What got you into Martial Arts????

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just curious, I like most kids, watched van damme when I was little and thought, my god, he's awesome, i wanna do that! what got you into it?

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not what- WHO
His Name was Dave Hen__n. He terrorized me every day in school. The first time I had a chance to train with anyone- I was there. Haven't stopped since.
BTW- I ran into Dave a few years back after not seeing him for 40 + years. I was content that I could take him and pull the same crap he pulled on me. But, I didn't have to. Felt good.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Actually I realized that there were a lot of people out there who would love to pick on someone who knew nothing about fighting; I decided to change that.

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Old Movies..

No retreat No Surrender
Gymkata
BloodSport

to name a few.

Traditionalist

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It's a family tradition. We take from the same school in the same art with the same teacher, and if that teacher is deceased we learn from the student that he passed his school too.

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I had just turned 5 and wanted to join the martial arts school that my father trained at. Today is my birthday! I'm 25 today! My father is now a Master, 5th dan, in Tang Soo Do and I hold the rank of 3rd dan under him. It's amazing how fast 20 years can pass by :mst: !!!!!

Instructor Graham

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What a great story, To share something as important as martial arts with one's father is a rare thing.
Best to you both. :)

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The kung fu movies that used to be on every Saturday on what is now FOX. Also, USA network used to have kung fu theater on Sunday.

What really sealed the deal for me was getting tossed around by one of my cousins. I vaguely remember him saying it was a style of Okinawan karate.

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
For me the original desire came from watching Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris movies and kung fu movies on Saturday on TV. What brought it back was my daughter wanting to start 30 or so years later. I so wish I could have started back then, or even 20 years ago... *sigh*

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Watching Kung Fu with my dad when I was a kid, wanting to try something new after playing baseball for many years, and wanting to learn to spar better to surprise a friend of mine. I never expected to make it a life long journey.

OP
tko4u

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My dad was a fan of charles bronson and chuck "the almighty", and he used to sit me in front of the tv on weekends and watch bloodsport, kickboxer, kung fu (w/david carradine), and other ma movies. I always told him I wanted to do that stuff. I remember I saw van damme do a spin hook kick, and my dad said I would have to work really hard to be able to do that. I wanted to get my black belt to be like all the guys on t.v.

So now I am a 22 year old man, with a son coming in december. I have accomplished the goal I set as a child, but it means more than just the belt. I have found it to be more of a lifestyle.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I studied Shorin Ryu and Kyokushin when I was younger to try to be like Bruce Lee. After a long hiatus I got back into it 'cause of my wife, who seriously outranks me.

OP
tko4u

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My wife and I started together, and received our black belts together. She quit after that, but it was something we accomplished together. Hopefully my son will someday receive his black belt, and I will be standing right next to my instructor while it is tied on!

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jackie Chan movies, my love of physical activity and wanting something a bit "deeper" than sports.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just curious, I like most kids, watched van damme when I was little and thought, my god, he's awesome, i wanna do that! what got you into it?

1.Watching Bruce Lee in The Green Hornet, yes it was a NEW SHOW when I was growing up..

2.Having my butt beat once to often when I was a kid and being afraid to fight back..

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
my best friend at the time was in it and she was telling me something about sais so i went to her house and she showed me her pair of sais and i jumped in and that has been my favorite weapon ever since in karate.

Latest Discussions