What got you into Martial Arts????

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I started because I got into some trouble (I was grounded till I was 30)and to learn SD becase I was always getting picked on.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I always had an interest in the MAs, but we moved around a lot. My Dad was all about his kids' SD skills, so he showed us some things here and there from his escrima background and his time in the Air Force. Not a whole lot, just some...

I opted for the debate team, instead of the wrestling team in high school.

When I was in college, my siblings and cousins were undergoing a cultural remembrance/revivalist phase where all things in the traditional FMAs were studied. They got into escrima and kali pretty heavily.

I lived a long way from them, so I didn't get to train as much. But I savored the training times that I got to spend with them, an seek them out when I'm in town visiting family. I even went as far as finding a FMA instructor in my area, but at the time, school and work were more of a priority. So I opted to jog, lose some weight (I was a little porky for a bit), and get focus on my life.

However, I've realized that one art might not be enough... And being athletic (in my opinion) is almost as important as knowing technique. I got jumped by a group of racist drunks at Mardi Gras (they thought I was Muslim), knocked one guy down and then got my face stomped in by the six remaining guys. Luckily, I only lost a tooth, severe bruising all over my body, some broken fingers, and a really bad reaction to the morphine they gave me while on an empty stomach. Hurt ego? Maybe. It was more of a disappointment at the state of things in this country.

So I decided to window shop for anything that might give me an edge, and kept running into stupid business tactics, hardline egos, and an overall sense of insecurity amongst every instructor I met. And everyone kept trying to get my credit card number! I found more business than substance in many places.

I found my current club, and feel more confident as a fighter. It's not polished, but it works. I get a good workout out of it as well as knowing solid, fundamental technique. I first came to this place with some anger harbored against anyone that even resembled the guys who jumped me. But I eventually came to realize that my MMA club is where I find my peace.

Screw the jobs, the money, the bills, the women. For a few hours a week, I find myself free to react in the most efficient way possible. I get to play a chess game with my training partners when we hit the ground. I learned that I think like a bruiser when I enter the clinch... All with a group of guys who want nothing more than to train in MMA and have a good time.

My light FMA background? I found that it works in many situations, on a fundamental level. The interconnectivity of general concepts, once stripped of its label, is exciting to see and perform.

Latest Discussions