What Forms Poomse Hyung do you do

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Miles,

Yes, Palgue 7 & 8 was published in either the late 1970's or around 1980. It has a green cover and is titled, "Palgue 7 & 8 of Taekwondo Hyung." The publisher was Ohara if I remember correctly.

You can order directly from Grandmaster Kim Soo on his web site, http://www.kimsookarate.com/misc-pages/books.html I believe he will autograph it if you order from him. He is very friendly and would welcome your call if you would like to speak with him.

I don't know if Taekwondo Times has listings for the book, but I haven't seen it in Black Belt Magazine in years. Our local martial arts supply store usually carries a few copies of each book.

R. McLain

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear All,

Our dojang practices the complete hyungs of Chang Hon (including Ko-Dang)...the original katas practiced by the Oh Do Kwan (Nihanchi, Bassai) are available to BB's but are not a requirement.

TAEKWON!
Spooks

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
rmclain said:
Hi Miles,

Yes, Palgue 7 & 8 was published in either the late 1970's or around 1980. It has a green cover and is titled, "Palgue 7 & 8 of Taekwondo Hyung." The publisher was Ohara if I remember correctly....
Thank you sir! I will do that. I hate to have part of a series....:)

Miles

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
In our traditional Taekwondo school, at least for blue belts or lower, we do Pinan (Pyung Ahn 1-5) forms. And i know the brown belts do these weird looking forms called "phonetically" basana... or something like that.

OP
DuneViking

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Interesting, I have never heard of basana form series (yes I I have lead a shelterd life ). Do you happen, or does anyone posting hear know of a website with information on them? Thanks again all for the input! :asian:

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
Terribly sorry, since I am not up to that level yet, I looked it up at school and it's one single form called: Bassai Dai
Not sure what that is, it's interesting to watch though.

OP
DuneViking

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Faye said:
Terribly sorry, since I am not up to that level yet, I looked it up at school and it's one single form called: Bassai Dai
Not sure what that is, it's interesting to watch though.
Thanks, familiar with Bassai dai or first Bassai (ref:see also Bassai Sho, 2nd Bassai). Japanese roots (Shotokan?), also done in many other styles including Korean TKD and TSD, at least in the early development of them. Follow up appreciated!

Tswolfman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Its Nice to Know im not the Only School that does lots of Different Forms.

(10th Gup) Ki Cho il Dan, Ki Cho Ee Dan
(9th Gup) Ki Cho Sam Dan, Chun Ji, Tan Gun
(8th Gup) Palgae il Dan, Taegi il Dan, Do San
(7th Gup) Palgae Ee Dan, Taegi Ee Dan, Won Hyo, Pyung Ahn il Dan
(6th Gup) Palgae Sam Dan, Taegi Sam Dan, Yul Kok, Pyung Ahn Ee Dan
(5th Gup) Palgae Sa Dan, Taegi Sa Dan, Chung Gun, Pyung Ahn Sam Dan
(4th Gup) Palgae Oh Dan, Taegi Oh Dan, Toi Gye, Pyung Ahn Sa Dan
(3rd Gup) Palgae Yook Dan, Taegi Yook Dan, Hwa Rwang, Pyung Ahn Oh Dan
(2nd Gup) Palgae Chil Dan, Taegi Chil Dan, Chung Moo, Kukki il Dan,Ro Hai
(1st Gup) Palgae Pal Dan, Taegi Pal Dan, Kwang Gae, Kukki Ee Dan, Empi,
Bassai Dae

(1st Dan) Koryo, Kukki Sam Dan, Bassai Sho, Po Eun, Ge Baek, Eui Am
(2nd Dan) Keum Gam, Jin do, Choong Jang, Ko Dang, Sam il
(3rd Dan) Tae Baek, Yoo Sin, Choi Yong, Yon Ge
(4th Dan) Pyong Won, Ul Ji, Moon Moo, So San
(5th Dan) Sip Jin, Se Jong, Tong il

Above that i'm Not tottally Sure About I do know to be an Instructor you need to know them all but just to reach Black belt and attain other Ranks it is 2 per Level required and to learn certain ones you need to know all lower poomse of that set. For Example if you are first Gup and you want to learn Palgae Pal Dan. You Have to Have Learned all Previous Palgae Forms same Goes for Taegi, Pyung Ahn, Kukki, Ki Cho, And Chun Ji Series(ITF) Also to test for Black Belt You Are Required to know either all 8 Palgae or All 8 Taegi Poomse.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wolfman,

How is it that you you do WTF forms and ITF forms at each gup level, and WTF/ITF forms at each Dan level. Why don't you do one or the other?

What are "Taegi" forms, by the way?

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think he means the tae guk forms...

I don't know, if you ask me, more isn't always better

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would agree. The brain can overload with too many techniques or forms to learn. Kind of like belts. Too many is not good for you.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
In TKD I do the Chong-han forms. In my Chito-ryu karate we do a mixture of the Shorin-ryu and Shorei-ryu kata. 24 forms in TKD, around 35 kata in Chito-ryu.

The number of Hyungs, kata, kuen that a style has can vary quite a bit. For instance some Shito-ryu schools have 60 empty hand and several weapons kata.

ResqYou

White Belt
Reaction score
we shall soon see, lol......but i will inform on what i learn of this. that is why im looking for videos of the poomse for white belt in tkd, online or dvd

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Under GM Hildebrand at the St. L school we do Tae Guek 1-8 and the Chang Hon tuls 1-8. So for each belt there is the ITF and WTF forms. It is a lot to learn sure, but it makes for a more rounded TKDist. I also know that for 2nd and 1st gup....brown then red there are three poomse per test. I have no earthly idea what the third one will be from, but I don't think they are Palgwe. I will find out tonight and let you know.

scottt

White Belt
Reaction score
I see lots of schools doing a mixes of lots of forms. That's interesting - I've always just learned the mandatory WTF forms: taegeuk 1-8 during the coloured belt days, then the black belt patters: Koryo, Keumgang, Taebek, Pyonwon. My next one is Shipjin I believe.

In some of the posts above it looks like there are some but not all of the black-belt patterns as I've learned them. Do some of you learn say Koryo, then Taebek and not Keumgang?

If so, is your school ITF or something else, or a combination of influences?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Us Chung Do Kwan Association we do the Tae Guek poomsae & Koryo, Guemgang, etc. We also do Da'lee Hyungs (poomsae that GM Ed Sell created) & Bassai. GM Brenda Sell created one that we do for 4th Dan.

I have also enjoyed doing the Pal Gwe poomsae & Chang Hon tul in my early training.

Latest Discussions