What MA cliches wind you up?

What gave you that idea? Was it that I said I didn't like it? Duh.
Apart from the fact it's not moving forward, it's getting lazy and mangled, children are growing up not knowing how to write English ( or American if you like) instead, it's text speak which some use on MT.
Relying on clichés is as bad, lack of imagination really.
I don't have a thesaurus on me, but I'm sure engagement and aliveness hang out together in there somewhere.

Languages are living things and believe me they can be taken backwards. Witness this from the UK, whereas most of us would say to a departing friend 'Bye bye, see you later' or something similar that can be understood, the youth ( and not always 'yoof') just says 'lateerz' and if that's not going backwards...
I love words and English so much so I'm at the moment arranging to do my Ph.D. on English language. 'Verbing' something adds nothing to the language except clumsiness, writers and others have always added new words to our vocabulary, interesting, descriptive and clever words but 'verbing' a noun adds nothing.

Languages are living things and believe me they can be taken backwards. Witness this from the UK, whereas most of us would say to a departing friend 'Bye bye, see you later' or something similar that can be understood, the youth ( and not always 'yoof') just says 'lateerz' and if that's not going backwards...
I love words and English so much so I'm at the moment arranging to do my Ph.D. on English language. 'Verbing' something adds nothing to the language except clumsiness, writers and others have always added new words to our vocabulary, interesting, descriptive and clever words but 'verbing' a noun adds nothing.

Good luck with the studying.

I always thought it added an, "ing". :)

So putting electricity to something that isn't alive so that it actually animates, does give it an aliveness. I'm not sure I want to get on the bandwagon of hating that word. :)

and that's got what to do with the price of fish or even my post you quoted?

I'd say get back to the OP but goodness knows what will come up next. :(

Getting back to your example goodbye is short for God be with ye; so, saying goodbye would have irked some anglophile when that started happening.

Getting back to your example goodbye is short for God be with ye; so, saying goodbye would have irked some anglophile when that started happening.

Anglophile? really? Can we just please get back to the OP?

I also love the English language, but I disagree completely that evolution of the language is good or bad. It just is. From Beowulf to the Canterbury Tales to the works of Shakespeare, English has been evolving constantly since forever. The idea that it can go forward or backward is an arbitrary and unhelpful judgement. It simply evolves. I think getting hung up on "verbing" is a little ridiculous. If it was good enough for Bill Shakespeare, surely it's good enough for me. :)

I do agree that people should learn to write well, understanding the rules of grammar. However, in addition to being able to communicate formally, written communication has become largely informal. I don't talk to my friends the same way I talk to my peers at work. My language with my family is much more informal than my language in a professional environment. Similarly, when I write a post here, it is informal communication. And a text message or tweet is even more informal.

Back