What kind of a fighter do you fear most?

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The calm fighter. The one who in his mind has already beat you and is just there to show you how he did it.

The calm fighter doesn't scare me in the least, because he/she, unless truly mentally unstable, will know when the fight is over. They may decimate you, but you may have a chance to live another day.

Angry fighters on the other hand are my absolute favourite to fight. So many mistakes to exploit, so little time.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I suppose if Bruce Lee was lying in bed with a fever Woody Allen could have snuck up on him and pummeled him with a baseball bat or something, but in general I have to say I don't agree that on any given day anybody can beat anybody in a fight.

Why Not?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is always the law of unexpected consequences to consider.

The only time I've been 'dropped' helpless to the floor in my adult life was by my little sister - who was eleven years old at the time and (in play-fighting) popped her tiny fist into my solar plexus just under my breast-bone.

From black belt kung fu maestro to collapsed gasping bag of new-found humility in one easy lesson :lol:.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
At 6'3" tall and 235 lbs, at the time, I learned to fear 5' tall, 95 lbs female judoka, as they can toss my silly *** around like I was a 5 pound rag doll.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The angry fighter that knows what he is doing is fearful indeed. As a former self defense instructor said to my class, "Get ticked off, your twice as strong when your ticked off!" Yes, if your so angry you flail about without thinking your in a lot of trouble, so he said, but be angry and feel that adrenaline pump into you and use correct technique and you are dangerous indeed. Anger is your friend, use it, so my self defense guru said, in different words but the same meaning.

Last edited:

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
ANYONE regardless of skill size, weight or gender who is still coming after being totally unimpressed by either:

9 .45 caliber Hydrashok rounds or Winchester Silvertips

20 9mm+P Remington Golden Sabers

or 6 .32 H&R Magnum JHPs (depending on which Very Close Friend was at my belt at the time).;)

In all seriousness, in addition to the "Nothing to lose" attitude already brought up:

The guy who has no formal training in ANYTHING brecause by definition I don't know what he'll do.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The angry fighter that knows what he is doing is fearful indeed. As a former self defense instructor said to my class, "Get ticked off, your twice as strong when your ticked off!" Yes, if your so angry you flail about without thinking your in a lot of trouble, so he said, but be angry and feel that adrenaline pump into you and use correct technique and you are dangerous indeed. Anger is your friend, use it, so my self defense guru said, in different words but the same meaning.

An anger fighter, is a defeated fighter. The problem with anger is that is truly clouds a fighters judgment and makes them easier to exploit, if you know what you are doing. I used to be an angry fighter, until someone beat the piss out of me while I was in that state, and they weren't.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me it would be an outstanding street fighter or a Special Forces, Navy Seal, Marine Recon or Ranger and the like. The street fighter knows what works in the street, and to be outstanding it's a way of life. Through trial and error he has learned what needs to be done to survive, and is likely carrying a weapon. Perhaps most importantly he will be totally ruthless and will do whatever he thinks he needs to do to prevail, no rules on the street.

The Special Forces type has been trained by experts and likely is just as ruthless as the streetfighter. He also likely will be carrying a weapon and has learned to endure incredible pain, the same could be said for the street fighter. I would prefer to go up against a gold medal winning tae kwon do man or judo player rather than one of these guys, they fight with rules and without weapons, the former don't. All opinions appreciated.

This isn't to denigrate the Special Forces, but their great strengths are not in unarmed single combat. Their strengths come from excellent weapons and the knowledge to use them, and excellent communications and teamwork. Alone with just their fists, they are no longer the top of the food chain. And I say this with all respect, those situations are not the training focus of the Special Forces.

As for me, I fear anyone with a weapon and the will to use it. I don't carry a weapon, and I haven't trained very extensively in defending against them, so my responses will be all wrong. Anyone else I can just run away from, if nothing else.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd have to say someone that is so jacked up on drugs that they are insane and feel no pain.
This happened to me in the mid-80s. Found out what that *new* drug...PCP...was all about. ;) I still have parts that don't work right. And while I was sucking air through the blood..then sprayin' it out my nose on the exhale, he was talking to himself about how blue the sky was the whole time. :D

Good thing he eventually got bored...:)

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
This isn't to denigrate the Special Forces, but their great strengths are not in unarmed single combat. Their strengths come from excellent weapons and the knowledge to use them, and excellent communications and teamwork. Alone with just their fists, they are no longer the top of the food chain. And I say this with all respect, those situations are not the training focus of the Special Forces.

quote]

There is a lot of truth in this.

Now for a serious answer to thread topic. I don't fear any type of fighter. Don't read any arrogant machismo into this statement, I am just of the opinion that one must take each advesary at a time and not enter into the fight with pre-set ideas, or at least with as few as possible. That being said I am always more concerned when I am faced with the possibility of engaging an opponent that has high levels of physical fitness. I would rather fight a skilled fighter that is weak, slow, and out of shape any day of the week than a novice that is physically strong, fast, with good cardio. Fitness makes up for a lot.

Just my view.
Mark

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What kind of a fighter do you fear most?

Simply a man who doesn't hesitate and does not care if he is hurt or not. You may call them socialpaths or killers.

Many people spend lots of time thinking about SEALS or Force Recon or super ninjas but in reality its the person that has no compunction, no hesitation, no moral hangup, that is the one to fear.

And these types may not let you know they are there to fight nor give you warning.

And BTW, they may have no special skills.

Deaf

Uchinanchu

Green Belt
Reaction score
What kind of fighter do I fear most....myself. It really sucks beating yourself up! But seriously, if given a choice of fighting (defending myself) or running like hell, I'll go with running everytime (though my running skills are sorely lacking these days, due to bad knees- so it's a good thing I have some skill in the other option).
Fighting, in general, sucks. Injuries suck. Pain sucks (unless you are into that sort of thing). Broken/cracked bones, pulled/torn muscle, knocked out teeth, contusions, cuts, stabs, and ANY gunshot wounds SUCK.
That said, the one fighter that I fear the most is still myself. I have been around long enough to know that a fight can go any way and change on a dime in less time than it takes to blink. If you are put in a situation where you have to defend yourself, the last thing you are going to be thinking of, is the well-being of your attacker....

If I had to choose someone other than myself, though, I suppose I would have to say either a mean drunk, or a drug crazed (pcp) lunatic. They feel practically nothing when you hit them and just keep coming at you unless you break them down structurally (aka- break a leg).

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One who is willing to stand his / her ground no matter what.

Definitely, you can see it in their eyes, and their demeanor. ( No training required. )
icon7.gif

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
... one must take each advesary at a time and not enter into the fight with pre-set ideas, or at least with as few as possible. ...Just my view.
Mark

After I get done bein' scerred of the crazies, I'm gonna aim for this mindset.

Great point, ShihanSmurf!

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

I would respectfully disagree with you on this one. An old martial art maxum says, anger blows out the lamp of the mind. I tend to agree. Just something to consider. :)

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't fear the streetfighter or the former specops guys. I fear the lowly looking homeless guy who is either an addict or alcoholic(not that all on the streets are either). They have nothing going there way and with a little numbing of the body, they ARE extremely dangerous.

And pizza delivery guys. They have been delivering death in a box for years.

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Anger is one of those things that when your on the losing end of the stick, and your trapped, can give you an edge. However, this in my mind is a real slippery slope. I know when I was younger I had a very bad temper. If you let it go to far, all you see is red, and when it's over all you know is what happened before and after, but not during. Anger can make you lose all self-control. Like I was told for years by my grandfather, "You can kill a man just as easily glad, as you can mad." His point being, that when your fighting if your cool, calm, collected, you can do the same things calmly as you can when your angry. The difference being that you can remember what happened. As opposed to when the cops show up, and the guy isn't breathing and you don't remember why, he isn't breathing, other than he attacked you. Did he pull a knife in the middle of the attack? Grab a rock, a stick what? IF you lose control you won't know, and the object may not be readily in site to give you a clue. OR maybe your holding it in your hand, cause you took it away from him, and in the heat of combat stabbed the guy to death, but you can't remember. This is why I try to be calm, at lease enough that I can remember what happened. Even just a fight where the cops show up, and nobody dies, or is seriously injured, you need to be able to calmly explain what happened. Also when your angry you will do things that can go well beyond excessive. As in the example of taking the knife away, where as calm you may not continue to attack him with his own knife, angry you very well may. You can't make rational decisions when you let your self lose control. The thing is that once your angry it's very easy to let it go beyond just being mad. ANyways that's enough on this subject.

To answer the question posted by the thread poster. I'm not afraid of any man, BUt I'm always afraid to fight. If that makes any sense. I don't like it, and everytime I'm scared. Scared of what I'll do, and what my opponent will do. Like my dad told me all of my life, " Son I don't care who it is. I don't care if it's Bruce Lee, his knees are shaking just as bad as yours are." Really put things into perspective for me when I was younger. That guy across from me, no matter who it is, is just as scared as I am. So guess I'm a afraid of every fighter to a point, just not the man. He bleeds like I do, his bones break like mine do, and he puts his pants on one leg at time just like I do.:asian:

Latest Discussions