Female black belt beats up maneating shark

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you explain shark fin soup? I think sharks have much to fear from us, not the other way around. That said, I don't go around sticking my head in a lion's jaws. But I don't think there are any stuffed human heads gracing any lion's dens.

Which merely shows that, in many ways, these creatures are more civilized than we are.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ongoing education efforts... don't swim away from a shark. That's how prey acts.

I don't swim and I don't go in the sea lol, nothing to do with sharks etc I just don't. Don't do swimming pools either.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't swim and I don't go in the sea lol, nothing to do with sharks etc I just don't. Don't do swimming pools either.

You're in the UK. I wouldn't go in the sea there either. Not without a dry suit. And some nice electrically warmed underwear.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
In the sea, the shark IS the top of the food chain. We certainly are not.

This is why I do not swim in the ocean... I can be standing on the beach...master of the planet.... lord of all I survey..... Step one foot in the ocean... I become part of the food chain.... I simply cannot take the demotion.... although I think bagua mud walking would be a great way to avoid stepping on a sting ray... it is just not enough for me... I NEED to be the APEX preditor and those dang sharks simply refuse to understand it is all about ME!!!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're in the UK. I wouldn't go in the sea there either. Not without a dry suit. And some nice electrically warmed underwear.

Just back from Cornwall where the sea is warmed by the Gulf Stream (you get basking sharks there, I was lucky enough to see one last year, enormous thing) but I don't do swimming, I don't in the South of France either.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is why I do not swim in the ocean... I can be standing on the beach...master of the planet.... lord of all I survey..... Step one foot in the ocean... I become part of the food chain.... I simply cannot take the demotion.... although I think bagua mud walking would be a great way to avoid stepping on a sting ray... it is just not enough for me... I NEED to be the APEX preditor and those dang sharks simply refuse to understand it is all about ME!!!

Ongoing efforts to correct the crap TV and Hollywood teaches...
You're still not part of the food chain in the water. There's nothing that looks at us in the water and thinks "LUNCH!!!". Even when sharks bite people, it's generally a reflex (you're in the surf zone and touch them and they bite without any idea what they're biting) and they spit us out. We simply don't taste good.

I've seen mud walking, and it's not bad, but better to learn the Stingray Shuffle. Bury your feet in the sand and KEEP them under the sand. As you walk, you push up a mound of sand that moves in front of you which disturbs the stingray and it'll swim away.
Also, open your eyes. Stingrays are not completely buried.

On a different note, I've got some video of an octopus off Cozumel and I have to say it is amazing how fast those guys can change color.

Come into the ocean with me, Xue. You'll love it. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just back from Cornwall where the sea is warmed by the Gulf Stream (you get basking sharks there, I was lucky enough to see one last year, enormous thing) but I don't do swimming, I don't in the South of France either.

Cornwall may well be warmed by the Gulf Stream, but it's not WARM.
I just looked. Cornwall water temp right now is 55F. That ain't warm. Cozumel is warm. Diving there December 2011, I recorded no water temp less than 81F, with 110+ foot visibility.

As with Xue... come into the ocean with me. You'll love it. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ongoing efforts to correct the crap TV and Hollywood teaches...
You're still not part of the food chain in the water. There's nothing that looks at us in the water and thinks "LUNCH!!!". Even when sharks bite people, it's generally a reflex (you're in the surf zone and touch them and they bite without any idea what they're biting) and they spit us out. We simply don't taste good.

Yeah I know all that.... but I am not overly fond of the whole being bit parts and the spitting out does not help much if the one doing the biting is 12 feet or more long. And it appears that Bull Sharks may actually go after us, if they are hungry and we are in the water. Could be accidental, could be intentional...either way.... I am not hanging around to find out. Chalk this unreasonalbe fear to a paper I did on sharks waaaaaaaaay back in high school

I've seen mud walking, and it's not bad, but better to learn the Stingray Shuffle. Bury your feet in the sand and KEEP them under the sand. As you walk, you push up a mound of sand that moves in front of you which disturbs the stingray and it'll swim away.
Also, open your eyes. Stingrays are not completely buried.

Actually, when I was a Sea World in San Diego they were showing us the Stingray Shuffel and the stingray area and my first thought was :hmm: mud walking

On a different note, I've got some video of an octopus off Cozumel and I have to say it is amazing how fast those guys can change color.

I have seen videos of that, it is rather amazing

Come into the ocean with me, Xue. You'll love it. :)

Thanks......no.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I know all that.... but I am not overly fond of the whole being bit parts and the spitting out does not help much if the one doing the biting is 12 feet or more long. And it appears that Bull Sharks may actually go after us, if they are hungry and we are in the water. Could be accidental, could be intentional...either way.... I am not hanging around to find out. Chalk this unreasonalbe fear to a paper I did on sharks waaaaaaaaay back in high school

Wouldn't that have been megalodons back then?

I've got video of Sue and I 80' down with a bunch of Bullies. Feeding them. No problems. They've been doing this without incident for at least 20 years off Playa del Carmen.

I'll lend you some SCUBA gear. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Wouldn't that have been megalodons back then?

Yeah but I was more afraid of the Pliosaurs back then :D

I've got video of Sue and I 80' down with a bunch of Bullies. Feeding them. No problems. They've been doing this without incident for at least 20 years off Playa del Carmen.

I'll lend you some SCUBA gear. :)

Not doubting that at all, it seems a lot of Bull Shark attacks are in shallow water and fresh water. Or at least that is the impression I am getting of late. What seems to be coming to light of late is there are a lot of juvenile bull sharks (6' and under) in fresh water. However I believe some rather large ones have been caught in some areas of Africa. But there are few Bull attacks in those areas and there are a lot of people in the water there but this has been attributed to the fact that there is a lot of food (fish) in those areas other than people. But again there is some speculation that the large ones are only there to spawn so they do not stay.

Hell Florida has Bulls in the rivers along with Alligators and Crocks..... now there is a vacation paradise if I ever heard of one

And thanks for the offer of scuba gear and as tempting as it sounds.....no

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
edit...duplicate post

Last edited:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I would LOVE to join you in the ocean sometime. I have half a mind to take up surfing. In the winter. In New Hampshire. And if it wasn't so damn expensive to have a 6/5/4 suit cut to size, plus $200 for that battery-powered underwear, I would be out there!!!!!!

(but, sadly, I'm not....)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah but I was more afraid of the Pliosaurs back then :D

Not doubting that at all, it seems a lot of Bull Shark attacks are in shallow water and fresh water. Or at least that is the impression I am getting of late. What seems to be coming to light of late is there are a lot of juvenile bull sharks (6' and under) in fresh water. However I believe some rather large ones have been caught in some areas of Africa. But there are few Bull attacks in those areas and there are a lot of people in the water there but this has been attributed to the fact that there is a lot of food (fish) in those areas other than people. But again there is some speculation that the large ones are only there to spawn so they do not stay.

Hell Florida has Bulls in the rivers along with Alligators and Crocks..... now there is a vacation paradise if I ever heard of one

And thanks for the offer of scuba gear and as tempting as it sounds.....no

Nearly all shark bites are in shallow water. In places where the shark can't see. If it could see, it wouldn't bother biting a human. That's why you should come down to the bottom with me. You're safe from the sharks there, unlike that scary dangerous shore.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dirty Dog

If you take Carol.... hide your Maglites... she likes to kill maglites :D

And any other indestructible flashlight. I have The Hands Of Doooooooom!! :lol2:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dirty Dog

If you take Carol.... hide your Maglites... she likes to kill maglites :D

Can't use a maglight underwater anyway. They don't seem to like the pressure...
Well, there are some people who have tried filling them with oil and that seems to work. I have one HID light that's used for night time videos, but other than that all my lights are LED. She won't kill them. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would LOVE to join you in the ocean sometime. I have half a mind to take up surfing. In the winter. In New Hampshire. And if it wasn't so damn expensive to have a 6/5/4 suit cut to size, plus $200 for that battery-powered underwear, I would be out there!!!!!!

(but, sadly, I'm not....)

Surfing dangerous. SCUBA...well, ok, it's not without it's risks, but the sharks don't bother divers. :D
And the current water temps off Cozumel are about 80. No need for crazy thick wetsuits or electric underwear.
Always remember. You can't outswim a shark. But you can outswim your dive buddy...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Can't use a maglight underwater anyway. They don't seem to like the pressure...
Well, there are some people who have tried filling them with oil and that seems to work. I have one HID light that's used for night time videos, but other than that all my lights are LED. She won't kill them. :)

You don't know Carol.... I suggest you read this again... she means it

And any other indestructible flashlight. I have The Hands Of Doooooooom!! :lol2:

You have been warned :mst: :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Nearly all shark bites are in shallow water. In places where the shark can't see. If it could see, it wouldn't bother biting a human. That's why you should come down to the bottom with me. You're safe from the sharks there, unlike that scary dangerous shore.

:anic: Oh..so now you want me to go in water that is over my head :uhyeah:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't know Carol.... I suggest you read this again... she means it

You have been warned :mst: :D

Maybe we'll skip the night dives then. You might enjoy a twilight dive though. Dawn and dusk are when sharks do most of their feeding...

Latest Discussions