Why it is great to be man

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We get away with a lot of socially unacceptable behavior, and blame it on “guys will be guys thing”. And what about the “dirty old man” handle. Now that covers a lot of missed steps indeed.
icon12.gif

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i'm looking forward to be a dirty old man. right now i'm dirty & approaching middle age, which gives the false impression that i'll someday grow out of it. i'd just as soon get that notion out of the way.

jf

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
We don't have to cook:p

???Don't you guys have pizza delivery over there?

I get to be a dad.....

Ya know.....my dad was an only child, of a different age, when children really were "seen and not heard." This made him have some pretty selfish tendencies. He also had a career that spanned a lot of different jobs, from cook on the trans-Canadian railway to sailor to Episcopal priest to college professor to psychologist. This multi-path career thing, and sailing are something of family traditions, as near as I can tell....:lol:

Anyway.....

He'd get up in the morning, and make these wonderful breakfasts-eggs, and bacon, sausage and potatos, wonderful biscuits (no, not "crackers," or "cookies", Mark:these things, which look like this-don't use that recipe though, use the first one....)usually just enough for himself, though on holidays he'd often cook breakfast for the whole family. On one particular Saturday morning-I must have been 8, because we'd moved out of the city-I got up to that bacon and potato smell in the house, and came downstairs to find dad eating breakfast...

Can I have some?

No, this is mine. (Selfish tendencies, remember?)

Where's mine?

Well, (pointing) get that potato over there.....

And that's how I started to learn to cook.

Later, dad taught me to sew and mend my clothes-in part because we're sailors, and always have been. He also taught me to clean house, do laundry, and iron my clothes. At some point-I must have been 9, because it wasn't long after the breakfast thing, but I was cooking dinner on weekends by then-I asked him why I had to learn to do those things..

Why do I have to learn to do these things? Isn't that what mom does? (Besides, at the time, go to school and work three nights a week as a nurse-this before becoming a shrink herself....)

Because I don't want you thinking that's what a woman is for

What's a woman for?

When you know how to do all these things for yourself, maybe you'll have figured that out......:lol:

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to make breakfast for my wife, as I imagine my son is doing for his-it's Saturday, after all....:lol:

(My dad was a very, very wise man-miss him every day....)

Last edited:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. C, that's a wonderful story. I too can cook and clean and sew and do all sorts of things that folks of a certain mental frame would consider "chick work". I also have a wife and 3 daughters who are able to mow the lawn, use a chain saw and drive a 4x4 vehicle over some very tricky terrain. I've never been one for pigeonholing folks into male/female jobs.

Raynac

Green Belt
Reaction score
I can take off my shirt when im working and it gets too hot :uhyeah: although i don't that often, increased risk of sunstroke and such. i usually have a pretty good farmers tan by the end of the summer.

not bleeding once a month is pretty nice.

not having to wake up early in the mornings just so i can look good. i can usually get that done quite quickly.

NO DIETING, argh that would drive me nuts, i think i would die. luckly for me being a slightly athletic 18 year old male ive still got a couple years of eating all the food I want before it catches up with me. my metabolism helps too, ive got friends who have gained 15-30 lbs since they have gotten here to college... i lost 5 lb

but the big one is that I get to have a woman as my partner. you ladies are great! seriously. stay just the way you are.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Breakfast at the Cuffee house-the wife, BTW, made that table of ours. Sorry, though, no pics of her in her pajamas, but, trust me, that's another reason I'm glad I'm a man.......eat your heart out....:lol:

Attachments

• $DSCN0679.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 128

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Benefits?

Wearing the same clothes days on end and nobody cares.
You can shave or not shave, doesnt matter
You can comb your hair, or not, doesnt matter
Can spend the whole day without wearing a shirt. Go to the beach, go to the cafe after, then for a beer, all shirtless.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He'd get up in the morning, and make these wonderful breakfasts-eggs, and bacon, sausage and potatos, wonderful biscuits (no, not "crackers," or "cookies", Mark:these things, which look like this-don't use that recipe though, use the first one....)

Ah. I believe that they are much like what we call scones. Thanks for thinking to clarify for me :tup:. I actually did not know (or at least do not remember) what it was that you fellows over in the States referred to as biscuits.

I'm pleased to see in this thread so many of my compatriots being rightly proud of the fact that they have skills that certain mindsets would term 'womans work'. I grew up the son of seamstress so, even though at that time schooling for me meant 'appropriate' classes in metalwork, plastics, carpentry, technical drawing etc, I am also a dab hand with a needle and thread. It's come in handy on more than one occasion at seminars when peoples fabric based kit broke :D.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Breakfast at the Cuffee house-the wife, BTW, made that table of ours. Sorry, though, no pics of her in her pajamas, but, trust me, that's another reason I'm glad I'm a man.......eat your heart out....:lol:

That looks delightfully delicious! And the table is absolutely beautiful. Your wife is quite talented. (and don't go there with that comment, lol! I'm being serious here.) :p Sooooo....when can I come to your place for a meal? :D

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Full English, that. Proper breakfast for a man.

Rita-that's the wife-says I have to point out that I got up today, as I do every day, at 3:30 in the morning, fed the animals, journaled, prayed and did my calisthenics-then commenced with the Saturday housekeeping, which included that breakfast,just before 9 (haven't changed the thing in a while, the date's off as well....)...to be followed by the Saturday class in the barn, and a run with the dogs...and I won't eat again until supper this evening, except maybe some fruit and maybe popcorn..... Most mornings, I just have fruit, yogurt and maybe an egg or some peanut butter toast.....

But I'll make something like the same tomorrow morning, to be accompanied by my NY Times... and will probably hardly work out at all......:lol:

That looks delightfully delicious! And the table is absolutely beautiful. Your wife is quite talented. (and don't go there with that comment, lol! I'm being serious here.) :p Sooooo....when can I come to your place for a meal? :D

Drop a line when you're in New Mexico, maybe I'll be around.....and Rita says "thanks."

Attachments

• $Bike, dogs, woodwork, folks and birds,08-09023.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 141

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A Man's A Man For A' That
- Robert Burns

Is there for honest Poverty
That hings his head, an' a' that;
The coward slave-we pass him by,
We dare be poor for a' that!
For a' that, an' a' that.
Our toils obscure an' a' that,
The rank is but the guinea's stamp,
The Man's the gowd for a' that.

What though on hamely fare we dine,
Wear hoddin grey, an' a that;
Gie fools their silks, and knaves their wine;
A Man's a Man for a' that:
For a' that, and a' that,
Their tinsel show, an' a' that;
The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that.

Ye see yon birkie, ca'd a lord,
Wha struts, an' stares, an' a' that;
Tho' hundreds worship at his word,
He's but a coof for a' that:
For a' that, an' a' that,
His ribband, star, an' a' that:
The man o' independent mind
He looks an' laughs at a' that.

A prince can mak a belted knight,
A marquis, duke, an' a' that;
But an honest man's abon his might,
Gude faith, he maunna fa' that!
Their dignities an' a' that;
The pith o' sense, an' pride o' worth,
Are higher rank than a' that.

Then let us pray that come it may,
(As come it will for a' that,)
That Sense and Worth, o'er a' the earth,
Shall bear the gree, an' a' that.
It's coming yet for a' that,
That Man to Man, the world o'er,
Shall brothers be for a' that.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Advantage of being a man? I can work a toilet seat all by myself. If it's up and I need it down,...I can put it down. And I don't feel the need to whine to anyone about it being up, either :).

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Advantage of being a man? I can work a toilet seat all by myself. If it's up and I need it down,...I can put it down. And I don't feel the need to whine to anyone about it being up, either :).

I hear you. On the other hand, remember why she's there in the first place. It's a small thing-putting the seat down-and it let's her know that you're thinking about her. That's muy importante!,and key to maintaining a relationship with the opposite sex.

Or, you could do like I did, and build a house with separate bathrooms, so you can leave your seat any damn way you like.......:lol:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Or, you could do like I did, and build a house with separate bathrooms, so you can leave your seat any damn way you like.......:lol:

Oh for the resources to do such a thing :D.

Mind you, I have to say that I only have to deal with this particular issue very rarely as my missus has superb tolerance for those minor irritations (much better than me). I can count on the fingers of one finger the times this matter has come up.

I believe my diplomatic (irony quotes required) response was "You need it down all the time, I need it up most of the time. How hard is it to lower it when you need to? After all, I have to raise it again when it comes to my turn. Equality sometimes means more work for you too." ... something like that anyhow :angel:.

I never claimed to be a saint and always speak for the views of others than myself :eek:.

breeno

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh for the resources to do such a thing :D.

Mind you, I have to say that I only have to deal with this particular issue very rarely as my missus has superb tolerance for those minor irritations (much better than me). I can count on the fingers of one finger the times this matter has come up.

I believe my diplomatic (irony quotes required) response was "You need it down all the time, I need it up most of the time. How hard is it to lower it when you need to? After all, I have to raise it again when it comes to my turn. Equality sometimes means more work for you too." ... something like that anyhow :angel:.

I never claimed to be a saint and always speak for the views of others than myself :eek:.

Much easier to flick the seat down than it is to use all that effort to lift it up.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why it's good to be a man....

Any tree is a bathroom....and we're not afraid to use it.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
]I can take off my shirt when im working and it gets too hot :uhyeah: [/B]although i don't that often, increased risk of sunstroke and such. i usually have a pretty good farmers tan by the end of the summer.

not bleeding once a month is pretty nice.

not having to wake up early in the mornings just so i can look good. i can usually get that done quite quickly.

NO DIETING, argh that would drive me nuts, i think i would die. luckly for me being a slightly athletic 18 year old male ive still got a couple years of eating all the food I want before it catches up with me. my metabolism helps too, ive got friends who have gained 15-30 lbs since they have gotten here to college... i lost 5 lb

but the big one is that I get to have a woman as my partner. you ladies are great! seriously. stay just the way you are.

And I can't ?
lori

Latest Discussions