What got you into Martial Arts????

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wanting something to be able to defend myself with something less lethal than a double tap or headshot to begin with then.....
Having an instructor who moves like a large jungle cat show me the "Art" side of Martial Arts. And now I'm on a journey.
Lori M

Svart

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Loved gymnastics growing up and have always loved jumping around and anything physical. My brother did Jow Ga Kung Fu and used to muck around with me and show me some blocks and punches, so I soon as I got the chance to do TKD I jumped at it. Very very happy so far.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Like many others before me, Kung Fu Theater was a big influence. Then came Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris, "The Karate Kid", The Kickboxer movies, "An Officer and a Gentleman", Steven Segal, Jackie Chan, Jet Li...the list goes on and on.

Because of certain prejudices and misconceptions, my father would not allow me to train in my youth. As soon as I was free of his tyranical yoke, I explored what was offered in my area and came to call Hapkido my style.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
At the time my dad was an alcoholic, and I also had friends in it. So I also went. I needed the self confidence, and life didn't go as I had expected. My dad is sober, and now at 28 I'm getting back into the martial arts because it eats me alive I started but didn't finish.

My dad is sober now and I don't mind starting over, I just want to stick to my word of completing it after I had the bug for it. Once you get hooked you don't ever let go.

wrc619

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The first time I tried was a combination of a**hole kids in junior high and a lot of MA movies. My Dad had a couple of old Bruce Lee movies we used to watch. Also, Steven Seagal and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. That one did not last long. More recently for part 2(a decade or so later), I figured no trip to the Far East would be complete without martial arts training, like the original GIs that brought karate back the first time. I found a school I like, with a very understanding instructor.

:asian:

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This might be :-offtopic

Reading about how many were picked on. It reminded me of one guy that we had in my high school who was taking TKD. This guy was all the time showing off and using his newly learned skills to intimidate me and just about anyone else around him. It did not reflect on him or his school very well.

OP
tko4u

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This might be :-offtopic

Reading about how many were picked on. It reminded me of one guy that we had in my high school who was taking TKD. This guy was all the time showing off and using his newly learned skills to intimidate me and just about anyone else around him. It did not reflect on him or his school very well.

I am suprised you still got into it, that probably wouldve given me such a bad image, I might have shyed away from it

GuroJason

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The first time I tried was a combination of a**hole kids in junior high and a lot of MA movies. My Dad had a couple of old Bruce Lee movies we used to watch. Also, Steven Seagal and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. That one did not last long. More recently for part 2(a decade or so later), I figured no trip to the Far East would be complete without martial arts training, like the original GIs that brought karate back the first time. I found a school I like, with a very understanding instructor.

:asian:

There was a point in my Kobujutsu days where I was quietly proud that I had trained in all the weapons the Ninja Turtles use. We did lots of sai and bo, and just one each of nunchaku and katana kata. We did other weapons, too, like tekko, rochin and tinbe, tunfa, to name a few...

What got me started was that I needed something to satisfy physical education credits for my homeschool program in 9th grade and I wanted to learn something more useful than sports. I kept up with it after I went back to public school too. It really picked me up and it was a great way to deal with my parents' divorce in a positive way.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me it was something I had heard early in life. Never saw a book on it till around age of 16 ( 1962) but bought that book and started studying everything in with my friends. Joined the first school that opened near me, years later. Changed schools and systems for more knowledge later on but have been studying ever since.

Reaction score
Van Damme... Segal... Ninja Turtles... Now all I need is a Power Ranger to make me feel even older... I got into it after seeing a few Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee flicks. I got every book out of the local public library on the subject. (all 3 of them... it was a small town) It wasn't until about 3 years later that I got to start training though.

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Van Damme... Segal... Ninja Turtles... Now all I need is a Power Ranger to make me feel even older... I got into it after seeing a few Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee flicks. I got every book out of the local public library on the subject. (all 3 of them... it was a small town) It wasn't until about 3 years later that I got to start training though.

This could have been my post.

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am suprised you still got into it, that probably wouldve given me such a bad image, I might have shyed away from it

No. I already knew that this guy was not what martial arts was all about. It make me wonder about the instructor (Sorta reminded me of the Kobra-Ki)

CrimsonPhoenix

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hm...

I guess from watching the Karate Kid when I was a little kid. I always thought martial arts was 'cool'. Next door to a fast food restaurant was a dojo and I always loved to sit and watch them through the window. When I was 11, a couple of my friends started going to a class and I followed along shortly.

Been involved in the martial arts in one form or another ever since. I'm only 17 now, but still that's around six years.

jtweymo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I hadda be talked into practicing martial arts
originally I didn't want to.

But the school of jujutsu I practice
has more focus on one's private affairs than it does
on fighting techniques.

I think that's why I ended up staying in it.

Now it don't matter, I been practicing this same school
for 30 years or so...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very simple and somewhat hackneyed answer in my case ... "Enter the Dragon" :eek:.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Simple. I grew up in South Texas, USA...where if we can't get Medieval on your butt...no one can. I was the youngest kid on my black, the older kids had a fdew years on me. I was the desiganted punching bag. When we played football, they'd throw me the ball and then pick me up and throw me AND the ball over the goal.

I evetually got tirede of that crap and I got enrolled in what was probbaly a TKD class (some sor tof Karate liek thing...dunno). Later, when we moved, my Dad took up Aikido and got me into it. He quit, I kept going.

I've been involved in the arts on and off since.

Peace,
Erik

Latest Discussions