Repetitions in forms

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Punisher wrote:
But, in the meantime, here is an article about how applications didn't get passed on as karate became more popular.

From the Linked article: "Not only do the kata provide the techniques but, more importantly, they also include the principles upon which the techniques rest. The key thing is to understand "why" the techniques work. Try to get beyond the simple memorising of individual techniques and endeavour to fully understand the principles of combat upon which the katas are based. Principles are far more important than techniques. Principles can be applied in an infinite number of ways, but techniques are very specific and hence limited. You should aim to be an adaptable and versatile fighter. Endeavour to fully understand the principles and learn how to fight in accordance with them. Whilst initially this understanding will be on an intellectual level, you should aim to integrate these principles into your subconscious (this being the main purpose of kata practice). At this high level the body will instinctively act in accordance with these concepts and hence make the karateka extremely formidable. By concentrating on the principles, and the various ways in which they can be applied, a single kata becomes an inexhaustible supply of martial knowledge. "

So, it seems Ian Abernathy and I are on the same page. Not that the stated applications as now taught "lost" some "Real" or "Hidden" application that did not get passed down, but rather the Kata and applications taught were meant for people to learn principals or concepts. One of my favorite mantras is "If I teach you 100 techniques you my understand a single concept, but if I teach you a single concept you may understand 100 techniques.

Latest Discussions