- Thread starter
- #21
Does all Judo guy train "parry a punch"? My opinion is not important in this thread. I'll be more interested to hear your opinion instead.can't parry a punch to set up an osoto gari,
Last edited:
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Does all Judo guy train "parry a punch"? My opinion is not important in this thread. I'll be more interested to hear your opinion instead.can't parry a punch to set up an osoto gari,
Judo is a sport, not designed as a combat system and punching is not part of the rule set I believe. So, no need to learn how to parry one. I've heard of "combat judo" which may get into this. The root art, jujitsu, was more combat oriented and had some striking in the system.Does all Judo guy train "parry a punch"? My opinion is not important in this thread. I'll be more interested to hear your opinion instead.
Shuai Chiao (Chinese wrestling) is the same way. SC is a sport. Combat SC has integrated kicking/punching and make it into a combat art.Judo is a sport, not designed as a combat system and punching is not part of the rule set I believe.
We all need to learn:
1. jab, cross, hook, uppercut, overhand, ...
2. front kick, roundhouse kick, side kick, back kick, crescent kick, ...
3. finger break, wrist lock, elbow lock, shoulder lock, head lock, ...
4. foot sweep, single leg, double legs, hip throw, inner hook, ...
5. full mount, side mount, arm bar, leg bar, neck choke, ...
6. step forward, step backward, step sideway, stealing step, cover step, ...
Those are the tools that we need to have in our toolbox.
So, why is style important? Your thought?
Maybe you don't need to learn how to punch in sport. But in street fight, you truly don't have choice.
If everybody all spends 95% of training time to maintain their toolbox skill, the way you train your side kick should not have much different from the way I train my side kick. The term "style" will have no meaning.
Every time I train kick/punch on my heavy bag, I truly don't know which MA style I'm training.
So, a judoka is incapable of defending themselves in a street fight?
You can learn individual techniques until the cow comes home. Military combatives or police control tactics programs are often compliations of techniques from a variety of styles that have been evaluated and selected to meet the legal and practical goals of the program, for example. A boxer who decides to enter kickboxing could simply learn about 3 kicks and be competitive...
What a style or system does is provide a general structure and philosophy of movement to hang the techniques on. Principles of power generation, range, targeting, and so on... In a lot of ways, a style builds techniques from prinicples, rather than "that seems cool..." Having common principles makes it easier to combine individual techniques. For example, boxing tends to generate power from the shoulders, hips and foot pivot. Those principles might make adding a kick to a combination sequence hard, since the hips may be in the wrong place, and he might not be able to generate the power he wants out of the kick.
May be the question should be asked as: Why would anybody not want to learn the striking art?
When Sanda was popular in Taiwan, all striker wanted to cross train the throwing art.
In order to obtain a clinch, you have to deal with the flying fists and long range kicks.
IMO, sport is the path. Combat is the goal. Toward the end, the integration of
- kick,
- strike
- lock
- throw
should be your goal.
View attachment 33315
There is no simple yes or no answer for your question.
My answer is it depends on how much striking experience does that Judo guy may have.
A judo guy needs to enter kicking/punching range in order to obtain a clinch.
If a clinch cannot be obtained, his throwing skill cannot be applied. In a fist flying environment, the Judo guy needs to have striking skill to deal with striking.
Does all Judo guy train "parry a punch"?
My opinion is not important in this thread.
I'll be more interested to hear your opinion instead.
Judo is a sport, not designed as a combat system and punching is not part of the rule set I believe. So, no need to learn how to parry one. I've heard of "combat judo" which may get into this. The root art, jujitsu, was more combat oriented and had some striking in the system.
Old judo had a bit of striking, just as karate had more grappling. But the Dai Nippon Butokukai which oversaw TMA in Japan imposed guidelines to keep grappling/throwing from karate and striking from judo so there would be no overlap between the two arts. I think this was done in the early 1930's but not sure of the exact year.
I don't think style is important.
You learn pretty much the same regardless.
What varies is more a matter of when you learn things and how much you emphasize them.
You should be learning breakfalls and takedowns in a striking art, and you should be learning to punch and kick in a grappling art.
Schools that are all about competition would be the exception. You'll pretty much just learn the things that are allowed in the ruleset being used.
Judo does not necessarily train punch defense, however a basic drill that is done in almost every class is kumi kata, or grip breaking. Part of grip breaking is not allowing your partner to establish a grip. How do you do that? Well one way is by parrying his grip attempt. The concept is this same, someone reaches quickly to grab your collar or sleeve, you parry his arm away. Someone punches at you, you parry their arm away. To setup a sode tsurikomi goshi (sleeve throw) you grab the sleeve near the wrist, often grabbing with one hand to feed into the other. How do you break the grip? By parrying. Parrying is not a foreign concept to judoka, punching is.Does all Judo guy train "parry a punch"? My opinion is not important in this thread. I'll be more interested to hear your opinion instead.
exactlyJudo does not necessarily train punch defense, however a basic drill that is done in almost every class is kumi kata, or grip breaking. Part of grip breaking is not allowing your partner to establish a grip. How do you do that? Well one way is by parrying his grip attempt. The concept is this same, someone reaches quickly to grab your collar or sleeve, you parry his arm away. Someone punches at you, you parry their arm away. To setup a sode tsurikomi goshi (sleeve throw) you grab the sleeve near the wrist, often grabbing with one hand to feed into the other. How do you break the grip? By parrying. Parrying is not a foreign concept to judoka, punching is.
If your opinion is not important in this thread, 1 why did you start it? 2 Why do you continue to give your opinion?
In no way do I mean to diminish the value of history and traditional training/learning. It is invaluable to the strength and integrity of MA's as a whole (all styles).Hey Mark,
I'd say pretty much the opposite... style is instrumental... without it, all you're doing is learning generic actions...
Do you? That's a bit... sad, really. Whilst there can be some cross-over in similarly based and structured systems (we all have two arms, two legs, one head after all...), I really wouldn't suggest you'd learn "pretty much the same regardless (of style)", unless you're talking about different styles of the same art (such as different TKD variants). After all, if you're going to break down what I do, there's some 14 to 30 different systems (depending on how you want to break them up)... there's really nothing shared between them, even if there is some relationship or shared history there (HNIR/SMR/TSKSR, or Takagi Ryu/Kukishin Ryu, and so forth). Leaving off the wide variety of unarmed systems, I train in three different Kukishin-related bojutsu systems, I have bojutsu in Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu, there' bojutsu in Tenshinsho Den Katori Shinto Ryu, and, of course, Shindo Muso Ryu is all use of a jo (short staff). None of them have the same ideas in posture, engagement distance, tactical application, grip, power generation, range employed, and so on. In no case am I learning "pretty much the same thing", even though they are all staff systems from Japan.
Same with my sword arts... or my naginata sets... two sword... unarmed (jujutsu/taijutsu), and more.
That's part of a difference, but can be just as much a dojo/dojang/teacher thing than a style thing...
Again, I'd ask why? I'm not a big fan of the "I need a complete system, so I'll add in everything I can think of, regardless of the benefit, cost, value, or consistency with what I'm doing" approach... I'm more of the opinion that, if you think you're missing something in what you do, you should either find it where it exists, or look more deeply at what you're currently doing...
Sports based and influenced systems tend to be the more "technique-oriented", due to the limitations on the context and application found there. By that, I mean that they tend to focus on more and more techniques to cover multiple eventualities within that (limited) context... combative systems are the opposite, with less techniques that can be applied to a wider variety of uses. Honestly, that's one of the distinctions between what I would class as a martial art system and a sport system... but that's another conversation entirely.
When it comes down to it, unless a competitive system is for a singular system itself (BJJ, Judo, Kendo), then the training will end up more as John suggested, and yourself above, with everyone doing what amounts to slight variations of each other... and style (systematized, codified, formalised, structured expressions of particular values and philosophical beliefs) get more and more diminished. That, I would say, leads to the false belief that "style" isn't important, but it's an artificial construct at best, and is not really what a particular system, or style, is actually about.
This is the bullās eye. This is what it all comes down to, in terms of style.As a result, I wouldn't describe a style or system as providing a structure to "hang the techniques on"; rather, the techniques are the natural outgrowth and expression of the system in the first place. The statement of "a style builds techniques from principles" is much more on the money...
This thread is "Why style is important?" I ask people's opinions here. I don't draw conclusion, and my opinion is not important here.you're a very experienced amateur with a superficial beginners understanding and appreciation of martial arts. Nothing you are putting down here is anything other than your justification of your own deeply limited grasp of the topic.
Agree. A mixture of nationalism, government, politics of hegemony of various MA retaining their identity and influence, and in the case of karate (in the 1920's/30's) a vehicle for social acceptance of the non-Japanese Okinawan art (and Okinawa itself!!!). This last one very important here and a key point.The DNBK... ooh, that's a whole story there.
Just as there are numerous throws (mostly takedowns actually, different in nature than judo throws) in karate. Kata is like DNA, holding the histories of MA development. So, the genetic imprint remains - the issue is if it's still recognizable and more importantly, expresses itself in modern usage (curriculum). Funakoshi certainly taught throws in his style that became known as Shotokan, but this practice greatly decreased post JKA taking control. It is my understanding that throws are not part of JKA's curriculum (this may have been a fluid condition?)."Old judo" and "modern judo" have the same amount of striking in them.. it's found in the kata, where it has been.
The DNB had several guidelines communicated to karate's leaders (including Funakoshi) for the Okinawan art to be accepted into Japan's TMA mainstream: Adoption of the keikogi uniform. Removal of any reference to things Chinese. Establishment of a belt ranking system, formal curriculum and testing criteria. Competitive sport development. Basically, they were told to make karate more "Japanese." They had to play along to get along - at least on the mainland. Back in Okinawa they still pretty much did their own thing for the next couple of decades and still remain recognizably different from karate in Japan in overall flavor.oversaw, as part of the Japanese government, the implementation of martial arts in the school systems, and worked as a promotion organisation
and...At the time, the jujutsu section included all unarmed systems, so it also included the forms of karate that had come to Japan in the 1920's and onward... but I'm not familiar with any stories of them having influence on the curriculums
Karate was a late comer to the DNB, with the other arts well established and organized, each having their own structure. I think it's safe to say that Japanese culture likes homogeneity and organized structure with defined lines. Karate was striking, judo was grappling. While the DNB (having become funded in part by the government and accordingly obligated to them) may not have involved itself into the daily affairs of the various arts, they certainly had influence over karate's general direction there. The JKA also was instrumental in karate's modern development due to their standing in Japan's TMA world.but it didn't go as far as changing what was found in judo or karate
False. A āclinchā nor a block is required to apply throwing skills.A judo guy needs to enter kicking/punching range in order to obtain a clinch. If a clinch cannot be obtained, his throwing skill cannot be applied. In a fist flying environment, the Judo guy needs to have striking skill to deal with striking.
Hereās Osoto Gari in fights which did not require a block, clinch nor throwing a punch...So, you're saying the judoka has to know how to punch in order to fight? Sounds pretty much like you're saying no without saying no. So he can't eat a punch to enter, can't use kumi kata skills to block a punch, can't parry a punch to set up an osoto gari, can't sweep the puncher front leg with de ashai barai, can't do an ankle pick, a double leg( or single leg) takedown? All this without ever throwing a punch.
This is pretty much what I was thinking. Due to my build I very much tend towards in-fighting. Styles that prioritize close in fighting tend to just fit better mentally and physically for me at least. i also just plain have slow reactions to visual stimulus. Much prefer to be in physical contact where my reactions are faster. Some styles are better for this than others. I'm perfectly happy being in close contact and pretty much closing my eyes and relying on feel. Not all styles are geared for that sort of thingSupposedly Bruce Lee was of the opinion that as long as humans continued to have two legs, two arms etc. there was no need for different styles of fighting. Just something to consider. Personally, I disagree. Not only is variety the spice of life, but some styles of fighting suit particular people better. There is a lot of variation in the human physique. Some people have long arms and legs and short upper bodies, others are more built for squatting, and that's only to consider physique as opposed to temperament and mental acuity.
And that's without considering the fact that different styles might be better suited to fighting different opponents. If you're fighting somebody bigger and stronger than you, for instance, it makes sense to keep them at arm's length.This is pretty much what I was thinking. Due to my build I very much tend towards in-fighting. Styles that prioritize close in fighting tend to just fit better mentally and physically for me at least. i also just plain have slow reactions to visual stimulus. Much prefer to be in physical contact where my reactions are faster. Some styles are better for this than others. I'm perfectly happy being in close contact and pretty much closing my eyes and relying on feel. Not all styles are geared for that sort of thing
The Journal of Martial Arts had an article on parrying a while back. They basically said it was very useful and underrated, and applicable to all arts, if I recall.How do you break the grip? By parrying. Parrying is not a foreign concept to judoka, punching is.