Long time black belt needs help getting back into practice.

ShadowRonin09

White Belt
I'm a martial artist who earned a black belt years ago. And I'm looking to improve the quality of my training. I honestly don't know which is harder. Trying to stay in practice. Or getting back into practice. Either way, I'm afraid that my skills are too rusty. Considering how tough times have been lately. Any tips or advice would be helpful. I understand that I'm new to Martial Talk. But I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can.
 
I'm a martial artist who earned a black belt years ago. And I'm looking to improve the quality of my training. I honestly don't know which is harder. Trying to stay in practice. Or getting back into practice. Either way, I'm afraid that my skills are too rusty. Considering how tough times have been lately. Any tips or advice would be helpful. I understand that I'm new to Martial Talk. But I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can.
took martial arts 35 years ago for 3.5 years, guess i took a rest for 32 years and been back at it since 2021 plus taking BJJ all at 61 years old, working on my 1st degree black belt in Kenpo plus i have dyslexia, mild cerebral palsy, balance problems and hard of hearing, depending on how hard you trained before if you trained enough and hard enough that is in your muscle memory that will come back given enough time, that was the hardest thing i ever done was coming back after 32 years! after that first class back after 32 years i was wondering if i should have taken up music cause i was rusty too, but if you put your mind to it you can do it. best wishes and good luck cause the second time is the best.
 
I'm a martial artist who earned a black belt years ago. And I'm looking to improve the quality of my training. I honestly don't know which is harder. Trying to stay in practice. Or getting back into practice. Either way, I'm afraid that my skills are too rusty. Considering how tough times have been lately. Any tips or advice would be helpful. I understand that I'm new to Martial Talk. But I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can.
Stop picturing the 'old you', find a good class or gym and just start back at the beginning. This may or may not mean keeping your old belt. Clean your slate and things will be Much easier.
 
Any tips or advice would be helpful.
- Find a training partner.
- Help him to train what he likes to train.
- Ask him to help you to train what you like to train.

For example, you can ask your opponent to throw 20 punches at you so you can polish your defense skill.
 
find a good class or gym and just start back at the beginning. This may or may not mean keeping your old belt.
I just don't understand why people always want to find a new MA school to train. Have you already learned enough MA knowledge for you to train for the rest of your life?

His black belt means he has the ability to train for the rest of his life without teacher.

IMO, BB equal to university BS/BA degree. With BS/BA degree, you professor can assign you a book. You read that book and then write a report to earn graduate school reading study credit.
 
Last edited:
I just don't understand why people always want to find a new MA school to train. Have you already learned enough MA knowledge for you to train for the rest of your life?

His black belt means he has the ability to train for the rest of his life without teacher.

IMO, BB equal to university BS/BA degree. With BS/BA degree, you professor can assign you a book. You read that book and then write a report to earn graduate school reading study credit.
Many people respond better in group settings. Bonding is a great motivator for some.

FWIW, I do subscribe to the idea that you 'never lose your rank' but when there has been a long break it is oftentimes easier/better on everyone involved to just start back at the beginning until thinks start gel again. IMHO, there is few things worse than a training environment where there are several high ranking people who just cannot or do no know the curriculum. Much better to be belted accordingly. One Huge advantage is removing the imposter syndrome phobia.
I have had many people start back after longs breaks over the years. After talking it through and having a good understanding where they are relative to their break and what, it any training they have been doing, I always give them the option of keeping their belt or starting over (or at a lower belt). I would say about 60% start over/lower belt and skip test if/when appropriate.
 
There's some rust, but rust shakes off a lot quicker than it takes to build those skills in the first place. You've earned that rank, you are that rank. It doesn't go away over time. However, you're not going to be the same black belt even if your skills were as sharp. You're older. Your reactions are slower. Your recovery is longer. Your joints aren't as flexible. (Unless you've been actively working those things this whole time, and even then probably not).

But there's a saying in BJJ: if rank were purely about ability, Gordon Ryan would be the only black belt in the world. As you get older, your ability to fight isn't necessarily what makes you a high rank. It's your knowledge, wisdom. It's the things you've forgotten.

If you want to hone your skills again, then do it. Find a school and join. If it's the same style you trained before, then go in at your rank and just be aware what's going to be different this time around. If it's a new style, go in as a white belt ready to learn.
 
It makes sense to seek out a new martial arts school. But there aren't many where I live. And I have been considering on looking for a training partner. And I've research at least 1 or 2 apps to help with that.
 
It makes sense to seek out a new martial arts school. But there aren't many where I live. And I have been considering on looking for a training partner. And I've research at least 1 or 2 apps to help with that.
There aren't many where you live. What is available where you live? Why won't those work?
 
Many people respond better in group settings. Bonding is a great motivator for some.

FWIW, I do subscribe to the idea that you 'never lose your rank' but when there has been a long break it is oftentimes easier/better on everyone involved to just start back at the beginning until thinks start gel again. IMHO, there is few things worse than a training environment where there are several high ranking people who just cannot or do no know the curriculum. Much better to be belted accordingly. One Huge advantage is removing the imposter syndrome phobia.
I have had many people start back after longs breaks over the years. After talking it through and having a good understanding where they are relative to their break and what, it any training they have been doing, I always give them the option of keeping their belt or starting over (or at a lower belt). I would say about 60% start over/lower belt and skip test if/when appropriate.
yeah i was a green belt when i started back 4 years ago, had got that belt 35 years ago at that point in time i was just about finished with my green and move on the 3thd brown belt but things happen and had to quit, well this time is was about 1month later the instructor demoted me back to orange belt which was fine with me as i got to do the forms i already learned all over again, wonderful!
 
It makes sense to seek out a new martial arts school. But there aren't many where I live. And I have been considering on looking for a training partner. And I've research at least 1 or 2 apps to help with that.
What's the general area that you live? We've got a few members in some odd spots on here who might have recommendations
 
Sorry to get all Chinese Martial Arts philosophical here but…. Cultivate beginner’s mind. Basically approach it like a white belt
 
There aren't many where you live. What is available where you live? Why won't those work?
I can think of only 2 places locally. One is a small town dojo that's a half an hour drive from my home. It's the same place I studied martial arts at for a long time. But my old instructor long retired and the dojo is under a different name. And another place is an MMA gym. But it takes almost an hour to get there. And the traffic coming in and out of that area is a nightmare.

Sounds like a lame excuse. I know... But the drive back would take place at night. And why risk it during the time drunk drivers might be about?
 
What's the general area that you live? We've got a few members in some odd spots on here who might have recommendations
I live in the western North Carolina area. Around an hour from the town of Boone. Home of Appalachian State University. I don't really have a habit of watching college football. But I know that is on ESPN often enough. And that's not a small thing. Maybe that's the reason Boone, NC gets tourists and college students from all over.
 
Sounds like a lame excuse. I know... But the drive back would take place at night. And why risk it during the time drunk drivers might be about?
It's reasonable to be a defensive driver, but this sounds like an irrational fear to me to avoid driving at night completely.
 
I've been looking at FansFits. You know that fitness dating app? No telling if there is anyone near my area who's willing to train with me. And it never hurts to look for actual dates in the process. An attractive female pen-pal would be nice at least. And if I ever start looking for work as a personal trainer. FansFits also offers support for people who want to enter the fitness industry.
 
It's reasonable to be a defensive driver, but this sounds like an irrational fear to me to avoid driving at night completely.
I know that particular stretch of road between home and that gym. And the easiest way to go to attend that gym as regularly as possible is to move into that town completely. But that's not realistic due to the growing real estate prices. And most of the affordable apartments there are reserved mainly for college students.

And the obscenely high gas prices aren't helping either... And I've had to do expensive car repair services within the past year and a half.
 
I live in the western North Carolina area. Around an hour from the town of Boone. Home of Appalachian State University. I don't really have a habit of watching college football. But I know that is on ESPN often enough. And that's not a small thing. Maybe that's the reason Boone, NC gets tourists and college students from all over.
If you wanted to move a couple hours east towards raleigh I'd be able to teach you haha. Might be in that area come fall.

@Gerry Seymour how far is that from you? Do you have any recs in that area?
 
I live in the western North Carolina area.
Have you tried to find training partner in local gym? Some weight lifting people may be interested in MA training as well.

I have met a guy on the beach who trains MT. We start to work out some basic drills. When my arm blocked his roundhouse kick, I felt excited.
 
Back
Top