What do you think is the most ruthless?

DoubleZ711

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This may turn into an argument, but what do you guys think is the most ruthless martial art that is publicly taught? Don't talk about some art that no one has ever heard of, I am strictly speaking about something one can actually find a place to train in it.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
adjective without pity or compassion; cruel; merciless

You are not going to find an art that fits the adjective.
The prefix
ruth   /ruθ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [rooth] Show IPA
–noun 1.pity or compassion.2.sorrow or grief.3.self-reproach; contrition; remorse.
So in essence an art that has no remorse,cruel,merciless would be one that aims to kill or leave crippled. All arts have the potiental to generate this amount of damage but to kill with no remorse I do not think it is possible.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This may turn into an argument, but what do you guys think is the most ruthless martial art that is publicly taught? Don't talk about some art that no one has ever heard of, I am strictly speaking about something one can actually find a place to train in it.

Depends on how you define ruthlessness.

If you are referring to eye gouges and groin strikes, Kenpo has alot of that.

If you mean limb devestation and strangulation, BJJ has alot of that.

If you mean kicking someone in the had, TKD has alot of that.

If you mean rapid short strikes to vulnerable targets, Krav Maga has alot of that.

But if you mean put them down and keep them down, I'd recommend a CCW license and a .45 pistol.

Ultimately what makes a martial arts ruthless is the practitioner. They decide the level of force to apply, and how and when to do so. Some of the most ruthless monsters in the world never stepped foot in a karate studio.

-Rob

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
to kill with no remorse I do not think it is possible.

You can't be serious. I have to be misreading this.

Lots of people kill with absolutely no remorse every single day. Our prisons are filled with them, and the police only even bring about 60% of murders to trial.

Trust me. Killing without remorse is possible. Even murdering without remorse is easy for some people. And those are the kind of people you need to be prepared for.

-Rob

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All arts have the potiental to generate this amount of damage but to kill with no remorse I do not think it is possible.

As in an art that teaches strictly to kill without remorse is not possible because of usually moral ethics brought up in the teaching of the techniques.

Ruthless implies someone who will go up to someone and just break his arm because he want to not because he have to.

If an art had to be defined as ruthless it would be one who has no concern for another's life and aim would be to kill or inflict massive damage such as crippling and the likes.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As in an art that teaches strictly to kill without remorse is not possible because of usually moral ethics brought up in the teaching of the techniques.

Ruthless implies someone who will go up to someone and just break his arm because he want to not because he have to.

If an art had to be defined as ruthless it would be one who has no concern for another's life and aim would be to kill or inflict massive damage such as crippling and the likes.

Such as the martial practices which are taught to our armed services' men and women? They are taught to kill because they are told to. What morality is at play there? They may be given reasons, but they are trained to follow orders. There's an enemy. Kill it.

I see that you are making a deliniation between a ruthless killer, and a ruthless martial art, so I will partially withdraw my previous statements is so much as I thought you were simply making the blanket statement that it was not possible to kill without remorse. I see now that you are saying it is not possible for an art to teach strictly to kill.

I would still disagree however. There are many perverts, pedophiles, and psychopaths teaching martial arts. Merely being exposed to combatives does not teach morality, it is the decision of the student and teacher to introduce that aspect into the instruction. Even when it is, not everyone will take it to heart.

I have met remorseless killers. I'm not bragging. You probably have too and not even realized it. They eat at McDonalds and shop at Walmart just like the rest of us. Just because someone teaches them how to punch and kick, doesn't mean that person bothered to teach them when or why to punch and kick, or that they listened.

-Rob

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't think there is a martial art that is the most ruthless. There are some that are "more" violent than others. For example, aikijujutsu is more violent than aikido. Krav maga is more violent than olympic TKD. The point is that all combative MA teach dangerous techniques to cripple and kill. Ruthlessness is in the eye of the beholder. If I kill a man for looking at me funny that would be ruthless and evil, but if I kill him for trying to stab me and show no remorese for it, I don't view that as ruthless since it is justified. The word "ruthless" makes me think of an evil person, and although I am willing to destroy my enemy I do not consider myself ruthless.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ruthlessness is all about the practitioner not the art. With a little training and knowledge of the body's weak points anybody can be a killing machine. Fact is, self defense is about using as little force necessary to keep you alive and safe without having you up on murder charges.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

IMHO, any art has the potential to be what you describe. However, and again, this is just my opinion, but I feel that a very large percentage of it comes down to how you train. You can take 2 exact arts. One group trains very relaxed, no pressure, no or very little contact, etc. Group two has hard contact, fights hard, and puts the students under stress/pressure when doing certain aspects of training.

So, going on that, I'd say group 2 would probably be more along the lines of what you're looking for.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The question from the OP is what martial art is the most ruthless. there's no answer to that. As others have said it's the 'user' that is ruthless the art isn't. It's like asking which is the most ruthless gun.
As such a martial art is an inanimate object, it's the martial artist that makes it alive, if they are ruthless then anything they do will also be ruthless regardless of what art they practice. If they are that way inclined I daresay they can make yoga moves vicious and kill with it.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The question from the OP is what martial art is the most ruthless. there's no answer to that. As others have said it's the 'user' that is ruthless the art isn't. It's like asking which is the most ruthless gun.
As such a martial art is an inanimate object, it's the martial artist that makes it alive, if they are ruthless then anything they do will also be ruthless regardless of what art they practice. If they are that way inclined I daresay they can make yoga moves vicious and kill with it.

I like your description of the martial arts as an inanimate object. I don't usually think of it in those terms, but it is an excellent description.

I've seen some yoga moves that seemed pretty vicious to me. I have a feeling if I tried to stand on my neck it would kill somebody.

-Rob

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like your description of the martial arts as an inanimate object. I don't usually think of it in those terms, but it is an excellent description.

I've seen some yoga moves that seemed pretty vicious to me. I have a feeling if I tried to stand on my neck it would kill somebody.

-Rob

LOL! it would kill me!

Thinking about it further perhaps martial arts are a tool as much as anything else?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many have already stated this but it is worth repeating. MA are a means for someone to be ruthless. The art cannot be ruthless, as it is a set of techniques grouped together. Sure, most have a particular midset that the instructor tries to convey, but that comes back to a person, not the art itself.

And part of it also has to come from what YOU consider ruthless. You and I and many others will have varying opinions on what is ruthless.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
My old jiu-jitsu sensei was a bouncer, and had a rough life. 's a funny thing. I learned the same art as him. Only I had the fighting spirit of the energizer bunny without batteries, and he was like a rabid pitbull.

In a standing fight we were about equal. On the ground I could beat him with one hand on my back. On the street I'd run for my life because he'd put me in intensive care.

Really, it's the man, not the art.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I hope I didn't offend you with my argument.

I am not offended by anothers opinion just as I hope noone is offended by my opinion. In the end after thinking about it I believe we shared the same idea that it is the person and not the art just you had a better way of putting it.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am not offended by anothers opinion just as I hope noone is offended by my opinion. In the end after thinking about it I believe we shared the same idea that it is the person and not the art just you had a better way of putting it.

Cool. I wasn't sure if you were agreeing or just shutting down, so I wanted to make sure. It certainly wasn't my intention to offend, glad to hear I did not.

Always a pleasure.

-Rob

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The person, not the art. Makes sense to me. If I am defending myself, I will do what I can to win, but at the same time, being sure I don’t over do it, so as to jeopardize myself, where the law is concerned. Now give me something very near and dear to me, like my wife, or kids, and many a mild mannered person has gone to jail because of the ruthless things he has done in the name of self defense.

Latest Discussions