What MA cliches wind you up?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
look at you getting all medical:doctor:

That's how I roll...

The point being, of course, that there are an awful lot of things that seem pretty well black and white on the surface, but when you really look at them, there's an amazing amount of grey.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well... there is some debate about whether or not a virus actually qualifies as alive or not.

But on anything resembling a human scale, you are correct.

I think though, the virus will prove either be to alive or it will be proved dead/not alive, you can't be a little bit alive or a little bit dead lol. It's really one or the other isn't it in this case, some things may be grey but not this. :cool:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think though, the virus will prove either be to alive or it will be proved dead/not alive, you can't be a little bit alive or a little bit dead lol. It's really one or the other isn't it in this case, some things may be grey but not this. :cool:

Will it? We've been trying to decide for a long long time...

And I've had more than a few patients that can be accurately described as "mostly dead". How else would you describe a person who is brain dead? They may have a pulse, and most of their organ systems may still functioning. But they're "mostly dead".

With a simple form, like bacteria, life is fairly binary. With complex beings like people, "death" is a process, not a light switch. Yes, we do declare a "time of death", but that's arbitrary, and there is often still some life at some level, even if it's not sustainable.

That's sort of the thing about a cliche'... they seem to make sense, and they do, but only in a limited context, when you're very much in the "black and white" area.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And I've had more than a few patients that can be accurately described as "mostly dead". How else would you describe a person who is brain dead? They may have a pulse, and most of their organ systems may still functioning. But they're "mostly dead".

With a simple form, like bacteria, life is fairly binary. With complex beings like people, "death" is a process, not a light switch. Yes, we do declare a "time of death", but that's arbitrary, and there is often still some life at some level, even if it's not sustainable.

That's sort of the thing about a cliche'... they seem to make sense, and they do, but only in a limited context, when you're very much in the "black and white" area.

My point is though that people don't say well I'm a little bit alive nor do they say at a funeral about the chap in the coffin he's only a bit dead when there is irrefutable proof of something, it can't be 'only a little bit'. Someone in the hospital can be dying, which is what it is unless they are actually really and truly dead, 'dying' would be the expression you use wouldn't it. You wouldn't say to the family 'well I'm sorry he's still a bit alive at the moment or he's only a bit dead'. There is a state of dying rather than being a bit dead or a bit alive. :confused:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

Is that

or is it
rolling.gif

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cliché or phrase that is annoying.......heard in sports competitions including Judo and TKD......"to medal". One doesn't medal, one wins a bloody medal. Argh. Medal is a noun, not a verb. When commentators say someone has medalled, you think 'what have they meddled in then" Likewise 'to podium', again podium is a noun not a verb. :rage:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Cliché or phrase that is annoying.......heard in sports competitions including Judo and TKD......"to medal". One doesn't medal, one wins a bloody medal. Argh. Medal is a noun, not a verb. When commentators say someone has medalled, you think 'what have they meddled in then" Likewise 'to podium', again podium is a noun not a verb. :rage:

Actually, Irene, the OED on my shelf says that "medal," or, more properly, to medal, has been an intransitive verb since at least 1979, possibly earlier.
Don't have the OED online, but here's the Oxford Dictionaries (not the same as the OED, but English (as in Great Britain) nonetheless) definition:
VERB (medals, medalling, medalled; US medals,medaling, medaled)
Win a medal in a sporting event:they medalled in all the relay events
Decorate or honour with a medal:the most medalled athlete in Britain
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES

One of my pet peeves? Not accepting that language changes, and accepting those changes when they occur-rather than getting all exercised about it, with absolute language, and flaming mad smilies and all....

With ya on "podium," though.
rolling.gif

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, Irene, the OED on my shelf says that "medal," or, more properly, to medal, has been an intransitive verb since at least 1979, possibly earlier.
Don't have the OED online, but here's the Oxford Dictionaries (not the same as the OED, but English (as in Great Britain) nonetheless) definition:

One of my pet peeves? Not accepting that language changes, and accepting those changes when they occur-rather than getting all exercised about it, with absolute language, and flaming mad smilies and all....

With ya on "podium," though.
rolling.gif

It's an Americanism that has come over here...Meddling with nouns who s medalling now OxfordWords blog

Language changes aren't good when you can't understand what is being said......we have a beautiful language, new words do pop up all the time which is good, the mangling of words is not good and takes the language backwards not forwards.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
It's an Americanism that has come over here...Meddling with nouns who s medalling now OxfordWords blog

Language changes aren't good when you can't understand what is being said......we have a beautiful language, new words do pop up all the time which is good, the mangling of words is not good and takes the language backwards not forwards.

Language can't move backwards, any more than time can. :rolleyes:

From the blog you posted:

A quick look at verbs in the OED that first appeared in the 20th century shows that around forty percent of them are conversions from nouns. This century is likely to see another increase as we continue to coin terms for new technology.

Another Americanism for you: suck it up.
rolling.gif

Seriously.
Again, from the blog you posted:

I’ll give the last word to editor of the OED John Simpson who says “Just recently I was quoted on the medal-as-a-verb debate as saying ‘Get used to it!’ That doesn’t sound quite like me – monitoring the language neutrally as the OED does. But the sentiment is right: if people are using the expression then it’s out there as part of the language of today (and we have records of the verb since way back in 1966 in America). Will it be around tomorrow? Probably, but we’ll have to wait and see for that.”

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I don't have to suck it up, I can ignore it as being clumsy and ugly which it is

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I always think it's hilarious when Brits presume to judge American English. You guys kill the language with gusto. Can't understand a word most of you say, the colloquialisms and slang terms are so egregious. And don't even get started on the accents. :D

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is part of the problem, the are too many nouns and not enough verbs in karate. You should verb your stances to stancing. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Language isn't supposed to limit communication, It is moving forward; you just don't like it.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Viruses may not look or be alive, but they will get engaged by the electric charge your body provides; so, engagement is the big term, aliveness is the little term. I engage, dead looking pieces of aluminum to grow, like Chia Pets, all the time. I'm a fricken Frenkenstein. :) :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Language isn't supposed to limit communication, It is moving forward; you just don't like it.

What gave you that idea? Was it that I said I didn't like it? Duh.
Apart from the fact it's not moving forward, it's getting lazy and mangled, children are growing up not knowing how to write English ( or American if you like) instead, it's text speak which some use on MT.
Relying on clichés is as bad, lack of imagination really.

Latest Discussions