What should a black belt look like?

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Your post reminded me of a situation several years back...

A guy I worked with and I went to a bar for lunch. We were talking about MA and training stuff (he was an American Kenpo black belt, I was a Kyokushin offshoot shodan.

A guy comes over and tells us karate is useless, and we're too old for kids' stuff (we were both in our early 20s). We ignored him for a few minutes, then my friend issued a challenge..

He bet the guy $10 (who was about 6' tall) he could kick an ashtray off of his head without hitting him anywhere else. My friend was 5'5. The guy agreed.

My friend got into a sideways horse stance, let out a hilarious Bruce Lee shout, and side kicked him in the stomach. He then stood over the guy and dropped $10 on him nonchalantly saying "I lose."

The guy picked himself up off the floor and walked away quietly.

Definitely not the best thing he could have done, but hilarious nonetheless. If you knew him, you'd be amazed by his absurdity, but not surprised. He was 'that guy.'

Blew milk out of my sinuses, laughing at this.... laughed for 2 minutes.

Thank you.

"I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life; my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die."

Last edited:

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That is both entirely apropos, and one of the creepiest comments I've ever read.

They're just questions, Leon. In answer to your query, they're written down for me. It's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response... Shall we continue?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life; my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die."

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die."

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When did this thread turn into a Blade Runner quote-a-thon?

At least now I know what kind of people I'm dealing with on MT....:cool:

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What we were promised...
5901fb02240e3bdfc1477589b6ed6dd6.jpg
blade_runner_by_gunsmithcat-d4nclbh.jpg
e88cdf98076617d65dcd846c1dac2186.jpg
4067566235_d3d0acb83b_m.jpg
roybatty.jpg

What we actually have been given...
20161011_101415.png

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're in a desert, walking along in the sand when all of a sudden you look down and see a tortoise. The tortoise is laying on its back. Its belly is baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over. But it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping. Why is that?

Pretty sure the correct answer is to kill the guy and then get chased around by Harrison ford.