What MA cliches wind you up?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The biggest of the current martial arts cliche of all:

90% of all fights go to the ground.
rolling.gif

In fact, I wouldn't even call it a cliche.

I'd call it a lie.
Is it 91%? I can never remember. :)

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
The biggest of the current martial arts cliche of all:

90% of all fights go to the ground.
rolling.gif

In fact, I wouldn't even call it a cliche.

I'd call it a lie.

I referenced that quote earlier when someone posted some bs statistics. It's been true that most fights go to the ground in my experience but I wouldn't cite it as fact (unlike some posters here....ballen...cough,cough). I imagine it would be hard to scientifically come up with that figure but it may be possible to come up with something reasonably realistic. You'd probably have to go with a random sampling of a large number of youtube videos, that might be reasonably realistic.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I referenced that quote earlier when someone posted some bs statistics. It's been true that most fights go to the ground in my experience but I wouldn't cite it as fact (unlike some posters here....ballen...cough,cough). I imagine it would be hard to scientifically come up with that figure but it may be possible to come up with something reasonably realistic. You'd probably have to go with a random sampling of a large number of youtube videos, that might be reasonably realistic.
Don't hate bud just because I do it for real and you play at it in an oversize playpen

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Only 42% of UFC fights go to ground. As for the infamous, and mythical "str33ts," well, sure-one could say that over 90% of those fights go to ground.

Usually, one person hits the ground, with the other one standing over them. Go figure.
rolling.gif

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
"Aliveness"
Is aliveness a cliche? Either way it's an important and vital principal to include in your training. Real fight are "alive", I.e. You will get hit, and the attacks will be random. I see "alive" as the opposite of compliant basically. You need both methods to train but one should always be progressing toward aliveness.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is aliveness a cliche? Either way it's an important and vital principal to include in your training. Real fight are "alive", I.e. You will get hit, and the attacks will be random. I see "alive" as the opposite of compliant basically. You need both methods to train but one should always be progressing toward aliveness.

I am already alive thank you very much.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The opposite of compliant will be non-complaint, not 'aliveness' which is not really a word anyway because something is either alive or dead aren't they? :D

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The opposite of compliant will be non-complaint, not 'aliveness' which is not really a word anyway because something is either alive or dead aren't they? :D

Well... there is some debate about whether or not a virus actually qualifies as alive or not.

But on anything resembling a human scale, you are correct.