Why didn't the TAGB adopt Sine Wave?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have never heard the term "sine wave" before. I Google it and find that clip. It seems to me that he tries to borrow the counter force from the ground.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have never heard the term "sine wave" before. I Google it and find that clip. It seems to me that he tries to borrow the counter force from the ground.

Bad illustration IMO

It's supposed to be more seamless,like this.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It seems to me that the power transfer from his back leg up to his hip is not noticeable. What's your opinion on this?

I see it as a consequence of an intentionally higher stance than you are used to see in for example Shotokan Karate. It is well known to make some compromises with power in favor of more flexible follow up for kicking. This is the best theory I can offer you at this moment.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here's how I do it.

I'm by no means an authority.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
_20200703_014236.JPG

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
intentionally higher stance ... to make some compromises with power in favor of more flexible follow up for kicking.
IMO, if low stance can generate more power than the high stance, the low stance should be used for training.

I agree that MA is all about compromise and trade off. But if we only talk about power generation training, we should try to generate power to the maximum even if we have to sacrifice speed and mobility by doing so.

When you try to

- smash a fly, you try to achieve the maximum speed. You should not concern about your power at that moment.
- knock down a wall, you try to achieve the maximum power. You should not concern about your speed at that moment.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree that MA is all about compromise and trade off. But if we talk about power generation training, we should try to generate power to the maximum even if we have to sacrifice speed and mobility by doing so.

I disagree. If you are in a self defence situation, you want to fire off and get out of there. Not maximize power that might backfire on you - break your hand, gass you out, etc.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I disagree. If you are in a self defence situation, you want to fire off and get out of there. Not maximize power that might backfire on you - break your hand, gass you out, etc.
I assume we are talking about training (no compromise) and not combat (with compromise).

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Forms is not power training. Power training is on mitts and there the mechanics is a bit more loose and less rigid.
Even when you punch on heavy bag, your body should still try to generate the maximum power. The body method should be the same whether you hit on a target, or just hit into the thin air.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But you did in the context of forms which is not power training.
Should the form training help one to develop the correct "body method" so he can generate the maximum power?

What's the difference between a side kick into the thin air vs. a side kick to hit on a heavy bag? I assume both "body method" should be the same.

Why should you treat punching differently from kicking?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The body method should be the same whether you hit on a target, or just hit into the thin air.

That would dilute the art aspect of martial arts and is totally uncalled for. Boxers don't go for power when they shadow box and their body mechanics is different as well. It's not meant to be power training.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Should the form training help one to develop the correct "body method" so he can generate the maximum power?

What's the difference between a side kick into the thin air vs. a side kick to hit on a heavy bag? I assume both "body method" should be the same.

Kicks are indeed less explosive in forms in order to not blow out your limbs since they lack cushion from a target. Against targets you employ more torque.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That would dilute the art aspect of martial arts and is totally uncalled for. Boxers don't go for power when they shadow box and their body mechanics is different as well. It's not meant to be power training.
Again, do you do your side kick any differently between

- kick into the thin air vs.
- kick on a heavy bag?