What should a black belt look like?

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Here's what mine look like. A bunch of average looking folks in mismatched costumes.

1z6vy47.jpg

Isn't the dude on the far right Master Ken???? Ameri-Dote????

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like how this thread turned out. It's cool to see all these pictures. Spin doc, who is the dude on the far right in the american flag GI? That guy looks so tacky it reaches awesome.

I would not want to fight that guy. I would rather salute.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
No. Martial arts is about martial arts, not looking pretty in a Speedo.

I've changed a lot from this guy:

10356170_10207505402008183_2581320927078202587_n.jpg

To this guy:

11987086_10207180108716054_8166283153176805813_n.jpg

If you don't think I can kick major booty because I've gotten old and I've got a big gut, come on over here and show me your teeth. I'll tell you which ones you get to take home in your pocket. I don't have to have a 'level of fitness' to whip the everloving crap out of most insolent young upstarts.

All meant in good fun. As far as you know.
How nice. Usually people make them eat their teeth... not you. You let them bring them home for a keepsake.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
csgbltm1000029429_-00_mens-black-genuine-leather-belt-with-gold-belt-buckle-z010347.jpg

(joke answer)

IMO, a someone at a black belt level is someone who has put years of hard work and dedication into what they do. You can see it not only on there uniform but in there techniques. you ca. Tell even if there a not wearing a belt or doing a basic form you can tell be watching them do the techniques and know. That person really knows what they are doing.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I even practice kata in the shower.

you practice kata in the shower? That must be one big shower... id probably try it but id be nervous thinking i might try go for a kick then slip and hit my head on the ground or try go get in a horse stance and accidently fall into a complete splits...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you practice kata in the shower? That must be one big shower... id probably try it but id be nervous thinking i might try go for a kick then slip and hit my head on the ground or try go get in a horse stance and accidently fall into a complete splits...
It doesn't require a lot of room to do kata if you simply swap feet instead of stepping. Yeah, I leave the kicks out, but I know where they are.

Have you never done kata without stepping? Sometimes I do that in the dojo. Sometimes I practice the stances and transitions without the punches, blocks, or kicks.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's how Master Valdez and our KJN like them.

If you can't do a horse stance in the shower, you're not doing it right...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like how this thread turned out. It's cool to see all these pictures. Spin doc, who is the dude on the far right in the american flag GI? That guy looks so tacky it reaches awesome.

I would not want to fight that guy. I would rather salute.

The guy in the flag gi - his nickname in the gym is "Chink". Because if you have a chink in your armor he'll find it in thirty seconds. When people came to the gym to fight (we had an open door policy, everyone was welcome to come fight) they'd watch everyone first, they usually wanted to fight with Chink because he seemed the easiest. He's not fast, somewhat uncoordinated, and looks rather clumsy when he's fighting. He is the most difficult guy to fight in that whole group. He has exquisite timing, knows no fear, his left and right hooks seem to have radar and he'll sweep your legs out while he's hitting you.
He's been an undercover cop for many years and is one of the nicest people I know.
Even if he is tacky. :)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The guy in the flag gi - his nickname in the gym is "Chink". Because if you have a chink in your armor he'll find it in thirty seconds. When people came to the gym to fight (we had an open door policy, everyone was welcome to come fight) they'd watch everyone first, they usually wanted to fight with Chink because he seemed the easiest. He's not fast, somewhat uncoordinated, and looks rather clumsy when he's fighting. He is the most difficult guy to fight in that whole group. He has exquisite timing, knows no fear, his left and right hooks seem to have radar and he'll sweep your legs out while he's hitting you.
He's been an undercover cop for many years and is one of the nicest people I know.
Even if he is tacky. :)
Yeah, when it come to actually using your training don't be conventional be unpredictable.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I dunno. Why don't you get on the floor with them and see how many ways they can make you bleed?

We had a gym bunny come to our club once. Strapping young lad, came to show the sword nerds up. We did a card workout that day, and he wilted comically. He said "you guys are crazy". Note the instructors were two 40-somethings who could each stand to lose some weight (I was one). On another night, we broke a fit young firefighter who couldn't handle the conditioning.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wonder if I would qualify for gym bunny?

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
We had a gym bunny come to our club once. Strapping young lad, came to show the sword nerds up. We did a card workout that day, and he wilted comically. He said "you guys are crazy". Note the instructors were two 40-somethings who could each stand to lose some weight (I was one). On another night, we broke a fit young firefighter who couldn't handle the conditioning.

Did these people come back to continue their training?

Latest Discussions