What hapens when TKD does not resemble TKD

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I saw a really old black, and white video somewhere, of Taekwondo being demonstrated. And they were using a lot of punches. And even though some of them were doing high kicks, none of them were doing any fancy, twirling kicks. Given that, I don't think you're to far removed from your art.
Sounds like the taekwondo that I grew up with.

Daniel

chungdokwan123

Orange Belt
Reaction score
.......I no longer can kick that level of high with that proficency.

Dude.......I never could!!!!

What's next? I can't do fancy kicks and sometimes I get sad about it cause sometimes I fell I can show up as a TKDing cause my TKD apears so poor about kicking techs.

Manny.......I'll give you this yet again. I'm a forty-five year old 8th Gup.....soon to test again. I watch the kids do what they do.....I ***** to myself that I will never be able to do what they do......and then I do what I myself CAN do. In the end, I love working with the kids......associating with the parents.....and learning all that I can. I'm having the time of my life. I've constructed some really cool belt racks for those testing for 1st Dan as a special gift from me.......just 'cause I want to. I'm participating in demonstrations with them.......I'm even going to go and get my old *** knocked around in the upcoming tournament season with them.

My goal is to become an instructor some day if the body holds out. I don't know if it will happen, but I'm staying with it.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny, This statement by Daniel was exactly what I was thinking (more or less) when I first read your post, and I also tell my students.......do what techniques you can... the best you can and the rest will take care of itself.

You and I and many others on this board are TEACHERS! that is more important than worrying about how high you can kick. We have an obligation (Giri in Japanese) to impart our knowledge to our students so the arts do not die (no matter what art it may be) and to help people get through life.

Do you think that your students like you because you can kick high? or punch fast?

No.......

I do not think so.

The reason is that you show a true love for the art you practice and teach, as well as, a true concern and care for the students in learning what you teach.

I started Ju-Jitsu when I was 18 and now I'm 46 and have been teaching for 20+ years. There were questions I had to ask myself at a certain point:

Are my throws, locks and goundwork as fast as they were?...Nope.

Are my kicks and punches as fast and as high as they were?....nope.

Am I as limber as I was?.....nope.

On the other hand......

Can I execute the tecniques properly and more precisely and get the most out of the tecniques with the least exertion?....yes.

Can I teach my art competently and completely?.....yes.

Can I show how much I care for the art and my students?....yes.

Can I impart that knowledge to them?.....Yes.

Think about that and ask yourself.......which of the two is more important?

I did and that's why I continue to teach.

Michael

Nice words, you really caught me!! As an isntructor I am a good one. My sambonim has said to me all these years something like this: Manny, you are like an old Ferrari wich needs a good engine tuning, the great engine is inside the Ferrari you only need to work on it, other words like these too: Manny you are a truly TKD man you love it, and things like these.

When I do sparring I always go to sambunim to ask him how I was and he always told me fine, very fine, as you can see my sambonim always encourage me, the relationship beetwen us very good.

The little ones and their moms respect me and the young mustnags well there are sometimes a little goofy with me.

I am going to take a few days to rest about TKD waiting for my sambonim comabck from his trip.

Perhaps it's time to start to think about a grown man and forget the golden days and put the efforts on teaching.

Manny