side kick to someones back and they when flying into the mirror. Not good.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
ATC, would you please share what rules you used. My limited experience with this is that using WTF rules negates much effective technique that would even the numbers--sweeps, hand and elbow techniques, knee blocks, hand techniques to the head, etc. I recognize the real safety issues, so I'm curious how you guys handled it. It is an exhausting but enjoyable activity. I agree on how it humbles you enough to appreciate Nike Fu.

There are some video and print resources on multiple opponent situations if you look. It does make you appreciate the importance of awareness and agility/footwork.

Carl
for warm up 2 on 2 we use WTF rules. Even 3 on 2 was the same. But once you get to 3 on 1 you can use whatever you like. Using whatever you like sounds easy but it is not. The attackers just don't come into your range, they are not dumb. They usually let one person try an engage you then when you divert your attention to that one they blind side you. Even if you try to position yourself as if fighting in a line (attackers behind each other) it is only for a very short moment as they keep moving and so do you. Problem is that you will be engaged by one at some point and you cannot keep track of everyone while engaged.

Don't trip and fall or you are toast. You will get you hits in but you take way many more. Even while standing. For every one you dish out you take 3 or 4. Then when you are exhausted you just cover up until you hear, SHIGON!

Really fun but also an eye opener.

But keep in mind. This is against fellow students not average joes on the street so you may fair better with non conditioned non trained thugs but I would not count on it. 3 on 1 is pretty brutal. And you fellow class mates are not trying to hurt you also. So keep that in mind.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
for warm up 2 on 2 we use WTF rules. Even 3 on 2 was the same. But once you get to 3 on 1 you can use whatever you like. Using whatever you like sounds easy but it is not. The attackers just don't come into your range, they are not dumb. They usually let one person try an engage you then when you divert your attention to that one they blind side you. Even if you try to position yourself as if fighting in a line (attackers behind each other) it is only for a very short moment as they keep moving and so do you. Problem is that you will be engaged by one at some point and you cannot keep track of everyone while engaged.

Don't trip and fall or you are toast. You will get you hits in but you take way many more. Even while standing. For every one you dish out you take 3 or 4. Then when you are exhausted you just cover up until you hear, SHIGON!

Really fun but also an eye opener.

But keep in mind. This is against fellow students not average joes on the street so you may fair better with non conditioned non trained thugs but I would not count on it. 3 on 1 is pretty brutal. And you fellow class mates are not trying to hurt you also. So keep that in mind.

It's a fun drill and I use it myself. How the rules of the drill actually run should depend on the purpose or goal you are trying to accomplish. For 'self-defense' purposes, you (figuratively) should have all the attackers come at the defender at the same time with some armed with clubs or rubber knives. In other words, try to have the attacks simulate what you might face in a true mass attack, since it's unlikely to be a group of world class taekwondoists assaulting you.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a fun drill and I use it myself. How the rules of the drill actually run should depend on the purpose or goal you are trying to accomplish. For 'self-defense' purposes, you (figuratively) should have all the attackers come at the defender at the same time with some armed with clubs or rubber knives. In other words, try to have the attacks simulate what you might face in a true mass attack, since it's unlikely to be a group of world class taekwondoists assaulting you.
I agree.

Latest Discussions