What MA cliches wind you up?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Take out his eyes man!! Go for the eyes.Like sure.If you like PRISON FOOD.for the next 5-14 years. But it was in Bruce Lee's book man.dtuhh sure, then must be really good idea.After all he lived on raw blood with protein powder mixed in.really healthy diet.Oh include pictures of how the guy looks when you take out his eye{s}.
Tai-chi is just for health.sure it is.That's why Yang Cheng Fu was a champion in China,and why the dogs who tried to bite him had broken teeth.That's why some of the Hung Gar masters waited 10 years before teaching it to their students.Wanted to know if student could be TRUSTED.
Light shines,darkness leaves.Keep shining.
You flick him in the eye so he won't notice you grabbing his collar bone. :)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I need to find more colorful places to train I guess I never hear any of this stuff

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
How about this cliche "a true martial artist....." This one annoys me too. It's like the saying "a real woman/man...." It's pretty subjective and people use it to define what they value most in martial arts and they usually never follow that quote with anything martial related. If you train a martial arts system no matter how lame you're a martial artist, even Dillman is a martial artist in my book and I'm not a fan of his no touch ko by any means. You could parallel it to artistic painting, if you pick up a paintbrush and paint with passion who is to say you aren't an artist? Same for martial arts. A lot of guys get caught up in "warrior wisdom" it's lame. Some fat guy in a kimono with an "ivory" handled dragon sword on the wall doesn't get to decide who is a "true martial artist". A lot of these guys seem to think martial arts is solely about some deeply spiritual, meditative, lifestyle. It's BS! Some of it makes sense and sounds good but it's the same new age martial arts stuff that's been around since the 90s maybe longer.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How about this cliche "a true martial artist....." This one annoys me too. It's like the saying "a real woman/man...." It's pretty subjective and people use it to define what they value most in martial arts and they usually never follow that quote with anything martial related. If you train a martial arts system no matter how lame you're a martial artist, even Dillman is a martial artist in my book and I'm not a fan of his no touch ko by any means. You could parallel it to artistic painting, if you pick up a paintbrush and paint with passion who is to say you aren't an artist? Same for martial arts. A lot of guys get caught up in "warrior wisdom" it's lame. Some fat guy in a kimono with an "ivory" handled dragon sword on the wall doesn't get to decide who is a "true martial artist". A lot of these guys seem to think martial arts is solely about some deeply spiritual, meditative, lifestyle. It's BS! Some of it makes sense and sounds good but it's the same new age martial arts stuff that's been around since the 90s maybe longer.
I beg to differ. A true martial artist is a person that actually trains. It isn't deep, but it is spiritual. :)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"I don`t need a weapon, I AM a weapon" Oh for frack`s sake...
Actualy saw that one at a tournament in weapons competition one time. The judges allowed it and I'll be darned but the guy placed in the top 3 that day. I guess you just never know

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
I beg to differ. A true martial artist is a person that actually trains. It isn't deep, but it is spiritual. :)
That's my point if you train, you're a martial artist. I think spiritual can be hard to define. Sometimes it has to do with dedication and perseverence which is agree applies to ma. Other times people relate spirituality to a more esoteric and abstract role.
"It's not a martial art; it's a martial sport."
Yes, because being proficient at punching, kicking, and choking people out has nothing to do with self defense. Haha :) I'm pretty sure I've seen someone attempt to say that here before.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest of the current martial arts cliche of all:

90% of all fights go to the ground.
rolling.gif

In fact, I wouldn't even call it a cliche.

I'd call it a lie.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's my point if you train, you're a martial artist. I think spiritual can be hard to define. Sometimes it has to do with dedication and perseverence which is agree applies to ma. Other times people relate spirituality to a more esoteric and abstract role.

Yes, because being proficient at punching, kicking, and choking people out has nothing to do with self defense. Haha :) I'm pretty sure I've seen someone attempt to say that here before.
Spirituality can be easily be defined as your will to live; so, anything that has a positive and empowering effect is spiritual. English speaking people use the term spirit, or good spirits, when referring to your attitude, but the root word is, "Spiritual". :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spirituality can be easily be defined as your will to live; so, anything that has a positive and empowering effect is spiritual. English speaking people use the term spirit, or good spirits, when referring to your attitude, but the root word is, "Spiritual". :)

That is probably Whiskey fella :)